Complimentry Rackets that Can be easily switched between Singles and Doubles? Or a Complete Racket ?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by NikBaddy, Jul 30, 2021.

?

Do you switch rackets between Singles and Doubles Or play with Same One for better consistency ?

1. Switch

14.8%
  2. Play WIth Same racket

85.2%
  1. NikBaddy

NikBaddy Regular Member

So I have this Unique conundrum in the sense that I am just an intermediate or a high intermediate player , but lot of times since I practice play with friends I play both Singles and Doubles. Also my game is lot about right placements , defense , tactical but also lot of deft touches and even if theres a small change in racket or strings my shots ( especially drops ) go off.

Now problem Is I used to have 2 rackets One 3u for singles and 4u for doubles long back , but them everytime I switched rackets my timing would go off . But If use same racket for both then it either its good for singles or doubles . Currently I am using AVP which I am satisfied with especially in doubles for maneuverability, but double also since I play backcourt more and for singles it lacks that killing power of a Good powerful racket I feel.

So essentially If i switch between 2 rackets , I lose timing and If I only play with one I have to compromise in power vs maneuverability.

How do you manage this conundrum ? Are there any rackets which have similar characterstics / swing but one more powerful than other so you can switch easily ? Or do you prefer using same racket for both singles and doubles ( in that case which one ) ? What are your current racket / rackets for people who play both singles and doubles ?

2. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

If you can switch between rackets without problem, sure, why not.

I have the luxury that the sessions I play are either exclusively singles or exclusively doubles, so I don't have to switch in the moment. Then again, they are similar enough that I don't have any problem switching between them. On some days I feel like playing with one or the other regardless of whether I play doubles or singles.

If you need to choose one, I would say go with the doubles racket. I feel singles depends less on the little extra power you get from a heavier racket than doubles depends on being able to comfortable defend due to a lighter racket. However, it is a very individual decision. What racket do you feel more comfortable playing? Which racket do you have less trouble adjusting to when you switch between singles and doubles?

For the past few weeks I've been playing exclusively with my 'doubles' racket, even when playing singles. Although that could be because I'm starting to like the string setup more and more.

Singles racket: Apacs lethal 10, bg80, 26/26 lbs
    Doubles racket: Apacs fusion speed 722, bg80/li ning no1, 26/29

Finally, different rackets should only make a minimal difference in the quality of your game. If your shot technique is consistent, it should take minimal effort to switch between rackets. How long does it usually take before you get used to the other racket?

3. NikBaddy

NikBaddy Regular Member

It does take me quite bit time to get used to new racket and also new strings especially with my drops , thats normal I feel and yeah I am not necessarily able to switch rackets and maintain same accuracy . And yeah I am not lucky in that sense we play singles and doubles in same sessions mostly !

I actually think maybe it would be better for me to play doubles with my singles racket than vice versa because i do play from back court more in doubles .

But Also thats why I asked the question and wanted to know peoples views , maybe it could be due to AVPs unique swing every time i switch i struggle or are their some rackets that are similar but only slight difference that cann be used for singles and doubles easily interchangebly ? how do other people cope with this ?

As I prefer playing singles more a bit maybe I am thinking of getting a 3u racket and then use it in doubles as well for now !

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Basically personal preference.

I prefer 3U and would use it for singles and doubles even though I am a mid and front court player in doubles.

5. NikBaddy

NikBaddy Regular Member

Which 3u racket If I might ask ?

6. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    I asked the same thing here:

https://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?posts/2806014/

for me I could play both: I have every racket imaginable I would want - arcsaber 11, ZF2, 88s pro, 88d pro, 99, 100zz, 77, NF700.

Originally I tried playing with different rackets for different situations. I am able to switch reasonably quick and adjust but of course it’s not perfect.

as I am to play at a competitive level, I find it beneficial to actually find a good racket - and have it both in 3U/4U.

for me that racket is the 100zz. It’s a good all rounder for me, with 4U being fast and 3u packing punch.

So my 2 cents :)

7. NikBaddy

NikBaddy Regular Member

hmm , thats an interesting strategy actually getting 4u and 3u of same racket. I think I would prefer to first try 3u in both singles and doubles but else yeah this could be a good solution. But exact same frame should help and be minimal adjustment !

Heard good things about 100zz though , now that you mentioned btw how would you compare 100zz 3u vs zz2 . I was considering those two and z striker to try out before deciding !

8. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Comparing the 100zz vs the ZF2 you mean?

I have the ZF2 in 4U and I'm glad I did. It's about same level of difficulty to use as the 99 I have but I feel the 99 is a bit more accessible.

I def prefer the 100zz given it's more forgiving and easier to use. THe ZF2 is def a good racket if you can wield it however. It's an unusual but not rare choice in doubles play so it could be suitable for the 3U/4U stratergy but I personally wouldn't do it

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I used ZF2 3U. I think it's a great racquet for singles.

To increase speed in doubles, I would hold it higher in certain gameplay situations.

I got curious about other racquets for doubles recently and tried a mizuno 4U. Seriously difficult for me to use. I remember having quite a few problems with Astrox 77 4U and I think 4U just doesn't suit me with a really fast swing speed.

I have a Astrox 88D pro 3U just received a month ago. This one is definitely a good one for me. It's just slightly less head heavy than the ZF2 and perhaps a little less stiff. Ordered another one (no stock at distributor at present) and will look for a third one second hand. The defense is slightly more manoeuvrable for me without affecting the swing speed.

10. NikBaddy

NikBaddy Regular Member

Hmm I always hear how zf2 is difficult to wield but wasnt sure what it means , is that because of how stiff it is ? Thing is in doubles also I do backcourt more so I was feeling 3u might suit me.

My current racket is AVP which is also 87g ( although it says 4u on the description ) but due to its aoerodynamic frame its fast but lacks oomph in smash which was why i was considering something else . I dont find it heavy at all though.

I did went to shop today though , he said z striker and z force 2 will arrive next week so hopefully I can hold both in hand and try dry swings to get some feel . He did have voltric .7 Dg ( 89g ) though which he showed me in 3u , it actually had a really solid feel in hand too ( also wierdly it allows max 35 lbs tension which isnt normal for a yonex racket) , but havent heard much about it . Anyone has any idea about it ?

#10 NikBaddy, Aug 10, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  11. NikBaddy

NikBaddy Regular Member

How does zf2 play different from 88d pro ? Not necessarily in specs but playing wise how are they different ? I would assume main point would be zf2 has more power but 88d better defensively ? Any other difference ? Also if you had to choose to keep one of the two only which one would it be ?

12. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    It’s combination of a lot of head weight, small head so it makes hitting sweet spot harder, and stiff shaft

It’s def good if you can use it but need some physical and technical finesse to use it to its potential

13. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    I would say 88d pro is easier to use in terms of all aspects - power generation, hitting sweet spot, also easier on arm. But of course ZF2 has higher ceiling

Cheung likes this.
  14. NikBaddy

NikBaddy Regular Member

So just went through this thread , very interesting

This qoute by @Ballschubser is kind of my thinking too a bit , I am a huge proponent of such theory and having played tt , tennis before every switch of racket would take me months to get things at perfection where everything works without having to think , and thats true for pros too in every sport it takes even them time to adjust to new racket. Hence trying to research properly before buying and wanting to use same racket in both singles and doubles !

Also 77 lcw is pretty cheap here too ( at 80$ ) compared to other models too so maybe i can add that to list too . regardless waiting for next week now to try z strike and zf2 in my hands before deciding and hopefully he can arrange 88d and 100z too ( he wasnt sure he would be able to ) .

#14 NikBaddy, Aug 10, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I am not sure either what it means by difficult to wield. However, I come from the days of 2U racquets with regular size frames so my transition to ZF2 wasn’t really any issue.

Getting a 3U head heavy racquet for backcourt play is looking at the problem in isolation. You really need to consider it in the context of your overall game. Would you lose more points in midcourt, defensive and forecourt plays that negate the advantage of the rear court?

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Slightly better defence and slightly less power. The guys I play with have good defence and I need to use the smash more tactically rather than go for power.

Didn’t I already write that I am waiting for more 88D pro 3U to become available?:)

I don’t play singles anymore but the 88D pro 3U would be fine for singles.

The best thing to do is try them out. For example, I tried the ZF2 4U and I don’t feel comfortable using it.

17. NikBaddy

NikBaddy Regular Member

Very good point. But thats the conundrum since i prefer singles , should i go with a z force or something, but maybe a more balanced approach wud be better in which case arc11 and duora 10 should be fine for both singles and doubles ?
    Yup you did , sadly 88d pro is only availble in 4u here .

And yes I would like to try em out but i dont know too many who play with them , so only option is dry swing at a store ( which isnt the best way to decide but my only option ) which is what ill do at weekend and was trying to atleast have few models in mind that ill like to try in 3u .

Think ill decide between arc11 , duora 10 , z strike , zf2 and 88d pro ( if i can find 3u ) depending on what the shop has as he said he will restock around 15th and let me know. Meanwhile ill also try to search used marketplace . Any other racket that should be considered ?

18. visor

visor Regular Member

What about 88D Pro 3U for singles and 4U for doubles. Then there's less need for adaptation.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

precrime3 likes this.
  19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

He prefers singles so I would say just stick with 88D pro 3U and have three of them. That would be even less adaptation

88D pro 3U may need a special order similar to my situation.

The shop had 88D pro 4U on the shelves at hkd1200. Asked if they had it in 3U. They said yes….. from Japan. The price was hkd1800. I declined to buy

20. khoai

khoai Regular Member

Have you checked Mr Keen? 3U is listed as available:

https://www.mksg.biz/product-page/yonex-astrox-88-d-pro-badminton-racket

Edit: nvm, I thought you were still looking for one.

#20 khoai, Aug 11, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2021