Degrommet rackets

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by milou, Jan 3, 2020.

1. milou

milou Regular Member

Dear

Happy new year 2020

What is your technique for removing gommets from badminton rackets?

Thanks a lot about your different explication.
    Best regards

2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

There are many possible options an various tools available that are all working well.

1) https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32845734685.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1baf4c4dVIYqt2
    => Basically a screw with a handle. You screw it into the grommet from the outside and pull it out. That's what I'm using mostly and it works fine. You need to cut away the trumpet parts on the inside of the shared grommets before you pull them out.

2) https://de.aliexpress.com/item/3284...1.0&pvid=ecbca49a-77e1-4dd3-a2a1-b4124ebfd8d3
    => More convenient and faster

3) you take a simple wood screw and use it like tool 1). Simply screw it into the grommet from the outside a bit and then pull out the grommet. You may have to experiment a bit until you find the size that works best

I know others that start to push out the grommets from the inside of the frame and then grabbing and pulling them out with pliers from the outside. Seems to be working as well, although I clearly prefer the pull-out method (which is not to be recommended in other matters, mind you... :rolleyes:).

emjay, milou and speCulatius like this.
  3. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

If they're loose enough, I just push them out from the inside with my nail and then pull them out from the outside. If they are stubborn, or if they're flared on the inside I use a grommet grinder to turn them (also from the inside) to get them looser and then push them out.

To pull them out from the outside of the frame I actually like to use cutters rather than plyers, because the thin edge of the cutter more easily slides underneath the base of the grommet. All you have to do is apply enough pressure to grab the grommet but not enough to cut it and then you can pull it out. This means I only need to push a little bit from the inside, just enough to get the cutters in between the grommet and the racket frame.

#3 SnowWhite, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  4. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member