Cool it, Rexy tells showman Kien Keat

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2006 Badminton' started by ants, Mar 27, 2006.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    March 28
    TheStar

MELBOURNE: DOUBLES shuttler Koo Kien Keat is a showman and the crowd loves his antics. But he has been warned not to overdo it.

National coach doubles coach Rexy Mainaky felt that Malaysia could have won a bronze medal in the mixed doubles at the Commonwealth Games here if Kien Keat had played a more straight-forward game.

Kien Keat-Pei Tty were beaten 14-21, 23-21, 6-21 by Hendri Saputra-Li Yujia of Singapore in the bronze medal playoff on Saturday.

“He likes to play to the crowd and display fanciful shots. For instance, in the match against the Singaporeans, he had the opportunity to smash but he chose to drop,” said Rexy.

“It is all right to be fanciful but he should not overdo it. The success of the team should come first.

“He sometimes does that in the men's doubles too. He has to have better control of himself if he wants to play well in the Thomas Cup Finals (April 28-May 7 in Japan). Hopefully, we can work on this.”

Kien Keat, however, was more subdued in the men's doubles final on Sunday. Together with Chan Chong Ming, they defeated teammates Wong Choong Hann-Choong Tan Fook 21-13, 21-14 to win the gold medal.

2. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

lol, this is funny. Anyway, I hope Kien Keat heeds Rexy's advice, Rexy is right in saying that as against top class players, fancy shots will get you nowhere. I remember Shoji Sato also likes fancy shots, therefore he seldom beats top players.

3. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c

My Bro & I were watching the rerun..... it was very frustrating to watch.

This showmanship is unlike Sigits Showmaship, in where Sigit 'showed' that he could perform difficult to pull of / high risk finishing shots / saves.
    KKK on the other hand performed shots that had no reason to be played other than 'I can do this Shot' kind of shots which were often directed right straight into his opponents hands!!!

One of the most Arrogant on court plays & Baffling logic I have seen.

Apparrently his 'Badminton Code' is Win in Style or don't Win at all

Did anyone notice Rexy's expression accross the match??

The Borneon BaddyNut

4. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c

PS. This is not to take any credit away from Saputra & Li Yujia. I think he's awesome & I think Li YuJia is super HOT! Her XD is pretty good ALSO!

The Borneon BaddyNut

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    in the 21 pt system, it's like donating points to your opponents in a platter. just plain dumb......
    I haven't seen KKK play yet but sounds like he tops ong ewe hock for sugar coating their strokes.

#5 cooler, Mar 28, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  6. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    I am generally quite patient but one thing that i hate most is when my partner plays fancy shots, ie: cross court smash, cross court net, backhand smash, drop instead of a smash when given a half court lift, etc.

However, i thought that pros should have known that playing fancy will be detrimental. I did not expect a national player to be told by a national coach not to play fancy shots on national newspaper! :D

7. Birdyman

Birdyman New Member

I think this starts as a bad habit and like all these, it gets out of control. Dropping players usually refocuses them. That's not to say that occasional deception is not a good thing, but with the 21 point system who can afford to risk allowing anyone to build a lead?

8. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

Hopefully he can change his attitude. Yap Kim Hock had advised him so many times alr since thomas cup 2004 but he still plays fancy shots.Hopefully this time Rexy will manage to make KKK listens to him.

9. tutu_h

tutu_h Regular Member

i sometimes do Fancy shots (i find it useful to slower players)too, but when it comes to competitions, i always remind myself not to use it. it is true that fancy shots will give away points easily. i noticed that too when he played against the English. there were many shots that he can just smash and gain a point, but he didn't.