Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. viver

viver Regular Member

That special coach who is in retirement, is actually quite busy with his business - that is, if we are referring to the same coach. ;)

2. hellohello

hellohello Regular Member

Sorry but to ask who is that special coach in retirement?

3. hellohello

hellohello Regular Member

Okay as a person who has enjoyed so much from China badminton, I believe that China could have produced much better results in badminton if the management and everything is done in the right manner.

After all China is still the number 1 power house in badminton. But if CBA can change and get a new head coach of course it is good because new head brings about fresh things and new changes which will be good for China badminton too.

Definitely I would also like to see good things and new changes in China badminton setup.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'd expect to see at least a lull period in CHN badminton until next year's WC though their younger cohort seems to be doing fine but being relatively young, they still lack the necessary experience.

In MS, there's only Chen Long for the time being. IN WS, there's a yawning gap, what with LXR injured, WYH retiring ,and WSX winding down; Sun Yu, He Bingjiao, Chen Yufei are only just beginning to find their footholds. In WD, new combinations are continually being formed as their established pairs broke up or retired. In XD, more or less a similar situation as in WD after the breaking up of ZN/ZYL and the expected retirement of XC/MJ. In MD, as usual still relatively weak, the ZN/FHF pairing will be no more as FHF is expected to announce his retirement anytime now; CB/HW is the only established pair left while the rest are struggling to make their mark.

The junior teammates really have to step up to the plate as quickly as possible, not only for WC'17 but also AG'18. I believe if Li Yongbo refuses to step down or be forced out, his saving grace for the next one, two years will come mainly from the CHN junior echelon.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    He got tempted to leave Indonesia for China. Maybe he can leave his business?

My biggest surprise is the ladies doubles. China has always been really strong in this area and the present ladies are as strong as previously. But China really never settled their combinations and paid the price.

6. Pirayeba67

Pirayeba67 Regular Member

Head hunter
    Agree 100 percent with you take on the Chinese WD.

#606 Pirayeba67, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  7. viver

viver Regular Member

It was a personal decision to return to China. At that time he had other lucrative offers, but declined. Now, as far as I understand, he is committed to his business.

Is not easy to understand China's methods to deal with internal issues. Sometimes coaches and players may not be appointed/selected due to a variety of reasons, not necessarily related to on-the-court performance. You, being much closer there, you certainly must have heard a lot more than me here in the Northern fridge.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

9. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2016-09/12/c_135682148.htm
    The above article makes interesting reading especially for those who love Chinese sports particularly badminton. Over the last 30 years or so China has become the second largest economy in the world and young people have many career paths to choose from much to the detriment of sports. As many as 600 mil to 700 mil Chinese people have been lifted from poverty to the middle class level. The middle class parents can easily provide their only child with a college education to get the qualifications demanded by prospective employers. Why would they want their children to slog their bu** off undergoing the tough and sometimes dangerous training demands of their chosen sports only to find that they become quite unemployable after they have retired. A better social safety net must be in place for the athletes.

#609 tbgoh288, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    kwun, Cheung and Justin L like this.
  10. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I think a more appropriate development would be special schools designed for youth with sport talents, splitting their time between studies and sports, finishing their cursus with diplomas as valid as in the regular school, plus easier entry in the universities (special grants).

kwun and tbgoh288 like this.
  11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

As in the said article: Wang Yang, for his part, suggests the government pilot sports veterans' vocational training in some companies.

There's also Sports Universities like the Beijing Sports Uni that Wang Shixian has enrolled in but it's mainly for those who have the requisite academic qualification which, I supposed, is not the case for the majority of professional athletes.

So, yes, it's a good idea to have special sports school allowing the athletes to juggle between studies and sport beginning at the lower,say elementary, level and progressing to the intermediate, then certificate/diploma and finally University Masters program for those more inclined. However, for those not academically inclined, it's more practical and helpful for companies to provide vocational training leading to job offers in future upon the athlete's retirement.

For such a scheme to work, the state and the private sector, including the public sector, can collaborate to make it viable, with the state giving encouragement like offering subsidies or tax grants or other incentives to participating companies. At the same time, athletes who take up full time studies post-retirement should be offered study grants by the state and/or the companies.

The coaching path while attractive for many retired athletes may not be suitable for some due to personal reasons or lack of demand in their specialty, and over time such job opportunities faces limited availability as it's usually a long-term career for many; simply put, there are many more athletes retiring than there are coaching positions year after year.

Needless to say, athletes who are enterprising and lucky enough to start a successful business whether related or not to their field of excellence in sport is not something more than a handful can or will go into, not to mention the capital outlay required.

#611 Justin L, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    tbgoh288 likes this.
  12. renbo

renbo Regular Member

All those professional outcomes are commendable, but for parents to encourage youth at young age to go into sports I think they need something stable and general, as uncertain prospects would turn off parents. I believe to Chinese parents only studies would fit the bill!
    In some cases, like in Denmark, it is easy for people to go back to study as a grown up, but in China (as well as in other places, like France) it is very difficult. The educational system has to make room for the special cases of athletes who will have their golden years just when others are doing their undergraduate studies.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Beijing Sports University has a lot of ex Olympians as their alumni. It would be an interesting place to visit

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Here is something interesting about HK's model for comparison. The students (who are elite badminton players) go to ordinary school as well as training.

At 15/16 years old, they are asked to choose between playing full time and school. So they will lose the chance to get qualifications. In fact, some years ago, I heard it was discouraged to study and train as a full time player. I don't agree with that myself.

One HK player did buck the trend graduating from a UK university with many of her modules studied online. She went on to do a Master's degree. I know of another who did a degree after retiring from the team.

15. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    The performance of the China juniors at the current Li Ning Sydney international is not so good. Chinese Taipei has the most number of players going into the quarter final followed by Korea. The current ABC, from C Taipei, Lu Chia Hung is probably the favourite for the MS. Xu Wei who won the Austrian WS title is also participating.
    At the WUC in Russia, Chinese Taipei won the team championships. China was represented in all the finals and lost all except the results for the WS is not known. China is represented by YU Zheng, a very competent player. Chinese Taipei is a rising force in world badminton.

16. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    The Li Ning Sydney International 2016 has just completed and Chinese Taipei won three titles with Japan taking two. The current Asian Junior champion Lu Chia Hung was the MS champion and they also won the MD and XD. Its interesting to note that all the Chinese Taipei winners were born in 1997,i.e. 19 years and below. China had Xu Wei who lost in straight sets to the 18 year old Japanese teenager, Shiori Saito.
    Granted that these juniors from China were fairly new, the results point to Chinese Taipei and Japan providing strong opposition to the ROW in the near future.
    Congratulations to them.
    It will be good to see more juniors from China taking part in the remaining competitions for the remainder of the year.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If I'm not wrong, the Chinese contingent hails from a certain province, not even necessarily the best at the provincial level, otherwise they might stand a chance to get into the National 2nd team by going through a selection process.

The equivalent to players of Chinese Taipei's level such as the 19-yr-old Lu Chia Hung, born Mar 4th 1997 (by the way, the current AJC'16 champion is Sun Feixiang, not Lu Chia Hung whom I recall is the 2015 WJC and no longer eligible to play at the junior circuit) should be the likes of Shi Yuqi, Lin Guipu, or the 18-yr-old Sun Feixiang. And for WS, the equivalent level should comprise the likes of 18-yr-old Chen Yufei, Gao Fangjie, and,yes, the 19-yr-old Xu Wei can be counted too (but I believe she's not in the National 2nd Team).

However, I've to admit the Chinese TPE and Japanese juniors are quite a promising lot, the two named, Lu Chia Hung and Shiori Saito having proven themselves in the Sydney IC.

18. badminton-watcher

badminton-watcher Regular Member

TYT bidding farewell ??!!! She's still young and powerful???!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-J111F using Tapatalk

#618 badminton-watcher, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    visor and Justin L like this.
  19. MidCourtMediocrity

MidCourtMediocrity Regular Member

What's going on? I'm a little out of the loop so someone fill me in please. Some of the players retiring are as young as 22 and 26. this... doesn't sound right. Why is there suddenly a mass exodus?

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member