Day 3 matches (plus analysis)

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2005' started by kwun, May 11, 2005.

1. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Ok, thanks. Can't remember Juhl playing doubles, besides they'll win XD with her anyhow so Mette is more usefull in the WD.

2. other

other Regular Member

Student
    eng MD is not bad at all!

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Just keep feeding Blair that's all ;) Agree they could very well win it, have been playing pretty well, anoying the better pairs even and will probably win making the WD the key match ... or NOT HK pair is #15 in the world ranking it seems (just looked it up) might actually be a good match: #15 - #21 :cool:
    WS: will it be Wang Chen - Tracy Hallam? COuld be an upset but doubt it, Wang Chen is still ranked #5
    :eek: :confused: are Tripp/Wright ranked #9 :D Didn't look like it against Korea, hmm Emms/Kellogg #10, might be interesting again (assuming HK will field a doubles with Wang Chen otherwise WD to england), what luck :)

#283 demolidor, May 12, 2005
    Last edited: May 12, 2005
  4. other

other Regular Member

Student
    well it depends if robertson is able to play MD as well, if they schedule it so he gets enough rest. i mean clark is good and all, but doesn't have the mid court touch of robertson. i mean he nearly make more mistakes than yim in that tie against korea...or did yim make more:p...alright alright, their partners were just comparitively better and so it *looked* like they were making more errors:D

well, tracey hallam has played more opens i think, but Cann has beaten her in the recent nationals, and maybe someone wang chen hasn't seen much of will mean less pre-game intel and anaylsis? (i suppose they will have videos tho)

well ella tripp were playing a bit better at the end of the second set:p mmm there is a marked difference between the top 4 pairs and the rest of the top 10-15 (just look at the averaged points)

#284 other, May 12, 2005
  5. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Actually in 1993 Sudirman Cup semi-final, Indonesian beated China by winning WS, WD and MD.

6. butterflyk

butterflyk Regular Member

first of all, there is no such thing as 'beated'.
    second, I might be a little bit self-righteous when I made that assertion, which I believe holds true. Predominance is like a heritage being descended within the Chinese WD squad over the years. You may argue that they had ups and downs; nonetheless, no other countries have ever been able to hand any significant threat to China as far as WD is concerned.
    You are absolutely right that China lost in WD to Indo during SC93; it is also true that a week later China claimed the WD title in the world championships.

7. wirre

wirre Regular Member

IMO this was the worst draw for China (as proven previous Surdiman Cup).

Otherwise they will always be sure of 2 points from the women, but the korean WD are a real threat (the dane or indo WD have no hope at all to surprise). So now it is just one sure and one most likely....but not granted any more.

And although Korea probably have the weakest MS of all the teams in semi, an upset is still possible (although not likely).

Finally the MD and XD can go either way 50/50. In the past (like last Surdiman) I'd say this were 2 points "granted" for Korea, but with the developement in chinese MD and the weak korean performances against Denmark by both MD and XD I think the odds are even.

So China have one sure (WS), two most probable (MS & WD) and two 50/50.
    Against any other country they'd have 2 sure (WS & WD), one most probable (MS) and two 50/50.

My prediction: China wins 4:1 (loses either WD, MD or XD). They are the clear favourites and this time they should manage to prevent any upset.

It's also the worst possible draw for Korea (of course), since otherwise (Denmark and Indo) they would have one point "granted" (WD) and all the other up for grabs (with a little weak MS and maybe stronger WS). But against China they don't have any "sure" points any longer, just two 50/50 (XD & MD) and two possible (but not likely) upsets (WD & MS).

Indo vs. Denmark is too hard to predict. MS, MD and XD are quite even, one can argu pros and cons but IMO it's more or less 50/50 in all three events. And I don't know what to say about the womens events...........if any team can gain 2 points out of WS & WD then I think that is the key to success.

/ mats

#287 wirre, May 12, 2005
  8. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    What happened between Korea vs Denmark?

For those that watched it, what happened between Korea and Denmark? especially MD and MXD...lost easily in two sets?

On current form and combinations so far in this championships, China will white wash Korea. Unless Korea has something hidden under their sleeves?:crying:

9. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    I must say these girls played quite well despite their young age. Polii is only 17yrs old? :eek:

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Your prediction of 4-1 to China doesn't seem to be well-supported if the above probables you mentioned still hold true.

You were sure about China securing the WS but less so for the other events. So in theory, Korea can still win all the probables and reverse your prediction by beating China 4-1 instead! :D

Maybe the final outcome will be 3-2, either way. :rolleyes:

11. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Korean WD have "always" been a threat to chinese domination. :rolleyes:

12. butterflyk

only not so signficant enough as to prevent the Chinese from cliaming one title after another; during the past 10 world championships, China won 9 times in WD. You might be able to say that the Koreans are the next best in WD; but threat? don't flatter them.

#292 butterflyk, May 13, 2005
    Last edited: May 13, 2005
  13. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

Lin Dan represented China in the Thomas Cup when he was 19 (so did bao...but he lost). Additionally, girls' bodies develop faster and mature at an earlier age than guys. So, despite her young age, the might already be at her physical potential.

PS when did Mia enter the international scene??

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if i remember correctly, 13 or 14.

15. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    And how about the Olympics? Korea took the gold in 92, silver in 96, bronze in 2004...
    And China didn't win many WGP Finals either, before Ge and Gu arrived on the scene.

Korea has always been a threat to chinese WD, whether you like it or not.
    This does not mean that they have been consistently better than them, only a threat... :rolleyes:

16. butterflyk

I wound't have wanted to say this, but you are just pathetic. So I declare that you win.

17. wirre

wirre Regular Member

I do find that I've supported my prediction, showing that China at least have 50/50 in every category, actually should be 100% sure in one and are big favourites in two.

So if we suppose no injury/sickness will make impact when *playing* I think China will win WS, WD and MS since that's what they are expected to do. And I also think the (IMO) 50/50 games will be evenly split.

But I also pointed out the dangers that lies in this draw for China, thus calling it the worst possible for them. Against Korea they have 4 possible failures, usually it's "only" 3.

So, yes it could go the other way too, or be 3:2 in anyones favour. But although my heart hopes for an upset, the mind tells me that China won't let that happen this time. Not at home soil, and with their eagerness for revenge since last final. Also conscidering that (IMO) Korea are weaker this time.

/ mats

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    be polite please. respect others and yourself.