Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    Agree with your comments on WZY. She needs more speed and power to prevent attacking players overcoming her game.
    But good progress indeed

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

To tell you the truth, I'm also secretly hoping for one of the CHN WS youngsters to overtake He Bingjiao in the Race to Tokyo, and my pick at the moment is none other than, you guessed it right, Wang Zhiyi.

Sorry to say, sending He Bingjiao to Tokyo is a waste, she's unlikely to even make it to the semifinals, let alone medal, I'd rather bet on a young hungry up-and-comer who is still improving and on the off-chance capable of causing upsets to almost any of the top guns, unlike HBJ whose strengths, weaknesses and vulnerabilities are familiar to all her opponents. That's me.

3. antssantss

Retired
    Although I agree with you she is vulnerable, however I believe she has all the skills to win the gold . She needs to control her lifts i.e. her length and accuracy. She needs the CYF and WZY touch and the patience to place her shots. If she can reduce her mistakes she has the attacking power that WZY doesn't have, naturally.
    On another note China's weakest area was the WD. But what happened here is very interesting. All the top pairs were taking part in this tournament but surprisingly it is the newest Chinese pairings that are into the final, beating all the rest. Is it due to the Korean coach, producing results so quickly!! If so congratulations.
    Now MS is the weakest followed by the MD. Come on the juniors. If the coaches can turn Huang Yuxiang from an average player to become a player to be wary of by the top players why can't they produce someone from the 17 and 18 year olds to become a talent.

4. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

It's just only one tournament, too early to judge Huang Yuxiang has transformed to be better player. Huang stunned Momota in INA Open, July 2019 but what happened after that? He's back to lackluster form as usual.

upload_2020-1-12_9-33-36.png

As you can see on above stats, a string of early exits after made big headline in Jakarta.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Chen Xiaoxin withdrew from both this week's INA Masters and last week's MAS Masters. Wonder what happened to her. From what I've gathered, she last retired in her match with An Se Young in R2 of the French Open in Oct'19 and followed by another retirement in R1 with Nozomi Okuhara at the Fuzhou China Open last Nov'19.

Doesn't look good withdrawing from two consecutive tournaments during the last four months of the OG QF period. Anyway, she's not expected to be in the running for Tokyo 2020 but still it doesn't bode well for her after nearly two months rest from her last tournament. She is one of the CHN WS juniors I'm keeping tab on.

6. antssantss

Retired
    Only Lei Lan Xi of the juniors is listed to play on the 11th of February in the Badminton Asia Team Championships. Last year we had a number who played in junior tournaments in Europe but none this year. Sad.

7. antssantss

Retired
    Its quite amazing how the coaches have improved Zhao Jun Peng and Huang Yuxiangs game. They were so average that I suggested the CBA should make them train the juniors instead of persevering and entering them in tournaments. I always thought ZJP had an elegant game but he just didn't know how to win matches. Similarly HYX had a great attacking game and was so fast but he used to make so many errors. I don't think they will be at the top, but for ZJP to be 2 up HtoH with Vittinghus is quite an achievement. We will see how HYX handles Lee Zii Jia.
    BTW I wonder what happened to ZZQ?

8. antssantss

Retired
    Huang Yuxiang Huang Yuxiang, Why didn't you play like this when you were 20 years old? If I told you that HYX can give Lee Zii Jia a set and win in 3 who would believe me? Wow Unbelievable. I have hope for China's MS with happenings like this. They couldn't do this with Du Pengyu, Bin Qiao and Tian Houwei, who were at the senior team from the onset.

9. djake

djake Regular Member

Dr
    Huang Yuxiang was the AJC in 2012 and was indeed there from the onset. Sadly, late exposure has hindered his development and his standard was too far away from his contemporaries (DPY, THW and Wang Zhengming) to be relevant at that time.

I don’t exactly think DPY and THW were failures. They reached no2 and no5 in the world respectively. I think they realized that they would never be the next LD or CL, hence decided to retire early. To be fair, how many LD / CL would you get in a generation. Huang Yuxiang will have done extremely well to get to DPY and THW’s level and I doubt he ever will. And he’s only one year younger than THW.

#2809 djake, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Cai Yanyan has to learn to be a bit more patient, construct her rallies better, and cut down on unforced errors. She is often too eager to attack and finish off the rally.

As for Huang Yuxiang, I feel he has improved a fair bit under Li Mao's coaching, no longer easy meat for any of the top players. Hope to see him a late bloomer.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Wang Zhiyi continues her progress by another small but significant step, beating WR3 Akane Yamaguchi albeit by the slenderest of margin, 26-24 in the decider at R16 of the INA Masters'20 today, that after scalping WR5 Intanon Ratchanok last week in R16 of the Perodua MAS Masters'20 also be deuce, 22-20 in the decider.

Wang Zhiyi's making slow and steady progress at age 19 may not be as sensational as the 17-year-old An Se Young's sensational breakout by leaps and bounds but it's, to me, as encouraging and outstanding if she can reach the top one day and stay there long enough to garner a list of coveted titles. Let time tell.

#2811 Justin L, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  12. antssantss

Retired
    Wang Zhiyi beat Akane Yamaguchi, wow what an upset. This after beating RI as well. She is certainly rising in the world. She needs more power ,speed and variety in her game. Congratulations. Lets see how she plays against Sayaka Takahashi tomorrow.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

At the ongoing INA Masters'20, Wang Zhiyi marches on, overcoming Sayaka Takahashi in two straight sets, 21-19, 21-11, to earn herself a semifinal match with Intanon Ratchanok tomorrow against whom she beat narrowly in three sets just last week.

Good job, WZY. Way to go!

OTOH, He Bingjiao disposed of Zhang Beiwen in a tight two-setter, 21-16, 22-20, to set up the other semifinal clash with Marin who bested the KOR child prodigy An Se Young, 21-17, 21-6, thus avenging her previous defeat to the young up-and-comer.

Personally, I'm concerned to see if He Bingjiao's fitness issue would start to trouble her significantly by the semifinals stage, if not the quarterfinals, as is usually the case in most tournaments. Hope to see her make the final but, I must say, Marin is a fast attacking super-fit opponent - do you get my drift?

14. antssantss

Retired
    Wow. WZY beat S. Takahashi World ranked 14. Congratulations and well done. She will meet Ratchanok in the semi finals. If she wins it secures her place as a top player in WS. Lets see what happens tomorrow. Best of luck. It's not easy to play RI consecutively and won both times.

15. antssantss

Retired
    If HBJ has the defensive capabilities of CYF and WZY she can break down CM 's game. Unfortunately she hasnt acquired those skills yet, so i dont think she will prevail

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In my opinion, He Bingjiao is a smart, thinking and skillful player if she gives free rein to her talents and not confine herself to following the coach's instructions too much, which tends to stymie her natural free-flowing, creative and somewhat deceptive game. For me, it's mainly still her fitness and stamina problem that's affecting her progress though she has improved somewhat now.

Actually, I'm thinking if Li Mao is also asked to help out in CHN WS in addition to his main duties in MS, I really hope he can do something for He Bingjiao, and not only her, to overcome their weaknesses and shortcomings, thus improve their standard generally. A new broom sweeps clean, after all.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Lin Guipu has to start from zero, he can only be in the reserved list of a Super100 event, the home-based Lingshui Masters where he is at R24, very unlikely he will get to play. That means he must play in as many Int'l Series and Int'l Challenge events to garner ranking points in double-quick time, an uphill battle but one that he is well prepared for, I believe.

As for Shi Yuqi, he's not even taking a break in February, having registered himself to play in the Lingshui Masters S100 and the Austrian Int'l Challenge, imagine that, the first time he's taking part in such a low tier event. One can imagine the kind of pressure he's under to perform and rise in the Race to Tokyo 2020, aiming for a good seeding in the top 8 so as to avoid his main rivals in the early rounds in the remaining tournaments and for the Olympics.

And, yes, I'm glad to see the return of Gao Fangjie after a long injury layoff, she'll be making her appearances in the Badminton Asia Team Championships, the Austrian Open Int'l Challenge, and the Lingshui Masters S100 in February. Hope to see her rise quickly through the ranks and become one of the mainstays in CHN WS.

I'm also concerned about Chen Xiaoxin who has retired or withdrawn from her last three tournaments, and I'm pleased to see her registered for the Spain Masters S300 next month.

If I may mention in passing, I'd to point out that I noticed some significant improvements in the game of the now 20 years old Li Shifeng, esp, and,to a lesser extent, the 23-year-old Zhao Junpeng's, of late. At the just-concluded Thailand Masters, I happened to catch some matches of Li Shifeng and Zhao Junpeng on my smartphone during Chinese New Year and both of them performed such that it gave me some real hope that either one of the two of them might be on the cusp of a breakthrough, more likely Li Shifeng.

First, LSF remarkably overcame the established veteran Son Wan Ho who presumably wasn't back to his best yet but it was a well-fought tight match nevertheless, winning 22-20, 21-19; second, LSF started badly against his next opponent in R2, Ng Kah Long,by as much as 4-12, 6-15 at some points, but he gradually reduced the deficit to lose by a decent score of 15-21 in G1; then in G2, he even held three matchpoints, 20-17, but failed to convert it to lose the deuce 21-23. As we know, NKL emerged the eventual title winner. My views of LSF is based more on how he played than what the scorelines told, noticeably more forceful in his atatck, more tenacious inhis defence, and his physique a bit more muscular (as seen on HD livestream when he was changing his shirt during the break).

As for Zhao Junpeng, after dropping G1 unflatteringly by 13-21, he came back strongly the next two sets against Wang Tzu Wei. After equalising with G2 convincingly by 21-12, he actually raced off to a roaring start in G3 by 10-0 and closed out the match just as remarkably by 11 points margin, 21-10,and that against a player of Wang Tzu Wei's caliber is nothing short of spectacular. Mind you, WTW wasn't sufffering any dfiscomfort or anything. However, disappointingly, ZJP didn't follow that up in the quarterfinals with another good performance against Kenta Nishimoto who prevailed over him in two straight sets, 21-11, 22-20. Still, I have to admit ZJP is showing signs of definite improvement. Let's how it goes for these two CHN MS going forward, as well as for Gao Fangjie's and Chen Xiaoxin's progress.

18. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

I think lin guipu may get a chance a to play if the tournment hold according to the schedule because many foreign players may withdraw due to the current situation in china

19. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Who is the best womens mixed doubles player apart from huang yaaiong & huang donping. Sge should be partnered with feng yangze

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Ah yes, I suppose so, the coronavirus outbreak.