Danisa Denmark Open 2017 (October 17-22, 2017)

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by Master, Oct 16, 2017.

1. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Not yet a thread, as far as I know.

But anyway, Tian Qing joined Sudirman Cup team at 2011 according to wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tian_Qing)

2. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

stanleyfm likes this.
  3. lasalleguy

lasalleguy Regular Member

wannabe player
  4. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    in the semis zhang nan was wearing a shirt with no stars. in the final he wore one with 4 red stars.

5. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Not every Chinese jersey have the "star system"

6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    it had stars on it, but they were all white. i have also seen other players wear the same shirts with a different number of stars on them during the same tournament, which is why i have no concrete idea how the system works. (3 stars one match, 2 stars next match, 4 stars third match, zero stars 4th match, etc.)

someone should ask one of the chinese players on their facebook or other fan sites. i don't participate on those. nor do i read or write chinese.

#1106 samkool, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  7. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

It was part of a vanity project by Li Yongbo to show off how many world champions he had "created" during his reign, e.g. the 5 main star outlines represent the 5 times that HE has personally won, err I mean lifted, the Sudirman Cup during HIS stint as head coach, etc...

Accordingly, each world champion he "created" would get personalized jerseys/uniforms indicating how many team and/or individual world championships events he/she has personally won FOR Li Yongbo, err I mean CHN, so that he could show off how he had made good on his promise to "create" 100 world champions during his reign -- by having 100 of them walking around with those starred jerseys/ uniforms...

But then CHN didn't even make the 2016 Thomas Cup Finals... and then they lost the 2017 Sudirman Cup.... and so Li Yongbo left the position of head coach having only "created" 92 players who had won world championship events under his stint.

So people mostly wear them because they had already been ordered/made; but nobody really talks about them because it's a just star/rating system Li Yongbo made up himself -- not sure if subsequent coaches will "institutionalize" this rating system which is nothing more than a way for senior players (badminton nations) to show off "their rank" to junior players (badminton nations) -- I mean, can you imagine Lin Dan doing something so tasteless as "wearing" how many world championship events he has won, as if it is a military rank that demands instant respect from you?

Tells you a lot about the way Li Yongbo approached sports management....

Aventus and pcll99 like this.
  8. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I think China was the strongest under Li Yongbo. I don't think any other head coach would be able to replicate it.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Why so negative ? What Li Yongbo did was a form of encouragement and recognition for the players, not only for himself. He wasn't sure he could reach the 100 mark, and it's entirely an internal thing for CBA, doesn't concern the rest of the world, no effect on them at all.

How many companies and businesses have Employee Recognition Awards, eg KFC's Employee of the Month ? Of course, the criteria can be subjective (and possibly subject to abuse, bias, favouritism) or objective, in LYB's case it's based solely on titles won, both team and individual, not a popularity contest.

Just because LYB ended up having to retire prematurely in no way erase or detract from his magnificent achievements as Head Coach despite some unpopular but hard, even risky, decisions he made during his tenure for which he was chastised even in China.

Still I believe if he could offer his services to any other MA, which country would not grab him ?

10. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    this is not LYB's idea, but Li Ning company.

yes, I think the 5 stars represents :
    Olympics, World Championships, Sudirman, Thomas / Uber Cup and the World Cup.

but for CBA, the World Cup is not count as major tournament.

I think CBA ranked China Badminton League / China National Games higher than World Cup...

Cheung likes this.
  11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Ah, I see, so it's Li Ning's idea, thanks. Makes sense since Li-Ning Company has been CBA's main sponsor for so long.

But, I still strongly feel the World Cup should be replaced by The Asian Games, The Chinese National Games, Superseries Finals, in that order, though the 5-star award is an internal affair.

12. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    as posted by @ lorachina

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...five-stars-printed-on-their-kit.110210/page-3

good idea :)

13. indrg

indrg Regular Member

What happened to LHI. The final was an anti-climax by losing badly in straight-set.

14. Master

Master Regular Member

His stamina drain out after hard semifinal match.