Correct speed of shuttle??

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Siddique, May 4, 2018.

1. Siddique

Siddique New Member

The players with whom I play , play with a slow shuttle.. I mean we have to use maximum power to throw the shuttle from back gallery to opponent's backcourt. I say to them that it's slow.. They reply that it's correct speed.. In this case i think it's impossible to return a backhand shot from back court to opponent's backside ..
    I think they play with slow speed bcause it's easy to return smash in doubles with slow speed..
    I wanna ask how should we test the shuttle speed??.Any possible way or any idea what should be the speed of shuttle .?
    We play with local brands of shuttles...International brands are not available here in this small city. Therefore i think question is important

#1 Siddique, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
  2. Junye

Junye Regular Member

Evening Badminton Player.
    It sounds like the shuttle isn't flying smoothly. Nothing to do with speed. Speed of the shuttle just indicates how fast it goes.

Ask your mates to change another brand

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    According to the badminton rules, you can try to do this according to the official rule to test the speed.

http://www.worldbadminton.com/rules/#3

You can proof that the shuttles are at correct speed. I would ask one of the better players to do this because of consistency and verification. I wouldn't trust the result of a speed test by a beginner. According to this rule you will have an evidence for your group of players to convince them that they are using the wrong speed. Should be solve your problem very quickly without much hassle and a lot of discussion. The rule is clear. Slower or faster shuttles are cheating.

I also experienced a lot of players who favor too slow shuttles, because it will reduce the speed of the game. So smashs get less deadly and you don't need any feel or control to hit, because every clear and lift will guarantee that the shuttle isn't too long or out.

KBM424 likes this.
  4. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Then they just flat lift and sit at the net right? All too familiar with it.

ucantseeme likes this.
  5. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Right. Their full game play is built and related to too slow shuttles for their defensive and counter attacking game based on a slower game with downscaling the speed of smashs and drives and the tactic to play anything long to the backhand with a campfire in the mid to front court to wait for short replies. I played last season a league game with so damn slow shuttles, you could lift them with so much power and clear them like Berzerk, they didn't went too long. I won both games, but my arm hurt for 2 days. Initial speed test also told us that the shuttles were too slow for -10°C outside and according to my feel it was max. 15°C inside. Opponents didn't had anything else and my team agreed to play after that journey...

6. Junye

Junye Regular Member

ScreenHunter_357 May. 11 11.27.jpg

Left side refers altitude. Top refers to temperature.

Cheung and ucantseeme like this.
  7. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Not all brands go by those speed numbers though. Aeroplane is based around 50 and Aerosensa is 1-5.

8. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Yonex Speed 3 is a 77. Speed 1 is 75, and Speed 5 is 79.

ucantseeme likes this.
  9. Junye

Junye Regular Member

10. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Yeah I know I was just referring to the chart because the OP might be like "but my shuttles don't have speeds in 7x"

11. Junye

Junye Regular Member

I think in my country everybody using the wrong speed (77). Blame global warming!

12. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I think 77 is quite a "safe" speed to use no matter where you are. Obviously temperature will play a big part in it but in general if you bring speed 77 it's probably going to be playable.

ucantseeme likes this.
  13. Junye

Junye Regular Member

OP needs source for better shuttles.

When you are using brute cow strength to hit the new shuttles... Haha something must be wrong with the shuttles.

If he can't hit from baseline to baseline.
    It's either...he got
    1. Wrong technique
    2. Crap shuttlecocks

Reminds of an incident last night... when an lady at the sports hall commented her shuttle aren't flying much. (she was using all her strength)

Her shuttle happens to be those 'mended' shuttlecocks.

14. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    3. The group he plays bend the feathers

At my club there are some players who bend every second of a Speed 3 Yonex during winter. A very few have them bend in the tube. No speedtest. Even with decent technique and a great AS40, you can need brute force if players manually slow them down so a smooth stroking transform into brute punching.

I wouldn't go by numbers too much. In europe you can play 77/3 most of the year depending on brand. During summer I bend them based on speed test. Saying it twice: The simple speed test is the easiest way to get the correct speed. Even on the big events, there will be picked a player to speedtest the shuttles (AS50), before any normal people are in the hall.

15. Junye

Junye Regular Member

On a Li Ning shuttlecock tube[​IMG]

16. Coolkas

Coolkas Regular Member

Just read this and sorry to bring up an old thread
    With your comments there, do you mean either a slow or fast shuttle will travel the same distance? But just with a faster/slower speed?
    I mean it sounds wrong for me, but is it actually correct?:eek:

17. SaxoProf

SaxoProf Regular Member

Professor
    It is wrong, slower shuttles travel with more resistance, hit with with the same force they will not travel as far.

18. scamp

scamp Regular Member

In most places I've played in reasonably good recreational clubs with a mix of league and casual players I always hear of individuals complaining of tennis elbow or various arm strains. I've pointed out that the synthetic shuttles they use are slow, and consequently require a lot of effort to clear. Tests consistently reveal the shuttles fall 3-4 feet short of the rear tramlines when tested. I am mystified why so many clubs use standard speed shuttles when actually it's proven that the fast speed (equivalent to 78) is needed, especially in cold halls.

19. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Most people dont really care for the technical stuff. I myself only understand shuttle speed in recent year. i always tought its the shuttle quality which is why i tried so many brand backthen finding a good shuttle.
    Afterall no gimmic could be found about shuttlecock. Racket had the most adds & gimmic especially YY while shuttle is none.

20. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I disagree that most people simply don't care.

Many hobby players don't seek to learn how to control the shuttle. If I lift a shuttle at the front court it need to travel around 7m to not go out and fall down at the backcourt. If I need to clear a shuttle at the back of the court the distance is 13.4m.
    The conclusion is that I need to hit the shuttle depending on the area I'm hitting from with a different amount of force.

Especially lower level players are also unable to control the shuttle by hitting it simply higher or with less force to make it be in, they blame the shuttle for being too fast, because they hit it long.
    They use flat lifts and punch clears much more often because they simply didn't learned the technique and strategy to play doubles right. Especially when it comes to learning without a coach many people are just focused on the result were the shuttle land. And people who can't clear properly under pressure get the length by just hitting it flatter and brute force which has a higher risk to go long.
    They also didn't learned to use the whole court and each gap and most of them are obsessed by just hitting to the backhand rear court as only tactic to get a weak reply to score. If this won't work they won't have any clue to built up a game.I came this often across when I was hired as a coach for such groups.

The conclusion for them is to use a slower shuttle to get the impression to be better players by making less errors. They don't hit too long, the defence on smashs by their opponents is easier and they have longer rallies, so they feel they are better players than they simply are.
    Just ask this type of players how they define a good game and they will mostly say "long rallies".