Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    Why in my opinion is the best of the 3. But I don't see him becoming no 1.
    He needs to improve his power and deception. JC was able to pick up most of his smashes. To beat LZJ you need delaying strokes so he doesn't get into position to smash. But he doesn't have that skill yet. My humble opinion. Yes LLx is too late. You are right

CLELY likes this.
  2. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Interesting to wait how CHN will rebuild their next gen squad to strike back from the lowest point.

3. viver

viver Regular Member

From what I understood, he was not regarded as a technical player by the Chinese badminton coaches. As a player he resigned from the national team because he did not agree with the coach(es) harsh training regime.

Would be an interesting inclusion to the technical staff. He may bring different insights to the management team.

4. viver

viver Regular Member

If we look at past history Chinese coaches were able to come back with a strong squad after a low point. The current ones may have to work harder to identify the talents and work from there. The retired coaches might be available for advice.

5. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Similar situation with early 90's era post Yang Yang & Zhao Jianhua, Li/Tian retirement (1990/1992) under the guidance of very-disciplined and charismatic Hou Jia Chang as head coach, CHN MS squad banked on some average players like Liu Jun, Wu Wenkai at that time but didn't succeed then if I'm not mistaken Li Yongbo took the helm since then, starting from 1994 Thomas Cup that consisted of the inexperienced youngsters like Dong Jiong, Sun Jun who gradually became top players in mid 90's till 2000 though incomparable with Yang Yang/Zhao, Lin Dan in terms of their achievement.

viver, nokh88 and Cheung like this.
  6. antssantss

Retired
    If I told you that ZJP will beat KM in two sets, I am sure no one will agree with me. Albeit that KM is not the player he used to be. But credit is due to ZJP as he played beyond his capabilities. Well done.
    And LSF overcoming KN in two sets is another achievement for Chinese badminton. LSF also demonstrated a game I have not seen before. Even KM was frustrated and reacted badly. He behaved badly. LSF read and picked up most of his smashes. KN is usually very aggressive but in this match it was LSF who attacked very well. If he can continue with this mode of play I have great hopes for his future.

#3886 antssantss, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 18, 2022
    Justin L likes this.
  7. antssantss

Retired
    This MD Liang Wei Keng and Wang Chang is very impressive. Very Fast and great smashes. They play a different style from most Chinese doubles. I think they will go far.

8. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

The same ZJP who was apparently the epitome of “failed” Chinese MS talent/training/“playing style” a week ago, haha.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

About Li Shifeng, yes, he's still a work-in-progress, a raw talent or unpolished gem.

As for Zhao Junpeng, he's lucky Momota wasn't into the game, just going through the motions and apparently wanting to get it over with quickly and go home. True, some time ago I thought ZJP was showing signs of improvement but he soon proved me wrong, the consistency simply isn't there. During today's match with Momota, I heard that Qiao Bin was the coach on the sideline, I'd be remarkably surprised if QB could raise ZJP's game another level. Let's see how ZJP fare the following rounds.

10. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

This is getting out of hand, they have to at least remain competitive while the youngsters are coming up. Is SYQ gonna be unbanned soon? What’s CL doing now that the asian games has been postponed?

11. antssantss

Retired
    I am always hoping that I am wrong as the coaches seem to believe in him. Alas a leopard cannot change its spots..
    I am positive about Bin Qiao. His attacking game and deception was not the usual Chinese mode of play. Hopefully he can impart some of the "tricks" to the youngsters.
    CBA should set up a team to prepare the youngsters aged 15 to 18 for the future of the game.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Chen Long really has to play a couple of tournaments before the Asian Games next year if that's what he's aiming for prior to announcing his retirement after that; otherwise without taking part in any competition to hone his skills, I'm afraid his brief comeback is likely to fall far short of expectations.

13. antssantss

Retired
    Do You agree this is a different LSF ? An aggressive, fast and deceptive player. Gone is the wooden player who just returns shuttles and hope he scores a point. Here he is hungry for a point and places his returns with a bit of delay and then whips it . This breaks the opponents tempo..
    This is very much Bin Qiao's style. It seems to suit LSF. I believe this player is a level higher than WHY. Let's See .Congratulations LSF you finally have your own style of play and its very good.

14. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Combination of liu xuanxuan/ xia yuting seem to be going nowhere. No improvement & results shown so far.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes,I can see signs of change too, he's continually working on his game, learning and adjusting as he goes along.

Right, I agree Qiao Bin was a thinking player in his active days, just wondering what he can bring as a coach that Li Mao couldn't. But with the latter probably stretching himself too thin if he has to handle the entire CHN MS team, I supposed it's a good idea to have QB sharing the workload and I believe XXZ must have seen something in QB to enlist him as a MS coach.

At the moment,I think it's too early to say who between the two, WHY and LSF, is the more talented and how far they can go. Besides, they're still relatively young at 22 and only beginning to make some minor breakthroughs in their career.

#3895 Justin L, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
  16. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

No one knew who WHY is until a few weeks ago. Something must have changed

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I don’t see Sun Jun as a technician but a tactician.

viver likes this.
  18. justforfun

justforfun Regular Member

Xue Song recently mentioned that coaches in CBA don't really get paid that well compared to how much more they can earn coaching casual players, and have to spend most of their time away from home to go on tournaments with players. It's not a lucrative job and takes too much dedication.

19. antssantss

Retired
    They should give the coaches a proper remuneration. It's a sport that is the pride of the nation. What are the directors in CBA not looking at this ? They should help from the backroom as the from line is busy.

20. antssantss

Retired
    I used to like ZJP's style of play but he was no good at court craft. It has taken him a very long time to get to this stage. I just hope it's a turnaround. He had class mixed with a lot of clumsiness then. I like his game now and pray that he is reborn as its is so nice to watch elegant, sans the silly errors.

#3900 antssantss, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022