Day 4 matches - day of promotion/demotion.

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2005' started by kwun, May 12, 2005.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Day 4 will determine the rankings of teams in each of group 2-5. the top team will be promoted to the higher group, while the bottom team will be demoted to the lower group in the 2007 Sudirman Cup.

Group 1 demotion - Thailand vs. Sweden

Group 2 promotion - Malaysia vs. Japan
    Group 2 demotion - Russia vs. Ukraine

Group 3 promotion - India vs. Poland
    Group 3 demotion - Bulgaria vs. Wales

Group 4 promotion - Switzerland vs. France
    Group 4 demotion - Norway vs. Peru

Group 5 promotion - Italy vs. Lithuania
    Group 5 demotion - Cyrus vs. Turkey

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Group 1 5/6 - England vs. Hong Kong China (ahh Kwun was going for promotion/demotion only right?! :eek: )

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. i see promotion/demotion is more significant than the internal group rankings.

4. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Yap's wish granted

Yap Kim Hock got his wish, Malaysia against Japan and avoiding Singapore. Now lets hope history doesn't repeat itself like in 2003. I think Wong Choon Hann will be use as Mix Doubles again so Koo Kean Keat can concetrate on MD. As for MS, I think both Hafiz and Lee Chong Wei will do the job aginast Sato but I rather field Lee Chong Wei than Hafiz for stability.
    May the force be with Team Malaysia!

5. KourKK

KourKK Regular Member

For the group one demotion, i see thailand beating the Swedes 3-2 or 4-1, i dont think an upset for the Swedes is likely.

For Group 2, i think malaysia could edge out japan (hopefully) And like Han said, i think that LCW will be fielded for singles, with WCH possibly partnering WPT for Mixed, leaving KKK and CCM to tackle the mens doubles, I dont think that Sato will be capable of a fight agaisnt Hafiz or LCW, but its much more even for the other 4 matches, although i think the malaysian women could clinch promotion for the malaysians

6. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    I watch Sato play WCH on your AE05 dvd. This guy is super fast, even faster than Lin Dan and LCW, but just make many mistakes. Malaysian team better not over confident.

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    So only one country can be promoted and demoted for every two years the Sudirman Cup is played.

With eight teams competing in each group, wouldn't it be more challenging and fairer for two to be promoted and demoted, I wonder? :)

The waiting time of two years is a bit long, unless they change it to one year. Then the present rule may be more acceptable.

8. kyiyu

kyiyu Regular Member

General Manager
    Agreed with your opinion.

With current rules, the bottom team needs 8 to 10 years to get the top flight which is almost equal or longer than a player's prime time.

Like Pi Honyan, she might not have chance at all to play in top flight, even the France team improve drastically by miracle.

Tournament should have more team for promotion / demotion.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    nobody's following?

Singapore is 2-0 up against Netherlands. one point from XD, one point from MS.

Li Li is now playing Van Cutsen (huh? what happened to Yao Jie?) and won first game already.

10. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Like you said, it's a meaningless tie for both Singapore and Holland.

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Would have loved to watch, but can't take another day off from the office. I was indoors whole of yesterday to watch the morning and evening proceedings.

But I will certainly not miss this evening's quarterfinals 2.

Although the match between Singapore and Netherlands doesn't mean much in that not much is at stake in term of promotion/demotion, it is still interesting to see our players in action.

12. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Singapore 3-0. Well done :)

13. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Russia and Ukraine are tied at 2-2. Whoever loses the WD match will drop to Group 3.

14. Netasia

Netasia Regular Member

Congratulations SINGAPORE!!!:D

any singaporean notice how our local TV news media supported badminton by NOT reporting any outcome at all?:mad:

However the TV news sure cover a lot of tennis, golf etc...which I can say is less popular here.

15. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Results

I thought the SCV has coverage of Singapore badminton in action? I wonder how can we influence Yahoo so the Sudimran Cup results will be posted there? Any idea, Kwun?

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yahoo? why yahoo?

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, we do have coverage yesterday morning and evening. Same for today.
    SuperSports (Ch 22) telecasts the QF1 at 9.30 am and the QF2 at 7 pm.

Tomorrow will be another day of badminton feast and in addition, the earlier tie between Singapore and Germany will be shown at 5 am, early morning, followed by the Semi Finals.

Can't complain much over here as far as live telecasts of the SC is concerned!

As to news coverage, we do have some when Singapore plays. :)

18. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    My opinion

Or Google, at least these are the most popular sites visited by millions. For example, if I wish to find out the results of Tennis, I know for sure these two sites will have the latest. Certainly BF has provided the service in that area on most tournaments but still have many smaller tournaments where results can hardly be found within reasonable time? This is one way to mainstream badminton, in my opinion.
    I recall long time ago someone requested San Jose Mercury News to put the CA open results on newspaper(Back then there was a CA Golden Bear tournament annually at Sunnyvale Sports Community Center) for the same reason.
    Big name sponsor like Nike will take notice about this sport if coverage is enough not just from TV, also some other media.

19. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Thailand v Sweden
    There is not much that Sweden can do to avoid the drop. XD is their strongest area and Thailand will still get the point for it. It is very probable that Thailand will finish the tie 3-0.

20. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Malaysia v Japan

Malaysia's perspective on opponents is like this:
    Will very likely lose against:
    China, Korea, Denmark, Indonesia
    Will have a good fight against:
    Thailand (narrow win with MS, MD, WS), England (narrow win/loss with MS, MD, WD maybe), Japan (narrow win with MS, MD, XD), Netherlands (narrow win with MS, MD, XD) - can be narrow losses as well
    Will most likely defeat:
    Sweden, Hong Kong (just lose WS), Singapore and others

As you can see, I don't agree with Yap Kim Hock who said Japan would be easier than Singapore. Singapore does not have a single sure point against Malaysia, even with Li Yujia around. A Malaysia 5-0 sweep will not be surprising to me.

With Japan, however, if Malaysia were to win 5-0, I will be quite surprised. Their WS and WD are much stronger than Singapore's. Their MS may be a bit weaker, but Malaysia's MS is too strong for either team anyway. Malaysia's MD is weaker than usual for Malaysia, and Japan is more in the position to take advantage than Singapore. Significantly for the Malaysia v Japan tie, the Japanese XD is weaker than Singapore's and this may decide the tie for Malaysia. However, with Japan, Malaysia cannot afford a single slip-up. Against Singapore, if Malaysia slip up in MS or XD, the chance for recovery in WS and WD is quite significant. Against Japan, there is no second chance. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.