Commentators

Discussion in 'World Championships 2006' started by Eurasian =--(O), Sep 20, 2006.

1. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

Is it just me or are these commentators lacking? They don't seem to know badminton at all. Supersports should get a badminton player to come in and familiarize these guys with badminton.

Also does anyone know how much Astro is paying for the rights to telecast?

2. Wildstone

Wildstone Regular Member

No it's not just you. The commentators know nothing about the games. Sometimes I just wish they shut the hell up. I rather enjoy a quiet game than have to listen all the crab that they spell out. The hitting and smashing sounds as well as the cheering from the spectators is good enough for me.

3. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

I love during the Ng Wei vs Taufik match. The commentator pronouces Ng with no vowel sound just ng. Also I thought it was hilarious when later in the second set the commentator said 'Ng can't lift those there, Taufik will eat those clears... its meat in Taufik's belly.' or something along those lines. I thought it was hilarious.

4. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

Someone replace the commentator...

i just watched taufik Vs NG, and the commentator was just the most brutal, uneducated living thing i've ever witnessed.

1.) He won't stop talking, even when the rally is played, for every shot he says something incredibly stupid like "what a smash look at that what do u have to train to do that i'ts incomprehensible etc etc"

2.) In the taufik Vs NG game, near the end, he said something like "its ironic that the game ended with taufik's netplay, since netplay is probably one of the weakest parts of Taufik's game etc." If he had the slightest clue of taufik's skills, or if he was even watching that game with his brain functioning properly, he would know that he's one of the best net players in teh game.

3.) Also, in the middle of teh game he said that "taufik has no consinstency. It's the mental problems etc" it's called Mentality problems! not mental, taufik is not MENTAL!

Like i said, someone PLZ (somehow) get rid of that man!!!

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Who is the commentator??..

..hmm, i thought i read somewhere that Kevin Han, a former U.S. Men's Doubles player & Howard Bach's former partner, was supposed to be hired and do some TV commentating for IBF??..I haven't seen the video yet, will watch it shortly, but hope it's not him..:rolleyes: :confused: :p

6. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    the male commentator knows nothing about the game...well...however the female commentator is charmaine reid...she knows alot...the male...erm...nah!!!
    i would prefer the woman jilian sumthin to be a commentator....

7. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

U can lower the volume if it hurts you listening to him. Yes, he did go on a bit even when the game is in play.

8. kobe77sg

kobe77sg Regular Member

3.) Also, in the middle of teh game he said that "taufik has no consinstency. It's the mental problems etc" it's called Mentality problems! not mental, taufik is not MENTAL!

I thinck the commentator got mental problem

9. ccskaki

ccskaki Regular Member

We actually need to hear the game play sound to enjoy the game (shuttle hit, players' sound, audiences, etc). Commentators not named Zhao Jian Hua svck!

10. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Picky aren't you !:mad:

11. ccskaki

ccskaki Regular Member

It's not called picky. It's reasonable expectation in life.

You turn on the TV to watch live telecast, do you expect yourself to turn off the volume? No! Both Video AND Audio make up the TV entertainment. That's why TVs come with speakers.

But bad commentating ruins it.

12. milolo

milolo Regular Member

i do agree this commentator did talk too much, almost play by play, stoke by storke. i miss the previous lady commentator who commented on the recent few opens (korea, macau etc).

13. kaylee

kaylee Regular Member

Part-time student/Full time dreamer
    IMHO, the previous lady commentator wasn't that good either. IBF should try to get commentators who have a passion for badminton (so that they can give good comments instead of "look-what-a-great-smash-that-was!" type of comments) instead of just picking one up from the media's trashcans.

14. ccskaki

ccskaki Regular Member

Actually, Zhao JianHua is the best commentator I've listened to. But he speaks Mandarin, so you can only catch him mostly on CCTV. Even then, CCTV don't hire him for every matches. Maybe he's busy or maybe his price is too high.

I believe the lady you all mentioned here is Gillian Clark. She is also a good commentator. But her comments are more suited for general audience, while Zhao JianHua is suitable for more advanced badminton audience because he always has more indepth insights to be shared with the audience; sometimes very technical (I like).

15. indra

indra Regular Member

The best commentator in Indonesia is Indra Gunawan (former coach (ina and Malaysia)...He is sometimes emotially involved (partial to a certain extent...anyhow...I like him)...

His comments on LD, LCW and TH:

LD's speed is the best.
    LCW is smart and fast to learn
    TH is the most complete player

16. ccskaki

ccskaki Regular Member

I've not heard Indra comment but I'd believe your point of view, because Indra Gunawan definitely knows what he's talking about.

Amature commentators svck! Big Time!
    Bring us the pros!

On a side note, I kinda understand the dilemma faced by TV broadcasting companies. I've heard some real pros (ex-top players) being really dull commentators. You can't even make out what they're trying to say. Even though they have the knowledge, but they lack communication skill and they don't know how to actually make the show interesting for the average audience. Commentators like Zhao JianHua and Indra (knowledgable and also entertaining) are rare.

17. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    who ever watchd the thomas cup 2004, it was really messy, the crowd need people with horns that mean "shutup" when blown, and there are sponsor ads all over

18. peace

peace Regular Member

I agree with you, especially with your point number 2, it's a very stupid comment saying that netplay is the weakness of TH...haha...maybe he should get a lesson from TH on how to play badminton.....the commentator is really annoying...I prefer the broadcast without any comments....

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It sounds like Kevin Han is one of them. The other I'm not too sure of. Definitely heard the voice before though but maybe not in badminton.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It sounds like Kevin just flew in. If it's that other guy doing the commentating for the previous day's matches. I do sympathise with the viewers:)