ClearOne Badminton Centre

Discussion in 'ClearOne Badminton Centre' started by ChipmunkBoy, Jun 2, 2003.

1. SChan

SChan Regular Member

wow nice pics, Absinthe! It looks like an excellent facility.... maybe i should drop by sometime.... :D

2. tofu_boy

tofu_boy Regular Member

Brick layer
    Clearone

coming to Vancouver for a visit in a couple of weeks. Just wondering about this clearone place in Richmond...is it a drop-in? and if so...how much is it?

I appreciate the help...thanks

t

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Got to tell you that the drop in sessions are quite different from the other places. When John Luu and I went last Thursday, most of the drop ins are young kids (<17 yrs) and they all played within their own group. John and I ended playing with a couple of players that I know the entire evening. It was like the four of us had booked a court for the period.

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Drop Ins at ClearOne

From previous experience, I find drop-in sessions at ClearOne are badly organized. Everybody play with their own groups.

5. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Talking with the lady at the front desk, she says that when ClearOne gets full, they go by sign-up on the chalkboard. Otherwise, no sign-up and they let the players roam free :) or group together in their groups.

6. wunderbar

wunderbar Regular Member

I think it depends on the skills. Ones that are more beginners don't want to play with others that are overpowering and then the more advance players wouldn't want to have like a 5 minute game. Thats probably why they tend to group together at drop-ins. I think its a good idea to get like 8 or so people together and then rent the courts like what WWC had done while I was out there. Atleast, you could mix up the games but know you'll get a good match. Its too bad most of the people are < 17, I would personally feel uncomfortable approaching kids that age for a games.

7. tofu_boy

tofu_boy Regular Member

Brick layer
    singles...

are most of the drop-in matches doubles or are single games arranged also?

Not that I mind playing doubles...but I prefer playing singles whenever possible. I do realize that if it's crowded and only a certain number of courts are available doubles gives everyone a chance to play.

thoughts?

8. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    the only time singles could be played in drop ins is if there no one waiting..i haf never seen singles in a dropin where there is someone waiting on the side..althought i haf seen 8 ppl playin on one court before :eek:

9. tofu_boy

tofu_boy Regular Member

Brick layer
    VRC

anyone know what the summer rates are for the VRC?

10. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Richmond, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
  11. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Just to keep the fellow Vancouver BFers informed, I was talking to the ClearOne staff today, and it seems like starting in March, there won't be evening drop-ins anymore other than on Fridays and Saturdays.

-Rick

12. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    I dropped by there on a Thursday evening, and it was just deserted. Just two families playing recreational badminton. Wonder if the "new baddy court" fad has passed, and if ClearOne can still operate profitably for the owners.

I think that starting a court has to involve a core of players dedicated enough to show up twice weekly and actually enjoy doing so. I got that feeling when I dropped-in at VRC and RBC, otherwise said venue might be headed for desertion.

-dave

13. Traum

Traum Regular Member

I think ClearOne should still be profitable, although their primary revenue would probably come from group training, private lessons, and the pro-shop instead of massive amounts of frequent players. They never seem to have a shortage of kids who are taking lessons, and there is a core group of people that train under Darryl.

One of the problems that I noticed is, if you go there twice a week, then the drop-in fees would already amount to

$6 x 2 x 52 = $624

in a year, which is almost your annual VRC membership. But if you join VRC, you can play there 24x7 every single day of the year. Perhaps Darryl might want to consider some form of membership structure as well?

-Rick

14. Joo Bong

Joo Bong Regular Member

$600 something dollars for memberships?? wow... I don't think many of us have that kind of money. I whether stake with ClearOne.

Regarding drop-in for Friday, and Saturday. I heard this is only for Spring. They might switch back in Summer!! Will see what happen?!! :p

#55 Joo Bong, Feb 14, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2004
  15. SchrodingerCat

SchrodingerCat New Member

looking for one
    600 dollars for membership

600 dollars for 24x7 badminton center is not bad at all. The Vancouver Lawn and Tennis club can cost you 10000 dollars just for initiation fee (so I heard).

16. Traum

Traum Regular Member

But VLT is different though. It operates more like a country club for the elites. You don't join VLT because you want to play la. You join because of the social status that comes along with the membership.

-Rick

17. 15Love

15Love Regular Member

software developer, lab tech
    I am not sure of the exact amount but the VRC membership is closer to 900 than 600 bucks!

18. 15Love

15Love Regular Member

software developer, lab tech
    I am not sure of the exact amount but the VRC membership is closer to 900 than 600 bucks!

19. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Well, according to http://www.vrc.bc.ca/member.html , adult membership is $645 + $99 initiation fee + GST. I guess that amounts to about $800...

<sigh> Wish I was still under 19... :D

-Rick