Control type strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Chak San, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Chak San

Chak San New Member

Hi, I am looking for a string that would help me in my singles net play. I use an Astrox 99 4ug5; I have an technical and offensive attacking style of play (sometimes I may play a decent amount of clears and drop shots); I would be considered an intermediary player. I don’t think I need repulsion but having it would be fine. I am also not sure what feeling of strings I would be looking for. My preferred string tension is 26-28 lbs.

How’s Victor’s vbs 68 power and vbs 68
    How about the other brands: Yonex, Li-ning, Ashaway etc.

Thank you in advance.

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    If you use a tension of 26-28lbs, I guess that you play for several years badminton and went through a few restrings. What was your string history (models) and where does each of them lack for you? It might be a more helpful way to find that string which suits you instead of everybody namedrop his/her favorite string. Have tried the glorious and classy BG80 or BG66UM?

3. badmintonpog1

badmintonpog1 Regular Member

Wannabe
    How about Aerobite by Yonex? Are those control strings?

4. steven8991

steven8991 Regular Member

Any Yonex BG66 are fine for control (BG66F and BG66UM are the best two). I would say they are perfect for all around play.
    Aerobite is also a control type string with better control and less repulsion that the two strings mentioned above.
    Another control strings to be considered are BG85 and Lining No.1.

badmintonpog1 likes this.
  5. visor

visor Regular Member

ZM62 Fire is a good repulsive and control string. BG66UM also, but... poor tension retention of max 10 hrs play requires frequent restringing.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I found BG66Force a bit slippery and No.1 has a real smooth coating. With the background that OP refers to net play which involve cutting and spin of the shuttle, I would recommend a string with a rougher coating. And since Aerosonic is a slippy fish and the Aerobite is not a rougher string than BG80/BG80P/NBG99 I disagree here about the control aspects, regardless what stands on the package, based on my hands and fingertips feeling and weaving it.

7. Chak San

Chak San New Member

Actually no, I had just played the sport for just a year; however, I don’t have problems with 28lbs. I can clear with it from baseline to baseline and I also receive training from the school. My first string was bg65ti at 28lbs.(I do not know what is string tension at that time lol), then I lowered my tension to 25/26 with vbs 70 power when I got my Astrox. I’m looking forward to improve my net play with spins to set up the game so yeah....

8. Chak San

Chak San New Member

Many of my team mates use aerobite, bg65 and ti, and bg80 and power. I like both the feel of aerobite(I’m afraid it might snap often) and bg80( I quite like it) but I am still going to check if there’s something else better.

9. Chak San

Chak San New Member

Thanks for the nice suggestions btw.

10. Chak San

Chak San New Member

I find the vbs 70 to be quite slow, and the shuttlecock seems to be sticking to the string for longer periods as compared to the bg65, especially when lifting it.

11. phantan123

phantan123 Regular Member

Honestly you cant go wrong with BG80 there isnt much else that can rival it in terms of control. Some would recommend you other classics like Gosen G-Tone 5, Zymax 62, Gosen R4X110 or VS850 but i have never tried any of them myself.

12. Chak San

Chak San New Member

Thanks for the wonderful recomendations. I would try the Bg80 for my racket