Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

That was towards the end of his career…

2. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

chen long also lost in the first match in the tie in 2014 and 2016 thomas cup defeats.

3. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    And also in the Asian games 2014 team event

4. CLEAN

CLEAN Regular Member

The only time Shi Yuqi has beaten Axelsen, I think:--

5. CLEAN

CLEAN Regular Member

Post deleted.

#3965 CLEAN, Jun 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  6. CLEAN

CLEAN Regular Member

Post deleted.

#3966 CLEAN, Jun 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Weng Hongyang !

8. viver

viver Regular Member

I can't really comment on his mental strength, but being able to play and win against international opponents at the young age of 18 is not for just an average player.

I consider Zhao Jianhua a notch higher than Yang Yang. If we consider both equal on technical and tactical skills, Zhao Jianhua's athleticism takes him to a higher level. Zhao used to beat Yang Yang during training sessions, as per some insiders, 9 out of 10 matches. The issue that affected Zhao the most was just his health - he was affected from a illness in 1985 and never fully recovered. It was not disclosed at that time about his condition and when he was allowed back to training, he worked for 1 hour only (or no training at all if he did not feel well) and would do more if he felt good enough. I cannot imagine the player he could become had he been fully recovered and resumed full training.

Like everything in life, no matter how gifted or talented one can be, you need luck to succeed.

Justin L likes this.
  9. viver

viver Regular Member

Height will, in my opinion, gives the advantage specially when attacking - in the back have wider choice of angles to attack, in the front blocking and intercepting on height and sides. May not be as efficient with frontal (at the net for flat returns) and closer to the body returns.

Doubles is a more complex issue. The pairs should be with compensating skills but also the understanding and camaraderie between the players is fundamental.

10. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Is chen long gonna be in the world championship? With Asian games postponed indefinitely, is he juz coming back full time? And with syq training again, i wonder what would be his first tournament back? Maybe world championships as well?

11. Habisin-Habisin

Habisin-Habisin Regular Member

I was a kid when I watched ZJH demolish Joko Suprianto like an amateur player in All England 1990.
    At the 1992 Olympics all Indonesians were so worried about ZJH, surprisingly he lost in the QF round to Hermawan Susanto.
    Even though Alan Budi Kusumah finally won the gold medal, the Indonesian fans still considers Hermawan as a hero for that gold medal.
    #throwback #memory

sen likes this.
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I felt Yang Yang was the more dependable player. Although I agree a taller player has certain qualities that may be advantageous, can’t these be outweighed by a shorter player having :
    faster speed,
    better tactical knowledge,
    better variation in shots,
    a far better defence,
    better mental strength…

13. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

According to Chinese articles from ~3 weeks ago he accepted the invitation to this year's World Championships

14. viver

viver Regular Member

Like I said, don't know how Zhao Jianhua progress would have been if he wasn't affected by his illness. As far as I remember, his impact in the international scene was earlier than Yang Yang. Zhao was then considered a favorite for the 1985 World Championships, but fell ill during the tournament and sent back to China even before the championship finishing. Considering someone who trains 1H day and still able to achieve the results that he did post 85, I would say he was more successful than others. On the other hand, Yang Yang worked really hard during training sessions.

Regarding speed, shorter players being better, that's why the compromise according to the Chinese coaches, players around 185cm (men) have the ideal height for badminton. For shots variation I would disagree, taller players should have an advantage on angles and steeper shots compared to shorter players. Zhao Jianhua for example, was capable of placing full smashes where others could do with half smashes/fast drops.

Tactical knowledge, defence and mental strength; I do not see any difference with a player's height. This would have to do more with the individual's determination to achieve their goals.

15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

CBA had declined BWF WChampionships invitation for him, China will be represented by Chen Long and Lu Guangzu in Tokyo world meet.

16. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

It happened once in their first meeting in Dubai SS Finals group stage five years ago.

17. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

He's huge talented player no doubt, 1985 All England title to beat Morten Frost in final was strong evidence when the unknown Chinese youngster topped podium at that time.

I guess it's not bad luck in Barcelona 1992 but immense pressure, being overwhelming favourite as top-seed in the biggest multi-sport event.
    upload_2022-6-6_19-11-23.png

#3977 CLELY, Jun 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    viver likes this.
  18. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

So their only shot would be Chen long? Im excited to see chen long back though, its been so long since the Olympics

19. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Is li shifeng injured?? he gave a walkover

20. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Yes, just curious how good his performance after one-year hiatus, his protected WR will be expired on October 2022.