Chong Wei faces Chen Yu threat in Euro tournaments

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2007' started by Dreamzz, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

PETALING JAYA: China’s weakest men singles player Chen Yu is set to be the stumbling block for Malaysian No.1 shuttler Lee Chong Wei's bid to reach the semi-finals in the upcoming back-to-back tournaments in Europe.
    Based on the draw released for the Swiss Open yesterday, the third seed Chong Wei is expected to meet the Chinese in the fourth leg of the Super Series, which will be held in Basel from March 13-18.
    The US$200,000 Swiss Open is the third back-to-back tournament slotted in Europe.
    The first is the ongoing German Open and will be followed by the third leg of the Super Series – the All-England – next week.
    [​IMG] Stumbling block: Lee Chong Wei is expected to face Chen Yu (above) in the All-England and the Swiss Open in March.
    Chong Wei's first meet in Europe is the All-England in Birmingham and he is most likely to meet Chen Yu in the last eight.
    A second meeting with Chen Yu at the Swiss Open is on the cards if Chong Wei clears Ronald Susilo of Singapore in the first round and knocks out a qualifier in the second round.
    If he beats Chen Yu, he is set to meet top seed Lin Dan of China.
    Meanwhile, Malaysia's Mohd Hafiz Hashim should have a smooth run to the Swiss Open quarter-finals, where he is expected to take on second seed Chen Jin of China.
    In the absence of Indonesia’s two top men doubles pair Alven Yulianto-Luluk Hariyanto and Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan following a ban on Alven, Luluk and Markis (see accompanying story below), the fight for the title will be among the top pairs from Malaysia, Denmark, South Korea and China in the Swiss Open.
    Malaysia’s Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong have been seeded seven and they will likely play top seed and world champions Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng of China in the last eight.
    Two Malaysian pairs - Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah and Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock are expected to face each other in the second round.
    Top women singles shuttler Wong Mew Choo is not expected to go beyond the first round given the tough opposition in Switzerland. She is down to play second seed Wang Chen of China in the first round.

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i think that first statement about CY being the 'weakest' MS player is kinda harsh, no?
    :D

3. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Yeah haha I've only read that much so far. Not a very nice (or true) thing to say :p!

4. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Chen Yu is NOT the weak at all. Those going to German Open and Austrian International are much weaker. Lu Yi, Qiu Yanbo etc etc etc

5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

my best of luck to LCW...he'll need it...

Chen Yu is a great player if you ask me, very allrounded...and with his current dark-horse status..who knows?

DISCLAIMER: I really don't know who to cheer for, I just pray for a good downlaodable match...if anything, I hope Peter Gade can pull of another AE win...

6. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

True true lol, as do I. Although I do hope at least one of my favourite players reaches the final!

Judging by recent form I'd say it would be a very close match between them. I guess I'd very slightly lean toward LCW. He's got to win sometime (poor reasoning I know)! Then again if Chen Yu is on great form as he has been quite often lately, he will probably be very tough to beat. So for now I'm saying LCW 55:45 CY. Although after seeing the first of the two meetings I may reconsider...

#6 phaarix, Feb 28, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree.

If CY is the "weakest", then, only a few (no mroe than 10) players in the word can even claim to be "weak". :p

8. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yup, if he's the weakest, then we've all been playing a totally sport ...

9. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner

LCW 55:45 CY????:confused::eek: After CY beat LCW two times in a row in less than one year time + the bad form shown by LCW lately(beside the little national tournament), and that's your prediction???:rolleyes: Where is the logic to that, or just pure favoritism?:confused:

10. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

nope, it's called patriotism ... :cool:

11. Dimplex

Dimplex Regular Member

student
    :) ahaha nothing wrong with patriotism...malaysia bolehh

12. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    apparently, CHN's singles players.. i mean all of them are LCW's stumbling block.... not only Chen Yu

13. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Irrespectively of what anyone says, the records have shown LCW being the better player. Chen Yu has never been World No.1 but LCW had made it before.

LCW is ready to resume his NO.1 role and it starts in the German Open as a 1st step. Then with his determination this yesr, the AE. Grappled with that.

14. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

he's the weakest because he's the lowest ranked chinese "regular" MS player we've been seeing in international tournaments in the last little while.
    we don't see the backups and ex-juniors often and such.

but thats how strong their depth is. chen yu's weak.
    unfortunately he's still able to dish out more than most people can handle. :D

15. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Lol buddy you don't need to take it too seriously. I tried to make that obvious in my post... I even said myself that my prediction wasn't really based on a lot! It's just a prediction. I know LCW has been off form lately, but I'm just making a wild guess. Perhaps this will be the tournament that LCW regains form. And then again he may play absolutely terribly. It's juuust a wild guess, I never said it was logical or a critical analysis on current form etc. etc. :). Or is that illegal in this forum?...

Actually LCW hasn't been doing that bad recently. His match against CJ was very close and there is nothing wrong with that.

I am not Malaysian I'm NZer :D.

#15 phaarix, Feb 28, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  16. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    If China's senior men's singles team comprise of the 5 (Lin, Bao, Chen, Chen and Chen), then yes, I would consider Chen Yu to be the weakest among them.

But calling him China's weakest men's singles player is techically wrong. There are a lot of players other than just the five.

17. ronnie14

ronnie14 Regular Member

huhuhu.. d best of luck goes to lee chong wei !

18. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

whoops, haha, i forgot to check.
    i just naturally assumed that you were malaysian, hahaha, oh well .... :eek:

19. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

No worries :D. Maybe I did sound a bit like that :p.

20. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Both hv not been consistent lately, it will be a 50:50 match depending on form. But of course i would like to see a win from LCW :)