Choose stringing pattern

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by atmosfer, Feb 26, 2021.

1. atmosfer

atmosfer New Member

Hi!

Im new to stringing with my gamma x-st. I would like to know how you decide what stringing patterns to use.
    I found a nice pattern for my yonex astrox 99 and it worked out really well. Now i have a li ning N90 iii and i cant find anything online, how do i decide what pattern to use? Is there like a standard 72 pattern to use that work on most rackets?

kakinami likes this.
  2. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I use the Yonex pattern with the AK modification. From main 9 go to main 11 stop at the top and weave in crosses 10 then cross 9 ( this is a 2 piece string job) then finish main 10 and tie mains off on hole #9. If 24 pounds or lower I will tie my cross on #8 and pull cross 10 and 9 at the same time. If 25 or over then I would clamp on cross 9 far from tail and pull the tail, clamp then tie off. Pull cross 10 and release clamp at cross 9 and then finish. I would use the Gudgeon knot for all my knots except for my starting knot for crosses I would tie an extra half hitch going from inside frame to outside the frame. I found the extra half hitch to lock on to the maim and my knot does not slip into the grommet. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

atmosfer and yenyesoh like this.
  3. atmosfer

atmosfer New Member

Thanks for the reply! Do you think it would be possible to use this yonex pattern on the li ning racket? yonex.png

4. khoai

khoai Regular Member

The Haribito "professional"/around the world should be one of the easiest patterns to do. There's a video made by Kwun here:

A couple of differences I do to make it easier:

- Use an extra flying clamp instead of starting clamp, it will be used for the last "around" mains as well.
    - Stop tensioning the main right before the skipped line (at 8:04 in the video) and do the short sides instead, last right main -> cross -> last left main (with flying clamp). This saves some hard weave/pull of the skipped line.
    - After that go on as in the video.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Use the Yonex pattern you posted. There is absolutely no point to any of these fancy patterns - Haribito, around-the-world, 50/50... they do not affect playability. It's just more to remember (and potentially get wrong).

Keep it simple - a string bed is just mains and crosses, no matter what order they went in.

6. khoai

khoai Regular Member

Mark, I like Yonex pattern too as you said it, very simple to remember. However, there are a lot of shared/covered holes in the pattern as well as 2 more knots which are not beginner friendly. I have no problem with any of the issues but they do slow you down. The around the world pattern has almost none of those, much more enjoyable from an amateur point of view. I can do under 20 mins without rush.

7. atmosfer

atmosfer New Member

Thank you all for your input! More knots are no problem for me and I get a little better every time, I just wanted to make sure the pattern is suitable for the racket so I dont do anything wrong or damage the frame.
    Im gonna try out both yonex pattern and the haribito to see what feels best for me. Thanks guys!

8. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

I agree with Mark A. Just use the Yonex pattern. That's the most simple one. The Haribito ATW in my experience is not easier. More steps to take and you need to use an extra starting (or flying) clamp. It is good to try and learn it though. Maybe you like it more than other patterns.

You can use every pattern on all rackets, kinda. Unless you have a racket that has only 4 shared holes (one in each "corner" of the frame). Then you need to use a one piece pattern, like the Haribito for example. Some rackets have more single pass grommets at 10, 2, 4 and 8 o'clock positions. Older models have only shared grommets at those positions. You just have to look carefully in which hole you need to put the string through.

atmosfer likes this.
  9. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

There is really no need to know the pattern for the specific racket. Choose the style you like, you said no problem with four knots? Great! Just go with it. When you understand the principle of the pattern you can use it on any racket.

If it is Yonex style, than skip from 9th lower grommet (when doing mains) to 12 th and then go back to 10th. On some Forza rackets you have to skip more grommets as they some times have 2 crosses in between. No worries, when doing mains, just make sure you count those, you can always see that they are for crosses as the grommets for crosses are distributed more evenly then for mains...

Same if the racket have modern pattern with smaller individual holes instead of shared ones. No problem - just make sure (when threading the mains) to skip the grommets that are supposed to be for the crosses. The easiest way is just to look at how the grommets exit towards the center of the frame. They will bend horizontally for crosses or vertically for mains. If it's a new racket or you are not sure just find a shared grommet in the upper third of the frame and the crosses will jump from the shared grommet up evenly skipping one hole - that is where you thread the mains...

It is pretty easy when you understand how it goes and will not need to search for a pattern every time. There are some really weird frames there like some Babolat ones or Carlton, but if you inspect them you can detect what is strange and than plan your way from the "strangeness" towards the start of the string and it will be ok...

atmosfer likes this.
  10. khoai

khoai Regular Member

The beauty of the Haribito pattern is mainly in reducing shared hole problem. The order of strings go into shared holes make all the difference. Due to the racket shape, main-then-cross (Yonex pattern) is much harder than cross-then-main (Haribito). Moreover, you don't have to cope with starting cross with no tension as well as less knots as another bonus. I understand that I mainly string rackets at higher tension (27-30 lbs), so shared holes may be a bigger problem for me personally.

I used to do solely Yonex pattern for several years regardless of rackets as many ppl here. Never needed to look for a pattern as others have said, just followed the same concept. But Haribito pattern feels like a breeze to do once an extra flying clamp is added.

11. atmosfer

atmosfer New Member

Thanks, great to know that I can use one pattern for almost all rackets. That was my main concern. Now i just need to practice and i guess it will get easier after a while to identify and adapt my pattern after the racket.

stradrider likes this.
  12. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I would look at the racket, Most rackets now a days the main strings are all spaced evenly, if you see your main strings not looking spaced evenly your pattern is probably wrong. The exception is your pattern with a bunch of shared holes on the top, that pattern is not spaced evenly. Like @Mark A says K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple St*pid)!! =)

atmosfer likes this.
  13. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

If you have problems with your shared holes cut your string at an angle and with flat tip up, angle up. If that doesnt work then cut again and with flat tip down angle down. Avoid sticking your awl into the grommet, you might break your main. If that doesnt work buy some chocolate chip cookies and grab a glass of milk and eat them, then try again. If that doesnt work try to use a string mover, I use an awl, by pushing my string down at an angle and angle the string up. If that doesnt work I pull string up at an angle with my awl and angle down. If that doesnt work buy some Oreo's smash them up and mix them in some vanilla ice cream. You might want to try playing instead of stringing =P
    Stay in skool, don't be a fool, like me =)

atmosfer likes this.
  14. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

One tip I picked up early on was to put the strings in loose first (without weaving the crosses - no need) if you're unsure of the pattern.

But these days there are really only three patterns - five shared holes (old skool and cheapo rackets only), two shared/three single and two shared/four single.

atmosfer likes this.
  15. atmosfer

atmosfer New Member

Im familiar with that frustration. This is some solid advice haha =)

kakinami likes this.