Day 6 - Quarter Finals

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by HoNgHoNg, May 11, 2004.

1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    The papers for tomorrow will sure have a lot to talk about Koo/Chew and most especially Wong CH. He lost too tamely. That is really something we can't understand. If he lost in close games, it's ok, but 2 - 15 in the second? Really really :confused:.

Yes, hit racquet hit the net.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i didn't watch the match, but Wong could've simple succumb to pressure and the thousands strong crowd cheering against him. a slight lost of focus will cause a losing streak like that.

3. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
    Whoa!!!! What a suspense!!!

Sorry Kwun, no Indo posting to the board coz all of us watching it live :p

However, I should say that KKK/Chan was doing sooooo great! I didn't expect them to stood still receiving all the smashes and returned them in such a pressure and suspense!!! Hooray for them too, they deserve a very good respect.

Now, time to go to bed. Nighty nite all. Should prepare my energy to shout on Indo when it plays against Denmark.

GO INDONESIA!!!!! Keep the Cup!!!!

4. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

WCH was faulted twice, one touch and one over.. couldn't really see from tv broadcast what actually happened but well, at least the umpire overturned the linesman decision in WCH's favour (which has never been done in Thomas Cup history)...

5. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Good night Malaysia, we all saw the end of our hopes and saw the birth of a new star in Koo Kien Keat. He and Chew took the fight to the Indonesians and almost turn from zero to hero.

2006, here we come. This time, it should be hosted in KL!

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. it will be INA vs. DEN in the semi final. as well as CHN vs. KOR. i have set my alarm clock earlier tomorrow to catch the action.

but same place here in BF, we will be following the match. bring some peanuts and your favorite beverage to enjoy with the rest of the BF gang.. :)

7. mirrura

mirrura Regular Member

part time dreamer
    Oh, will it be the same as the 2000 edition when malaysia hosted it?? Losing in the QF and then change of BAM president? :) haha...

8. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Spectra Says

I asked spectra if she had anything to say (she's on MSN with me) and her reply was:

"Na...."

Good night!

9. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Really? I didn't see the game but I think that kind of fault is not very often called
    in games...

But anyway, a bit disappointed by Choong Hann.

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Yeah i saw her as well.. she was like.. :( sobbing.

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Goodnight guys.. rest well see you again in the Semis! Go China! Go Denmark! Go Indonesia! Go Korea!

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    good night to the SEA folks. day just started for us!

13. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

good morning, good afternoon and good night.....

be early tomorrow :)

14. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I just wish Mal could end up in better draw next time, it is too tough to play INA in Q-Finals while the rest (China, Denmark, Korea) have weaker opponents to play against. In any case, Malaysia already done its best, win or lose, it is always my favourite team.

15. jwcalvin

jwcalvin Regular Member

Undergraduate student
    MAL players need to increase their agility. INA players were strong in smashing and have fast movement too. China will be a good competitor to INA players. MAL really need to harness new talents as our player's styles are easily predicted by other competitors.

16. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    Whoaaa left for lunch and thought the TUC website is having problem again because the score just stuck at KKW/Chew vs Flandy/Eng and then realised we already collected 3 points!!!!

Talking about value for money, I bet the TV stations in Indonesia are charging very high for commercials when it's a battle between Indonesia and its jiran (neighbor) Malaysia. Guaranteed good games and performance and millions of spectators.

Tough games again for INA with Denmark on the way, but I guess it's again a 50-50 chance for the two countries.

First time ever I feel so sad being away from Asia and feeling the torture of not being able to watch badminton on TV :( especially when it is held in your own country hoaaaaaaaaaaaa *sob*

Hey let us all try to send emails to IBF and ask them to losen up a bit of their broadcasting regulations. I think the reason why badminton is not shown in many parts of the world partly due to IBF's rules on broadcasting!!!!

To fellow Malaysians, we're still neighbors, right? :D

It's true that probably if WCH had won the 1st match, things may come out the other way around. That's what Indonesia and the first players are ESPECIALLY afraid. Sonny in his debut in the tournament managed to release the pressure of having so much burden being the 1st player and playing against his senior.

Well done, Sonny!!!

Roslin is too old already :)

#496 tama-aki, May 12, 2004
    Last edited: May 12, 2004
  17. sheelay

sheelay Regular Member

Student
    I'm really disappointed with Choon Hann's performance today.why does these kind of situation always happening to the Malaysian team?we were so near to taking the cup in 1998 & 2 years ago but was failed by Lee-Choong. and this time, they played well but Choon Hann lost....what can i say somemore.....Malaysian players are so inconsistent,sad to say. I think Indon team won because they r in high spirits, where else, Malaysia were kinda"afraid" of their rival indon..But good to c that "Triple K" Koo Kien Kiet is improving from matches to matches...at least there is still some hope in doubles for the future.anyway,congratulations to the Winning team, Indonesia!I always respect this team, becoz they r real fighters and they don't give up easily..Hope that the best team wins the cup!

18. SteveStanley

SteveStanley Regular Member

Kwun, how do you watch it live in CA? The Tennis Channel?

19. simple

simple Regular Member

Software developer
    I'm really disappointed ;(

Morning....
    I really cannot stand with WCH yesterday's game. I don't mind to see him lose but i cannot stand the way he play in second game. 15-2 he must be sleeping in the court and thinking about his Olympics ? I can accept defeat but i cannot stand he gived up without giving a tough fight. I used to like to watch him play badminton. I like the spark which come off from his eye. Just like the World Championship. Even he lost but i can see him tried and have a fight spirit. Come on WCH where is your killing smash ? We like to see it again! Pls? I really disappointed when he keep on send the birdie to let sony smash and he stand there and watching the birdie landing on the court.
    Anyway i really respect sony.... non stop smashing for almost an hour. I like his mentality. His desire to win. He likes a rocket dashed from one courner to another and go all out to play. That what we want to c malaysia team to show us. Good game for our second double. KKK i like your game even u lost. keep it up. Well done indonesian team.
    Bye guys :)

20. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I did not get to watch the match, but let me summarise my analysis after seeing the result.

I am not very disappointed as Malaysia was slated to lose anyway. I just feel sad knowing that we could have won.

Sony is a good solid player and Choong Hann is solid as well, but the local support is just too much for him. This is decisive. He has shown the same weakness before. Wish him better fortunes in the Olympics.

Roslin is over the hill.

Either the Malaysian doubles are showing signs of maturity or the Indonesian doubles fortress is not that strong after all.

Indonesia could have lost on any of two accounts. Firstly, if Wong Choong Hann had not let pressure get to him, he could have won. Instead he crumbled. On neutral standings, if the fight was based on best ability alone, Wong should win. Secondly, the Malaysian scratch pair of Chew/Koo almost turned the table on the experienced Flandi/Eng Hian, and if they did manage it, the third singles match, while not a foregone conclusion, is not a prospect the Indons prefer.

While the Indon lineup is ok, I question the ommission of Lee Chong Wei. If anyone in the Malaysian camp (other than Wong) can beat Taufik, it would be Lee CW. Roslin may stretch Taufik if he has the spirit, but he does not have it in him to defeat Taufik.