Constant String Breakage?!

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Dennis Li, Feb 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Dennis Li

Dennis Li New Member

Hello fellow stringers, I have a small issue at hand as follows: I strung my friends racket 7 months ago and he broke his strings this week so I restrung. I restrung his racket at 26x28.5 using a 0.68 gauge string on both verticals and horizontals. Surprisingly, he broke on the second day of usage between his 5th and 6th mains from middle. Ok. No biggie. I restring his racket at 26x28.5 again but this time with a 0.7 gauge string on verticals and 0.68 gauge for horizontals. HE BREAKS AT THE SAME SPOT ON A CLEAR FIRST DAY OF USAGE WTF!!!! The string broke on the outside of the frame this time and I don't know if the string is being damaged from scraping the floor (he is not a very careful player) or if he just mishits too much and too hard?? (we play nylon and I know 26 is quite high on nylon) (For reference, I string my own racket 28x31 and it takes me around a month usually to break strings if I am playing hard on both feather and nylon and I hit quite a bit harder than him...) Does anybody have any reasoning they can give for the constant breakages?? Thanks!

2. Michael Boyle

Michael Boyle New Member

You check the grommets? Also are you rough with the awl or pliers around that area?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3. Dennis Li

Dennis Li New Member

No I don't use pliers or awl on verticals... also I'm not sure how the grommets can be sharp as it's a newer 76 hole design so the 5th and 6th verts are on single hole grommets... I'm wondering if the groove for the string could be doing something?

4. Michael Boyle

Michael Boyle New Member

Yeah but that's probably your tie off grommet for your crosses no? Good call though wouldn't hurt to check the frame where the string lies, maybe there is something abrasive there.

5. Dennis Li

Dennis Li New Member

My bad. I meant 5th or 6th excluding middle two so 6th and seventh starting from middle of racket

6. Michael Boyle

Michael Boyle New Member

Oh okay, i guess the only other thing i could think of is that maybe the crosses and mains were crossing on the outside of the frame? Still hard to see that being severe enough to cause a string break on first play... If the frame looks okay then just string it with bg-65 and hope for the best? Lol

7. S.Siulu

S.Siulu New Member

https://racketfix.com
    Could you take a photo of that place grommets?