Day 5 - quarter final

Discussion in 'World Championships 2003' started by kwun, Jul 31, 2003.

1. shawntn

shawntn Regular Member

i just lost a house! :(

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Finally, the mighty CHN army received its 1st blow in WC.

And the unlucky KOR team finally got another representative to take a shot at the final, besides Kim/Ra.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Guess Wong CH is the happiest man right now. Who wants to face Chen Hong in the semi???

Who has the most chance to be the king of MS now? Bao?

4. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Tradition continues

So the tradition continues as the top seed bowed out, only few #1 rank players actually won the WC title. So the battle are betwwen
    #5 Xia Xuanze vs Boa Chunlai;
    #9 Choon Hann vs #13 Shon Seung-Mo

Any one has any statistic about which number of ranking won the title the most among 5,9,13. I don't believe there was any unranked player won WC title before? I think the title will be the battle of #5 and #9 and the records obviously favour Xia.
    There's a first time on everything though, think in a positive way?

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    so Chen Hong is cursed right from the beginning.

my head tells me that Wong has the highest chance among the four. he shouldn't see much resistance from Shon tomorrow.

on the othere end of the draw, Xia or Bao to play Wong? Xia has a good record on paper, it may be too much pressure for Bao and while he has done well so far in this tournament, the final of the WC and he may crumble mentally under so much pressure.

only time will tell.....

but this WC certainly surprised everybody.

6. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced

But Taufik said he prefered to face Chen Hong and Xia instead of Bao. I think the winner of Bao and Xia should be the favorite the win the WC.

7. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

It should be fun to see 2 tall guys (over 6 feet) in Bao and Wong, left handed and playing attack style playing in the final.

8. mozartcova

mozartcova Regular Member

Wong CH is notorius for loosing to lower ranked players. I won't be surprised to see him lost to SHON. If Wong does win, BAO will probably be asked to let XIA play Wong on Final although I think BAO vs WONG will be a nice game to watch.

Anyway, I'm going for WONG.

9. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Look at the overall performance in WC, China got to be the heavy favorite to win both TC and UC next year.

10. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    All matches are "Live" in semi?

ESPN website indicated 9-hr of braodcast live during semi which has 10 matches to play using only 1 court. Quite a clear indication that every matches will be "L.....ive"
    It's easy to decide who's going to advance to final in the China camp(MS), whoever win the first game shall advance if I didn't read coach Li's lips wrong ....

11. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Arghhhh.... I missed the great actions early this morning!!!:(
    Hey, looks like the curse came true, Chen Hong did not have easy life as what many expected.
    Now, a realistic chance for Wong CH to qualify for the final!
    Malaysia Boleh!:D

12. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Sheesh you people! Forcing me to read several hundred posts due to three days' absence.

What a surprise for me when I came back to the PC!
    Here's my (useless) thoughts.

- Is China MD finally coming alive and resembling Li Yong Bo/Tian Bing Yi era.
    I think Sang/Zheng have a higher chance against JR and partner than Cai/Fu against Wijay/Budiarto. However, Cai did beat the Indos earlier in SC2003 and may know better how to play them.

-For MS, it appers Chen Hong is fading from spotlight! Since his last victory at Denmark Open 2002, never won a title again.
    Xia surprised us all by winning in rubber set, but probably too tired to face Bao.
    It appers that Bao CL has fully recovered from injury and is playing better than ever! I was totally shocked when he brutalized Taufik H in such manner!
    I'm rooting for Bao to go all the way, unless China plays manipulation and forces him to lose to Xia.

-WS appears to be in the bag for China again. I don't really have a fav lady to take it, so guess whoever plays best win it!

-WD is definitely gonna be all-China finals! Wei/Zhao have never won against Gao/Huang if I remember correctly. Kudos to Japanese pair for making sems though!

-XD is prolly gonna be Zhang/Gao vs Kim/Ra but Chen/Zhao are by no means a weak pairing. Hopefully, Chen/Zhao can tire out Kim/Ra before a likely showdown with Zhang/Gao (no offense to JR of course as they have a chance to advance to finals also!).

Overall, China occupies 11 of 20 positions left in WC! Let the miracles keep coming.....
    Go China for 5 golds!
    Zhong Guo Jia You!

13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Ms- wch has best chance
    ws-mia audina not been tested yet, but probaly one of chinese.
    wd-the japanese today were awesome, although cruel by danish that they played on the right handed player every shot till she was exhausted. think gao/huang.
    xd-JONAS!!! but more likely kdm/ra never rule out gao.jun though.
    md-sigit/candra, no other came close to their standards today, zheng/sang lucky against chew/chan they are very weak in netplay, so think jonas/sig final

enjoy watched every point of show court today over 11hrs!!!!, my bottom and back is killing but was entertainment from the moment kdm was on in first match to the epic xia/johanessen right through to the drama of chen hong. his serving was woeful in final game-why di he not serve high, why did he not play rallies instead of smashing ewvery shot and being stranded, why was his netplay poor, why o why, i wish i had the oppuyrtunity to play like that and make the quarters!!!! fair play to korean though, his net play was superb and he let the over confident chen drop guard-more on chen later am tired now got another day 2mo.