China Open Draw

Discussion in 'Hong Kong / Chinese Taipei / China Open 2003' started by 2cents, Nov 5, 2003.

1. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    I just glanced over the latest China open draw. It seems that some men's single players like Taufik and Lee HI not in the list. There is even no indonesia single player, and few Korean single players. But in the men's double event, almost all the top players including all the double players from Indonesia and Korea, are there. Interesting!!!

The reason I can think of is that China's single strong. Even unknown local single players can knock down top foreign players, that's the reason no Indonesian and few Koreans dare to go there to play. While China's doubles are still relatively weak, there are 17 single Chinese players in the main draw while only 2 double Chinese pairs in the main draw. so all the double pair from Indonesia and Korea don't want to miss this opportunity to grab the points and prize money.

Any other thoughts?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    perhaps they only want to play two tournaments so some choose to play HK/Taiwan and decide to skip China.

just like some other (like Wong) decides to play Taiwan/China and skips HK.

playing 3 tournaments in a roll is rather exhausting.

3. robinhood

robinhood Regular Member

I guess there could be a scare factor,
    but if that is the main reason, isn't it rather clever of them not to play in China?
    I mean I know that any of you (including myself) will bet on one of the Chinese players
    winning the men's singles title regardless of the hosting country.
    Let alone the host be China!

This is one of the reason we need a crop of new talents from other countries to step up and make some noise...
    Sadly, all the crops are ripening in China...
    :eek:

4. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Some businessmen told me that in business, when one Chinese businessman competes with one Korean or compete with one Japanese. The Chinese usually will do better than one Korean or one Japanese. If two Chinese, two Koreans, two Japanese compete each other, then two Koreans may make the best partnership in business. But if we increase the team members to 3 and more, then the Japanese teamwork will make their team the best.

It is amazing that it's the same in badminton as in the business field. If fight one to one, as in the single event, Chinese wins the most. If fight as double pairs, koreans are probably the best. Unfortunately, there is no 3 players team play in badminton, otherwise Japanese will dominate.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Kwun's explanation sounds more plausible.

For instance, Kenneth Jonassen didn't play HK, but is in TaiPei and China.

Richard Vaughan is HK/China but not TaiPei. HK players are playing in all three - perhaps because one of the events was on 'home ground', the three tournaments in a row may not be so tiring. They only have a two hour journey to Guang Zhou from HK.

6. springcoming

springcoming Regular Member

china didn't pay much attention to men's doubles. as it is well known the single games are much more attractive than doubles in most sports, such as tennis, pingpang,ect. as a result, the single players who had little room to improve or suffered from injure would be send to practise doubles...
    but now the situation is changing! and u can see the young chinese doubles' rising stars such as Cai Yun/Fu Haifeng and Sang Yang/Zheng Bo
    i am sure china's doubles will be strong in less than two years!

7. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Exactly SpringComing. I don't understand why doubles are sooooooooo hot in badminton. Badminton is not a team event yet!

In tennis, no body care about doubles. The tournaments prizes for the doubles are not comparable. No body thought India as a powerhouse in tennis even though they had world best double pairs. Few tennis fan even know the who's the best in doubles. The best tennis player of the year have never given to any double players.

The situation in table tennis is the same as tennis. Double event is just like a passtime for single players. It is kind of compensation stuff.

But in badminton, IBF has given more best player titles to double players like Chandra, Kim, and others ... If Kim, Wijaya .. are really good, why they cannot win the single title by themself. Bao CL is good in singles, when he lost in singles, he can win the doubles as a compensation. Can any double players say something like "my job is double, and playing single is just for fun".

IBF doesn't want heros in badminton, that's the reason badminton cannot become popular.

Real hero plays singles not doubles.

8. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I'm a doubles player, and I only play singles for fun at training...

I think doubles matches are much more spectacular and require higher skills than singles.

Anyway, doubles in badminton have historically always been very important and I think this is a good thing!

By the way, Candra Wijaya and Kim Dong Moon ARE real heroes!!!

9. springcoming

i should say that, in my opinion, doubles games are really interesting, esp. in speed. in my last reply, i just want to tell a fact that china didn't attach importance to doubles in the past! just in china not the worldwide! i guess everyone here know LI Yongbo, the chinese coach and the former doubles world champion. he used to be a good single player in china but he hurt his leg in the training and he was sent to practise doubles and a double world champion emerged...

but, 2cents, i cannot understand the following u said,
    "If Kim, Wijaya .. are really good, why they cannot win the single title by themself. Bao CL is good in singles, when he lost in singles, he can win the doubles as a compensation. Can any double players say something like 'my job is double, and playing single is just for fun.'"
    do u mean that in ur eyes double players are not so good as singles? actually just two weeks ago, Bao cl lost to lin dan in the final of china' national city games but he won the doubles title the next day.

10. springcoming

seven, i am very glad to meet u, a badminton player, here, and in my mind the badminton players should be the most respectable persons in the world.
    but i cannnot agree with u on ur saying that doubles matches are much more spectacular and require higher skills than singles... is it right? i am not a professional players and don't have the qualification to discuss this problem with u. i only know that there are far more famous single players in the world now than doubles. the competition in singles are sharper! and can u tell me why?

11. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I said this in a reaction to 2cents message...

What is true is that a player with mediocre technique, placement and racket skills can become a good singles player (but of course not a great one) if he has a very good physical condition.

This is impossible in doubles where you can't become good without very good placement and racket skills.

In general, singles and doubles require very different qualities and it is absolutely normal that the same player can't be the best in singles and in doubles at a time.
    (of course there are some rare exceptions)

12. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Defintely agree with you Seven.

In Singles fitness must come first, in Doubles
    team work must come first.

13. springcoming

i agree with u.
    thank u for telling me these, i hope i could learn more from u
    btw, are u professional player? or just for fun?

14. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    no, I'm not a professional player, I trained for 4 years in the regional training centre when I was 15 to 19, but I didn't make it high enough to become pro...
    (it's difficult to succeed both in badminton and in studies... for me, it was studies! ;) )

Now I play mainly for fun, and also do quite a bit of coaching for my club, and various other things!

15. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    by the way, I already gave a few informations on myself in this thread .

Nice to meet you too! :)

Good to have some Chinese guys on this forum, considering how important the game is in China!

In France, badminton has only been getting an "important" sport these last few years. It was pretty confidential before...