Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Not too concerned for him about not having international tournament exposure.

I am more concerned about his training and especially sparring possibilities in China with the other national MS players and also coaches being in the training base in Thailand or out on the road (haven't head anything on CL leaving to join them).

Keep in mind how CBA managed to keep the players in shape (both physically and mentally) before Tokyo OG as well.

On a sidenote, Chen Long seems to have accepted his invitation to the WC in Japan later this year.

#3901 Woesi, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
    Justin L and Cheung like this.
  2. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

He should definitely join the team in Thailand too if he wants to remain competitive and start playing in order tournaments regularly until the Asian games whenever that is if that’s his goal

Justin L and Cheung like this.
  3. viver

viver Regular Member

This is what I would love to wait and see. The way I see it, players need to have the technical skills in order to conduct out the tactical play.

Sun Jun does not seem to understand the requirements or willing to work at that time to become consistent top player and left the national team in disagreement with the technical team.

Lin Dan did follow the recommendations, I believe were similar.

4. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    I thought I had posted this yesterday, but didn't.

Somebody must be awakening the gods of craft as both LSF and ZJP are very different players from a few tournaments ago. Let's see how ZJP plays the technically deceptive Liew Darren. If he can can counter the trick shots that will come over the net then I congratulate the coaches and player.
    We know that ZJP lost. I haven't seen the match to make any comments.

#3904 antssantss, May 20, 2022
    Last edited: May 20, 2022
  5. antssantss

Retired
    What is the difference between the LSF now and before? For me it is the tempo of his game. Someone has made him realise that he is naturally a fast and attacking player.. Previously he didn't know whether to attack or play a patient "Chinese" style game. So he made many errors as his tempo was not natural. Now we see him enjoying his game. His shots are so clever and accurate. He is now fun to watch.
    Let's see how he handles Kodai Naroaka tomorrow.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Li Shifeng is too eager to attack even though his defense isn't nearly superb yet. Not only that, he has to widen his shot variation, too few net play, drop shot and lacking a good dose of deception. True, I now see him trying to rally a bit more and bide his time to attack, perhaps thanks to Qiao Bin's coaching. but, still, too often we see him going for the attack prematurely, esp when the score is too close for comfort.

I feel it's advisable that he develops an all-round game first before specializing in attacking badminton otherwise his weakness or vulnerability will be exploited by every opponent.

7. cococo

cococo Regular Member

I think maybe Chinese youths aren't into badminton anymore. I read that basketball is the most popular sport now.

Meanwhile badminton is getting popular in India. Is it really surprising that India started to come up?

Passion will always bring you further.

Sent from my SM-A307GN using Tapatalk

8. antssantss

Retired
    Well done LSF. You gave LSJ a scare alright .Based on this and recent performances I think it is fair to say that he is the best MS player in the Chinese team. Unless Why has also been given a makeover by Bin Qiao.We will know when they both take part in the Indonesian tournaments next month.
    Congratulations to LSF and ZSW /HYQ in the XD.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

What a pleasant surprise from Li Shifeng today in the Thai Open 2022 Final when he had Lee Zii Jia on the ropes in the decider only to let him escape by the skin of his teeth.

In fact, right from the get-go, LSF played a different game from what I expected of him, he's using his brains and not just brawns to match the most in-form hotshot player at the moment, the formidable LZJ whom I thought would put the young upstart in his place easily under 15 points each in two straight sets. Instead what transpired left me speechless and riveted to my seat throughout as he was able to trouble LZJ most of the way from beginning to the end and only his inexperience and impatience at the last lap allowed LZJ to force deuces during which, once again, the younger man's eagerness to force the issue pushed the shuttle long at the backline twice when perhaps a soft tap or block might have made the difference, thus ending his hopes of causing a big upset. What a huge pity.

Nevertheless, I am quite satisfied with LSF's incredible performance despite suffering a narrow defeat as he demonstrated his ability to adopt a different strategy with a good mix of tactics to keep LZJ on his toes as they traded blows right down to the wire in a match that could've gone either way. If only LSF had handled the crucial stage in G3 a little better, first at matchpoint -19, or during the deuces that followed, Lady Luck might've smiled on him. I daresay it was an outcome that speaks better of the loser than the winner, taking everything into consideration, not least of which their wide disparity in world rankings aside from relative achievements to date.

Alas, it was so near yet so far, a miss is as good as a mile for LSF as I lamented in the relevant tournament thread. Even so, I trust it's the kind of experience that should stand him in good stead going forward for which I've no doubt he will grow from strength to strength in the tournaments ahead.

Well done. Keep it up, Li Shifeng ! You are really improving. Way to go !

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Come to think of it, Qiao Bin's coaching for the Chinese second tier and junior men's singles team is creditable.

11. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Li SF, Weng HY are considered CHN first-layered player based on their recent performance, just too bad INA Masters qualification round draw will pit these two young men faced off prematurely.

12. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

January 2023 and he will start from the scratch as his WR = 0.

13. Justafan90

That’s crazy! When did his one year ban started? Last year thomas Cup right?

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If he gets to enter any tournaments. With covid in China and city lockdowns all over the place, how can any player get out of China to enter a tournament?

It might be better for the China team to have a longer “temporary” base outside of mainland China.

15. Justafan90

He should juz move to their base outside of china

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

If he has permission…..

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Any new developments on how long the China team will stay in Chiang Mai training base?

Can’t quite remember but wasn’t it until the world championships?

18. Justafan90

I mean he cant play fine but they won’t let him train too?

19. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

He is training with the provincial team. This is common in China (a temporary stint back to the provincial team for various reasons)

Cheung likes this.
  20. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

The ban decision likely to impose after TC semifinal incident, perhaps December 2021.

Until JPN Open (late August) then unfortunately AG has been postponed into uncertain period of times. Don't know whether they will extend overseas training in Chiang Mai or stick to the original plan.

And CBA must pay extra expense to deploy him in many satellite tournaments which majority take place in Europe.

Cheung likes this.