Delay in enforcing a fault

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by VeritasC&E, Apr 16, 2019.

1. VeritasC&E

VeritasC&E Regular Member

1) If you concede to any resolution upon a fault, is this final? (which would mean that your only options in case of disagreement are to concede or to stop playing)

2) OR: If AFTER the match is over you brought a video proving that a person has committed say 5 faults during the match for which the rules were not enforced, and that you were thus playing in grossly unfair conditions, is there any procedure to post facto force the match to be replayed?

3) Is there a way you can continue playing without conceding? (e.g. saying "let the point be counted as yours but I do not concede to this, and if this makes any difference at the end of the set, I will provide evidence and ask for that specific point to be replayed, or properly counted as a fault according to an independent evaluation of the evidence"). This would allow to have peace of mind about any unfairness and focus on the game, without wasting time if it makes no difference anyways, and would only leave the matter of how to record proper evidence.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    in no sports that I know, including badminton, allow post match review of calls. even in big money sports like superbowl, there are missed or wrong calls. fan cry foul but the in competition decision remains.

VeritasC&E and stradrider like this.
  3. VeritasC&E

So it's either you (1) concede or (2) refuse playing completely?

I'm also interested to know what happens when you refuse playing completely and there is no immediate resolution: What happens next? Am I marked as losing the game until my complaint has been reviewed? Even if my case is reviewed and there is evidence to prove that I am right, what can be the outcome when the tournament is over anyways?

4. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

What kind of fault are we talking about here?

5. VeritasC&E

Well, any kind I guess: Things like was the shot in or out, did the person hit above/pass the net, was there a double touch, does the person at time pretend to serve or do a fake movement right before actually serving. These are things I'm most confronted with and thus come to my mind.

6. phihag

phihag Regular Member

@kwun already said as much in general terms, but just to confirm, after the next rally is started, the old score is set. From the Laws of Badminton:

If there is no umpire, the players jointly perform umpiring duties, so the rule applies then as well.

So your options are:

1) Concede the disputed call.
    2) Play a let.
    3) Get an umpire, who will decide the situation (most likely play a let).
    4) Resign from the match.
    5) Stop playing without formal resignation, which will make you run afoul of §16.1/§16.5/§16.6/§16.7; in other words, you will be disqualified.

If you're playing without an umpire, you're playing for fun. A for-fun competition requires everyone to be understanding and friendly in resolving conflicts.

If you cannot live with that, get an umpire.

Note that an umpire may also make mistakes. Part of badminton, and part of any competition, is persevering even under adverse conditions. A player who is mentally distracted by one bad call is not a good player, no matter their racket and footwork skills.

Saru, speCulatius, LenaicM and 3 others like this.
  7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think that's the essence of it.

8. VeritasC&E

This is a well informed and well supported answer.

If I resign from the match, do I lose the match?
    If so, from the whole picture I have of the legal environment at a lower level, players who cheat in subtle ways are advantaged compared to players who don't (if they are dishonest either they win a point or the point is replayed vs a honest player who either loses the point or the point is replayed).

If that is the case, would a good way to deal with a dishonest player not be to just grossly fault as well without aknowledging a fault to make the other party understand that the game is going nowhere if they don't strictly play by the rules?

9. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

The best you can do is play a let like @phihag said. Even at the highest level during tournaments not all courts benefit from the Hawkeye system and despite the judges, mistakes are made so it's pretty common during club matches.

From what I understand you happen to play with a dishonest player and best is to stop playing against him.

VeritasC&E and kwun like this.
  10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    for repeated violators, i'd be asking the official for a umpire/linejudge before the match starts. that'd hopefully make it fair and give the opponent a hint at it.

in most cases though, it could be an isolated honest mistake or misunderstanding.

VeritasC&E and phihag like this.
  11. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Yes, the match is usually counted as if all further points were won by the opponent. For instance, if the score is 21:19 12:10 in your favor, then the match will be counted as 21:19 12:21 0:21. In round-robin tournaments, the organizers may also decide to simply not count any of your matches. Your ELO-style skill score will be unaffected. You will also not be able to compete at the tournament in other disciplines, at least on the same day.

Advantaged how? Yes, a dishonest player may win some more matches. But is that really having fun? On the contrary, the most fun to be had in this situation is probably having the mental discipline and skills (acquired by lots of training) to beat them anyway.

No. If you both cheat, then you're both not having fun. Plus, if a tournament organizer notices this, they may exclude both of you, or in the worst case, only you, because they saw only your cheating.

If you know a player is dishonest in a social setting like a club, simply exclude them, after talking to them and giving them a chance to improve.
    If you know a player is dishonest in a competition, get an umpire beforehand or during the match.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    badminton is a competitive sport but also a social interaction. sometimes we run into cheaters assholes. we just have to learn how to avoid and deal with them.

VeritasC&E and LenaicM like this.
  13. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

So far I have seen the OP finding the fault in other players and it is for sure important to understand the rules and know what is allowed... However don't forget that yourself you also have to behave according to the rules. From code of conduct for players:

4.2 Being a Model Competitor on‐Court
    4.2.2 Conducting themselves in an honourable and sportsmanlike manner
    during any match or at any time while within the precincts of the site of a
    BWF Sanctioned Tournament.
    4.2.6 Always using one’s “best efforts” to win a match.
    4.2.7 Completing a match in progress unless reasonably unable to do so.
    4.2.15 Not making a statement within the precincts of the Tournament site,
    directed at an official, opponent, spectator or other person that implies
    dishonesty or is derogatory, insulting or otherwise abusive.
    4.2.17 Acting in a sportsmanlike way. Not conducting oneself in a manner that is
    clearly abusive or detrimental to the reputation of the sport.

#13 stradrider, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    VeritasC&E, kwun and phihag like this.
  14. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

A shot in is legal, a shot out is not a fault.

For everything else, if as an umpire, I did not see it, then it did not happen.

As an umpire, I will have utmost trust in my teammate across the net to set me straight if I mucked up.

Pretending to serve is not a crime that could be penalised in the lawbook.
    The fake movement that you perceive may again not be illegal, as much as I would like to understand what you write.

Dont hesitate to write any thoughts that come to your mind; these are all recycled electrons and kwun is an excellent janitor!

15. BThane

BThane Regular Member

Hmm, I wonder if I can use this when facing much stronger opponents who go easy on me? Easy points. ;)

Rob3rt likes this.
  16. whatsthecallUmp

whatsthecallUmp Regular Member

There is no such action as resign from a match. You either complete the match, or retire, or not show up for match.

As to the other terms you use, I have no idea what you mean and am not keen in finding out. I have read most of your posts and the threads you started, and almost all start with some topic, then there is much gnashing to teeth, outpouring of bile, and such.

There is love badminton, friends, at one end, and then bam - unhonourful, cheating, dishonesty, abuse of idealist players, pushing beyond rules to their benefit, at the other. You seem to know much about your opponents' character. It also appears to me you may have angst and frustration, probably chronic, and it is good that you are getting all this out in this forum instead of, I am assuming here, directing all that hostility toward others.

When I go on the badminton court, I go with an aim to enjoy that time. When I find that is not happening, be it due to any of the things you wrote about, I come home and find another good reason to return to the badminton court.

So here's a virtual hug to you, and may you find inner peace and the reasons you play badminton, as a recreational or competitive activity.

17. whatsthecallUmp

whatsthecallUmp Regular Member

This scoreline is not correct. It will b: [Your name] Retired. Match won by [your opponent name here] 21-19, 12-10.

This is quite fascinating - this skill score has not got anything to do in the OP's question or what was discussed in the preceding responses. No need to respond, I have no interest in finding that out.

#17 whatsthecallUmp, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
  18. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

Don't you think it's actually a good sportmanship, when a much better player plays on a level with you and create longer ralliies where you can improve, rather than just one shot win all the points?

19. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Indeed, that will be the announcement and the result on the umpire's scoresheet. This is where the umpire's responsibility ends. But this is not a thread about the umpire's handling of the situation.

The OP was asking what happens if they resign, from the perspective of a player. For a player, the umpire's announcement doesn't matter. Players are more interested in what the outcome is counted as, for the current event as well as future ones.

For example, if you were playing in the Sudirman cup, GCR §16.3.8 would apply, with precisely the rule I described.

If the OP ever wants to play a tournament again (which I presumed), the consequences of resigning are also important. The effects of resigning on some kind of skill score may be very important, both for qualification as well as seeding.

VeritasC&E likes this.
  20. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

I think you and the OP understand each other well. Thank you for saving the rest of us.