Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It's more realistic or fairer to compare HBJ with Akane, similar build but AY is so much fitter and her stamina is remarkable. As RedShuttle correctly pointed out, Akane has caught up with HBJ on skills but HBJ hasn't caught up with Akane on fitness.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    In the end, China has a young team, many playing not for themselves but for their country, lack of experience in the environment and crucially, the weight of expectation.

It is easy to criticise each individual player as the sole component. IMO, well, it is a lot contributing factors and rather shortedsighted just to criticise the individual.

The next Sudirman Cup with these players will be very interesting. They will be out to redeem themselves.

skelro314 likes this.
  3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Fair enough.

4. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

People tend to criticize players for their game to improve in the near future. When you said that India don't have any chance at all in Sudirman cup to enter quarters, india simply demolished Indonesia to enter Quarters and proved everybody wrong.

Postive criticism is necessary for everybody . But apart from that, if you look into the game of He bingjiao, her's is based on wrist work than physical. Starting from the beginning, she has been relying on the wrist. If somebody make her move all along and retrieve everything thrown , she is finished. She just can't deal with it. Her footwork and technique everything will vanish in no time. She is totally not fit for long game if it goes beyond your limit. Hence i said, she can't go for titles. She can beat one or two occasionally in a tournament but could not go all the way for title . When she came, so many people does not know how to handle her game. But everybody figured that out. For the past 2 years, we have been talking about chinese WS players, any improvement happened !

Chen Yufei , on the other hand, is physically built for this. She can go , on and on for long time. Her endurance is way better than He bingjiao.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

What has that got to do with this thread :D

Edit: if you can find the particular post, where I wrote that, i will be happy to acknowledge that i predicted wrong

#1185 Cheung, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  6. Baddyforall

I just reminded one of your such judgements about players. ;). It may go terribly wrong. That's why i mentioned it here. And i didn't deviate in the follow up in the post. :)

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I take your point so my next question would be why did the team selectors pick her...? Are these not characteristics that can be picked up in training matches?

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I would be grateful if you can reference my terribly wrong judgement. :)

9. Baddyforall

That's what i am saying , they made a terrible mistake. So many top players are not used to left handed players. For eg. Sindhu. She seldom plays left handed players @ home while training with players. But Sung ji hyun , though her look deceive you for her physicality, you should not take her lightly. She will grind you down even if she can't move one step ahead. Either Sun Yu or Chen Yufei would have been a good choice. But still, they would have thought Chen Yufei lacks experience and hence they avoided her.

10. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

HBJ is only 20 and already a solid Top 10 player. Yet, she gets trashed. No one outside of the Chinese team would get this kind of unfair treatment.

11. Baddyforall

Indian MS are too incosistent (you have been saying this for ages :(): This is what you said. But KSrikanth was one of the factor for india entering quarters. If KS would have lost, Indonesia would have entered quarters ( more number of matches won) . India was only 1 point ahead of indonesia. KS was the criteria.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Give me the link where I wrote explicitly India had no chance to enter quarter finals :) If not, then acknowledge I didn't write it and retract your statement. ;)

13. Baddyforall

Ha ha. You didn't write it delibrately , but said it in different context (meaning wise).

No need to deliberately mention that. But you have to admit, india played really well that Denmark escaped . Except for MD, in the other two category XD and WD , Denmark did not have a good victory (it would have gone either way)). You said that no chance at all. But the scores did not suggest that way. Both XD and WD gone to full distance. Not an easy victory for Denmark. When i mentioned 75-25% for Denmark, you said that is too optimistic for india. That's why i mentioned . In WD, Denmark won it with 23-21 in the deciding game, which i say, it would have gone either way. Similarly, XD, 21-17 in the deciding game. India fielded a scratch pair who does not have even a ranking .

Deliberately, you did not mention it. Now ok !:) Sorry, if you misunderstood the meaning which i wanted to express.
    ed

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Thank you. You wrote pretty clearly about me being 'terribly wrong' without being able to find a reference. That is a very definitive statement by you and definitely no misunderstanding by myself.

Again, reference please or I didn't write this. ;) If there is no reference, I expect another retraction. It is nothing personal - just need to be accurate so that other people don't quote your misquotes :)

And sorry to other forum members for this distraction.

15. Baddyforall

http://badmintoncentral.com/forums/...-‘going-gold’-sudirman-cup-2017.169569/page-9

post#177

"75-25 for doubles to denmark vs india? That's very optimistic. I cannot see Denmark losing any of the three doubles matches to India. Those Danish pairs are going to be too experienced for the Indian pairs."

But indian doubles almost defeated Denmark.:)

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

17. lippro

lippro Regular Member

Hey Cheung, I know you're entitled to demand proof of claims and everything, and nothing's wrong with that as a matter of principle. I just think it's cumbersome and weird to go about discussions on the forum in this manner. If you think another member has quoted you on something you didn't say, then just say "I don't remember saying that", or "that was not what I meant", or "you interpreted my statement wrongly", anything to that effect; if the other party keeps insisting on ascribing the statement to you, only then, I feel, will reference be needed to settle the dispute. As it is right now, conversation between you and baddyforall feels like those youtube comment wars, where people just needlessly resort to "proof/pics or it didn't happen" at every turn. You know, people often misunderstands other people/remember wrongly what others said, and that's not out of malice or an intent to put words in another person's mouth. I just think it's best to be a little charitable here and not take the algorithmic approach of "reference? if yes-provide/if no-retract statement"--it's just a forum discussion after all. Cheers.

Cheung, skelro314 and Baddyforall like this.
  18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Whilst I agree with the whole context of your post, my own feeling is a) it was off topic, b) wrong, c) when asked directly, the poster would write off topic answer (distraction technique :) ) d) alleged twice I wrote something I didn't.

Referencing is a trait developed from my previous work in academia which, on the whole, has more benefits than disadvantages when asked for. If given, it gives early resolution and nips any misunderstandings in the bud. Of course, I don't expect every statement to be referenced (I only ask for news articles to prevent internet rumours and those which I need my own clarification if I think are wildly off the mark - this only happens very occasionally)

#1198 Cheung, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  19. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    There are two teenagers, Han Chengkai and Due Yue that are quite talented in doubles. I think HC was WJC in 2016, and DY was runner up. They are playing in the Mens and Womens doubles as well as the mixed doubles. I think the MD have performed well in other tournaments.
    Its unfortunate that only two MS and one Ws took part in the SCG Thailand Open. Knowing how weak China is in these two junior categories, it would have been better if at least four or five juniors came for the experience.
    Lets hope the Chinese junior coach will take a team of MS and WS to tour the lower ranked tournaments. It will be wonderful to see them.

20. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    Congratulations to Du Yue and He Jiting on winning the SCG Thailand Open. I hope they will be given more opportunities to play in tournaments around the world to gain experience and earn more ranking points.
    They have earned it.

nilesh123 likes this.