Coach Li Mao to Return to Korea

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by event, Jan 28, 2007.

1. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    It's for sure that Li Mao got very little paid from Malaysia. Not even a small portion comparing to Rexy, but much less money even than an illegal immigrant. That's the reason Li Mao's leaving. He complained that already. BAM used to pay Frost, Park pretty good money, and now Rexy got a close to that salary. Rexy's plus Li Mao's together, are comparable what Frost got a decade ago. While Rexy's is close to Frost's, and Li Mao's is negligible. It's like this:

Frost > Park > Rexy > > > Li Mao

Chinese from mainland China are just cheap labors. :) and they have to work hard also.

Korea must have realized that Li Mao's importance to their singles. When Li Mao was there, Korea did pretty good in singles, but now, their singles both men and women (Li Mao coached both before) are out of competitions now.

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Currently BAM have no plans of hiring foreign coaches as there is not suitable candidate at the moment.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    pay: Frost > Park > Rexy > > > Li Mao

result: Frost < Park < Rexy < < < Li Mao

LOL, how ironic

4. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced

The same formula applied to many other areas also.

pay: CEO >>>>> engineers
    result: CEO <<<<<< engineers

Honestly, even 5000 US Dollars/month is not that much for one of the best coaches in the world. I heard some of the badminton coaches in California made more than that.

#24 Qidong, Feb 1, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  5. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

Yap, you are right.Li Mao's salary is even lower than Misbun's, but Misbun just has one player under him.I don't understand why he gets such a low salary, as he is hired as Foreign High Standard Coach (Can't remember the exact name of the position). Last time Yang Yang, Cheng Chang Jie and Han Jian got even higher salary i think.

6. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Bad news for BAM, there is only one direction that its heading, downhill !

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I wouldn't say that. Most would agree that LCW is on par with the top players and it will be entirely up to him to motivate himself to play better. No matter how much a coach can do, ultimately it is up to the player himself whether he wants to be the champ

Your statement is so general that it seems to include the entire Malaysian team. We know that the doubles pairs are doing relatively well.

Anyway we need to wait for further news from BAM.

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    BAM needs to becareful in treating their future coaches. I dont want Rexy to be the next one.

9. Dimduo_81

Dimduo_81 Regular Member

What is this?

I think it boils down to politics..Yeah, BAM should revise their salary structure or give guidelines or something. There use to be one good Indonesian coach in the Malaysian camp, all players liked him a lot, but he left just like that and is now with KL Racquet Club. ( I'm sure you ppl know who that is) I suspect they all leave for the same reason, lack of recognition, appreciation and biasness. Frustrating..isn't it?

10. cheeyf

cheeyf Regular Member

I still wonder y li mao wanna leave when he has done well in bringing lcw up.
    is he not happy in MAS?
    nway ya i agree w u loh
    d most important thing is urself
    u can hav d best coach in d world but x do ur part, it's still no use
    nway hope lcw will do better despite li mao is leaving
    :(

11. xymaerts

xymaerts Regular Member

Chong Wei’s left in the lurch as coach Li Mao packs his bags

I am so sad to read the below news..:(

By RAJES PAUL
    PETALING JAYA: Chinese coach Li Mao has left Malaysia to rejoin South Korea and it has thrown a spanner in the works of Lee Chong Wei's preparation for the World Badminton Championships.
    And the 25-year-old national number one, who has set his sights on winning the championships, which will be held at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil from Aug 13-19, hopes that Li Mao would explain his reasons for leaving abruptly when he returns to Malaysia after the Chinese New Year holidays on Feb 20.
    Li Mao, who left for China after his last assignment with the national team at the Korean Open last week, has yet to officially inform the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) of his decision to leave the national team.
    National chief coach Yap Kim Hock confirmed yesterday that Li Mao signed a contract with the Korean BA during the Korean Open and he was expected to begin work in Seoul in March.
    Prior to joining the BAM in 2005, Li Mao had taken the Korean men's singles players to greater heights.
    His two-year contract in Malaysia expired on Dec 31. But instead of renewing it until the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, the National Sports Council (NSC) sat on it.
    For now, Kim Hock said that women's singles coach Wong Tat Meng would take over the job of handling the men's players.
    [​IMG] Chong Wei (left) hopes Li Mao would explain why he quit the team.
    It is unlikely that the BAM would hire a foreigner immediately and the Sidek brothers – Misbun and Rashid – are seen as the better candidates to take charge of the men's singles department.
    Misbun is currently with the national team and he coaches Mohd Hafiz Hashim while Rashid is the chief coach of the Project 2010-12 squad.
    “We did not expect this. I called him two days ago (in China) and he confirmed that he has joined the Korean BA,” said Kim Hock.
    “He is a professional coach and making decisions like this is normal. We have to accept it.
    “Now, we have to decide on the coaching structure for the men's singles at the next BAM's coaching and training committee meeting. The show goes on for us. Tat Meng has learnt a lot under Li Mao and he will take care of the men's players for now.”
    Chong Wei, who reached the number one spot for the first time – albeit for a short period – under the charge of Li Mao, was disappointed.
    “No, I did not hear this news from Li Mao. He dropped hints during the Korean Open but I thought it was a joke,” said Chong Wei.
    “When he comes back from his break, hopefully, we can have dinner together. I hope he will tell all of us (the men's singles players) about his decision. Was it because of me? The BAM? Or was it the country? We want to hear why he chose to leave.”
    Chong Wei's performances have dropped since his elimination in the quarter-finals of the World Championships in Madrid last September.
    Now ranked at world number five, he hopes that his preparation for the upcoming world meet will not be affected.
    “It takes a while for me to get used to the styles of a new coach. In fact, it took me half a year to get used to Li Mao's coaching methods. There are only six months to go to the world meet,” said Chong Wei.
    “I have to make the best out of the situation. My immediate task is to concentrate on the All-England (in Birmingham from March 6-11).”
    Under the charge of Li Mao, except for the achievements of Chong Wei and Wong Choong Hann, there was nothing to shout about from the others.

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    When Li Mao was hired, he wanted his performance as a coach to be judged on the number of only the really important silverwares, like the Asian Games, the Olympics, and the World Championship, that his charges can bring home. He has won not a single one. Rexy, with hardly 6 months on the job, has done just that-an important silverware in the Asian Games MD.
    I think coaches should be rewarded well only if they achieve their objectives.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Well, I'm surprised to learn of such great disparities in paying the coaches, if what was said is true. The authorities must know that unhappiness over such differences will surface sooner or later. They can't prevent the facts from being disclosed forever as society becomes more transparent.

Li Mao's case is interesting as he first coached in South Korea before going to Malaysia. Surely his Malaysian pay must be better than what he recieved in Korea, otherwise there is no incentive to leave. But, if I recall, he also left for other personal reasons, which means he wasn't really that happy coaching in Korea the last time. This time round, hopefully he will find his terms and conditions more agreeable.

Life is full of surprises and contradictions! Whilst Malaysia's own Tan Kim Her wants to return home to coach, he was denied the opportunity. Li Mao seeminly is still needed in Malaysia, but he chose to leave!

On the question of pay, we can't deny that there is a big gulf between the developed and developing countres. People working in the same positions and performing more or less the same functions are paid differently. Developed countries pay much more than developing countries. The cost of living in the former, on the other hand, is higher in general. A relatively higher pay may be one way to compensate the higher cost in developed countries. This is one reason, apart from the coach's reputation, Frost was paid much more than Li, as one member here claimed.

To Li, his pay packet and other benefits must be more than acceptable, otherwise he wouldn't have left South Korea in the first place. The relative value of his services must be much higher than if he were to coach at home in China. Similarly, Frost, or other of his counterparts, must feel that he is getting something worthy of his services compared to what is available at home. Of course there are other non-financial considerations why they want to coach overseas like a change of enivronment, opportunity to learn a new culture, etc.

But while Li Mao may feel that the US$5,000 pay he is getting from his new assignment is well worth his effort, this may be considered rather low for a coach in a developed country in the West or even for some in the East such as Japan. So most things are relative.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    we can only guess what the real reason(s) are.

but here is a line from the article that i think also contribute to it:

so here is Li Mao, without a contract while the NSC isn't signing one, and then probably getting paid lower than his peers, and then Korea BA comes in and said, "hey, if you come back, we will sign a contract with you right now and pay you better salary." the decision is not hard to make.

MAS: continue uncertainty, low pay, authorities dragging their feet
    KOR: contract right away, higher pay.

IMHO, kudos to Li Mao for making a decisive choice on his career.

15. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    it must have been the politics in the association itself... has been goin on and on for decades...
    BAM must stop tat...

16. yannie

yannie Regular Member

17. orchiid

orchiid Regular Member

and Limao said he will pay attention to lee chongwei and other malaysia players

18. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Ya...I saw the news today.Li Mao said that although he leave mas but he will still try his best with his own ways to guide LCW in the All England but this must depends to the BAM...

19. sopho

sopho Regular Member

Li Mao did bring LCW to a different level, we MAS should thank him.

20. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    I think this is not easy even both Li Mao and LCW want it. Really depends on LCW's new coach. If they have very different style, I bet the new coach doesn't want Li Mao to involve at all. And if LCW wins All England, the new coach may worry that Li Mao takes part of the credit.