Coaching Rate

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by Baddyfanatic, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Baddyfanatic

Baddyfanatic Regular Member

Student
    Hi there,

What is the rate per hour of a personal coach nowadays? I've been approached to private coach for 20$/hour. He clamis he used to play national baminton in China. Is this rate reasonable? How much are you paying for your private coach? And what are somethings to notice to tell weather a coach is good or bad based on the way he teaches?

Any feedback is greately appreciated, Thanks you.:)

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's difficult for players to judge a coach's quality. Look for someone with a nationally accredited coaching qualification; don't be shy of asking to see evidence. Remember that playing and coaching are very different skills, so a top player can be a useless coach. More commonly, however, top players become excellent coaches.

How much it costs will vary dramatically, depending on local supply and demand. I charge £25 an hour, so $20 sounds good value to me. ;) Find out what alternatives you have, and feel free to try out multiple coaches.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    for 20 bucks, give it a try.
    u should see KDM's rate LOL

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Kdm's rate is reasonable.

5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

what's KDM's rate?
    seems cooler thinks it's astronomical and ants thinks it's affordable.

6. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    lolz what can i say, but awesome exchange rate *wink wink* XD

7. Baddyfanatic

Student
    Thank you for replying my thread.

Thank you for replying my thread guys. I really appreciate all your feebacks because I am getting serious with badminton and really want to feel what it is like to win (or lose =D) in tourneys.

Gollum, I think you're right, I should ask for evidence next time i see him. When he first told me he used to play in the China national team...He is 49 now. I am considering trying out a few lessons and then decide if this is something i really need inorder to improve on my badminton skills or is there a more efficient alternative out there...

And so far I've also found this alternative....

http://www.badminton-information.com/badminton-drills-ebook.html

And it clearly saids "Don’t Hire a Professional Badminton Coach Until You Read This!"

My gut feeling tells me I need both the book and coach, beacause I feel that the actual training can't be experienced by just reading a book. But on the other hand, the book may be able to give me a much more descriptive way in how to execute every techniques compared to a coach (because like Gullum said a top player can be useless coach).

What do you guys think? If you've gone through this stage like I am going through right now, please share your experience, insights, or results. Any feedback is greately appreciated. Once again, Thanks you.:)

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Yes, it can be reasonable. I was watching him coaching 2 people while i was waiting for court rotation. The rate is 0:p The backhand clear part was just... excellent (in Mr. Burn's tone):p

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The Butch Oreta/Vip M. book is a good one (definitely worth buying), but there's no way it can replace personal coaching. There are also a few errors or misleading instructions (not many -- the bulk of the teaching is good, and there's a great deal of advanced stuff that most books leave out).

You've only $20 to lose, so go ahead and try this coach. He could be excellent. :)

10. madbad

madbad Regular Member

What's his name? I'm sure you could google him and/or use the BC search engine to find out more about him. If he is a qualified coach, $20 is (really) cheap. Good luck and let us know how it went.

11. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Sounds like Frank Chen, I'm speculating.

-dave

12. madbad

madbad Regular Member

God, I hope not :rolleyes::rolleyes:

13. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Oh dear, oh no . . . Any update?

14. Baddyfanatic

Student
    He told me to call him Su. I just call him Mr.Su I guess...how we met was we were just casually rallying and then he complemented on my strokes, and we talked a bit about bmton and our backgrounds....And then he said he is willing to coach me for 20$/hr...after lesson he is willing to rally/play wif me and correct my mistakes if any for the rest of the time (2+ hours) for free. I told him I am getting really serious in badminton and want to increase my skills. He is now 49 and is retired...he claims he used to play in China National Badminton team. I have yet to find out. I will call him tomorrow and have a lesson next tuesday, I will let you guys know how he is then!:)