ClearTwo Badminton Christmas Invitational - It’s the season to have fun!

Discussion in 'ClearOne Badminton Centre' started by badelbow, Nov 10, 2005.

1. badelbow

badelbow Regular Member

Dec 16 - 17 - 18, 2005 (Friday afternoon, Saturday & Sunday)

Come and discover Richmond newest 12 court facility.

See attached entry form for details

Goodies like: Longsleeve tournament t-shirt, Trophy or cash prizes for winners and lots of daily draw prizes.
    Entry Deadline Nov 30.

See you all there!
    Ho :D Ho:D Ho!!:D

Attached Files:

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i read with envy of all those nice badminton courts coming on stream everywhere except here :crying: :crying: :crying:

3. badelbow

badelbow Regular Member

Then go west and join us to have fun!
    BTW
    I'll be in Cal town the weekend before (Dec 9-11) watching BK#3 at
    The Glencoe Club (too old to play! lol)

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is time to start one then, cooler. :)

5. William86_98

William86_98 Regular Member

Student
    I'm very surprised at the announcement of this date for your tournament. Although I understand that like ourselves, you must have picked this date a long time ago, I had expected that you might have communicated with us (The Charles Best Tournament people), seeing how we already put our forms up already, and had already communicated our dates. It would have been common courtesy. At that point, at least maybe our two clubs could have worked something out. Also, I should point out that we have had our tournament on this weekend for the past 3 years.

Perhaps your club just sees this as a competitive thing, as I'm sure the CB tournament will take a bigger hit due to the more central location of the Clearone tournament. But in the future I would hope that there would be more courtesy about tournament planning dates, considering that we've already published our dates on the site for at least a week before this post came out.

Once again, I'm very disappointed that we had to find out about this clash of date by looking at this post. I find it a very serious problem that one club would knowingly clash with another club's dates.

6. William86_98

Student
    I apologize for my impulsive reaction. Just that this is kinda hitting me all of a sudden. No offence meant in my previous reply.

7. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    I agree, your tournament has been an annual event, and very well attended. We were planning to play in this one too.

Since the C/2 tournament is already a postponement from October, is there any alternate date to reschedule the C/2?

8. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    burnnn!!...ahah j/k... but i agree with william, it will be disappointing how this will turn up, both tourneys probably wouldnt reach its potiential attendence with the clash dates. but it should be also recognize that badelbow isn't the organizer of this tourney and the people at clear2 might not have known about the CB tourney since they might not be bfers. William, have u made an effort to perhaps contact the organizers of this tourney and maybe work something out?

9. William86_98

Student
    Hey Smashingbird, long time no see.

Yes, I was just in contact with the Tournament Chairperson at ClearOne, Michelle Lee, and she told me that Darryl had to make a decision and that they will get back to me later with it. Hopefully things will work out.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it will be much better to have two well attended tournaments in different weeks than two 1/2 attendance one crowd into one weekend!

good luck.

11. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    ahah yeah its been a long time, welcome back to BC!.. looking forward to beating you ahahah, props to u for making an effort to contact c1 n trying to work something out which not only benefits the organizers but also the players who wish to attend both tournies

12. William86_98

Student
    Today, I received an email from Clearone officially confirming that they will not be able to accomodate the Dr. Charles Best tournament. I was told that this is a "business decision" because Clearone had no other choice but to take this weekend, as they have to use this tournament for the grand opening of Cleartwo. So, it seems, the fact that the Dr. Charles Best forms were out first, both here on Badminton Central, and on the LMBA website, doesn't make a difference, as I have been told that they must have this weekend. I can only assume that even if our forms had been out even earlier, this clash would have still happened.

Still, I would like to let everyone know that the Dr. Charles Best Invitational will still happen. We will not be considering cancelling the tournament, as ours was the first one advertised, and we have held these December dates for the past 3 years.

As some of you might know, the Dr. Charles Best Invitational is a fundraising tournament. Like in all other years, we have already ordered prizes, shuttles, and other equipment for our tournament. At this point, it is not possible to cancel those orders. This is the first year that the tournament is in danger of losing money, and lots of it.

For the past 4 years, the Dr. Charles Best Badminton Council has been able to promote the sport of badminton in Coquitlam through our fundraising tournaments. I really feel that we have been able to attract a variety of players from all around Vancouver, and occasionally, we have even been able to invite out of town players to participate at our tournaments. As well, for the past 4 years, we have tried to give players the best tournament experience possible. I am sure that the Dr. Charles Best tournament is a unique one in many people’s minds.

Strictly speaking from the point of view of a member in the badminton community, I feel very sad that this clash of dates has happened. Firstly, it is obvious that both organizing groups will suffer a loss of participants. Secondly, a “business decision” is putting into danger a tournament that has been able to bring so many people together over so many years. Fundraising tournaments are exactly what they sound like; they are used to raise funds. If a tournament loses money, then it wouldn’t be fundraising anymore. In this case, I am sure that the school will no longer support the running of the tournament next year. I’ll be very honest, looking from the math, it appears that the school might lose more this year than what it gained by running last year’s tournament. Thus, it is entirely realistic and probable to say that this might be the last Dr. Charles Best tournament.
    I would like to thank the many of you whom have supported our tournament over the years. It is only with your support that we have been able to run our tournaments for so many years. I urge you to support us again. For the Cleartwo tournament, regardless of the outcome for their tournament, the club will still go on. They are more than able to cover for any money that they might lose from having a lower than expected turnout. And to be honest, I doubt that they will lose money. On the other hand, however, the Dr. Charles Best tournament has really been pushed to the edge of the cliff due to this clash. I feel really sad when I consider that it might never happen again, and only because of a private club’s “business decision.”

Thus, for the sake of the growth of badminton, I sincerely hope that you will choose the Dr. Charles Best Invitational for this December. Cleartwo will still be here next year if they fail, but I can assure you that this is definitely a do or die situation for the Dr. Charles Best tournaments.

Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to read all this, and I look forward to seeing you in Coquitlam from Dec. 16-18.

Thank you very much,

Sincerely,

William Wong

13. badelbow

badelbow Regular Member

Draws are already posted at...................

www.clearonebadminton.com

Friday. will most likely be all Mixed Matches (and may be some singles matches due to the number of entries.) and
    Registrations at 6:30pm. Matches will start around 7:00pm as we have players from Out of town and The Island.

EXACT EVENTS START TIMES FOR ALL THREE DAYS WILL BE POSTED LATER TODAY.

Please Note: (All Players and Parents):eek: :eek: :eek:
    All Players must sign Waiver before playing any tournament matches. All Players under the age of 19 must have their Parents or Guardians to sign the Waiver for them.

A friendly Reminder....."ONLY" proper indoor non marking court shose approved by ClearTwo Badminton Centre Management is allow and no exceptions. Fines and Disqualifications WILL BE ENFORCED AT ALL TIME.

:) :) :) ..
    Its the season to be sharing......fa la la la la ..la la la la.....
    Please bring in "non perishible" food items for Richmond Food Bank to help the needed families over the Holiday Season.....and;) ;) ;)
    qualify for a lucky draw of a badminton racquet sponsored by ClearTwo Badminton Centre.

See you all at C2....

14. badelbow

badelbow Regular Member

Event Start Times

Please see attached pdf file

Attached Files:

15. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Any results???

I'd checked the clearone site but no results were posted.

Curious as little Badrad and SmashingBird plus I'm other BF'ers are in the tourney.

16. badelbow

badelbow Regular Member

little badrad won open womens doubles
    tell me which catagory you wanted to know:
    Its just a fun tourni, result won't be posted.
    from the top of my head:
    the coaches won the open mens doubles
    christ lee won open mens singles
    alice man won open women singles
    open mixed doubles won by Jan and Aki

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    did phyllis chan played WS?

18. badelbow

badelbow Regular Member

no, only open mixed doubles

19. 15Love

15Love Regular Member

software developer, lab tech
    I think Alvin and Alice won the mixed, didn't they?

20. badelbow

badelbow Regular Member

Come to think of it, may be they did!