China Open(1) and China Open(2), why is that?

Discussion in 'Thailand Open 2007 / China Open (1) 2007 / Philipp' started by Wildstone, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Wildstone

Wildstone Regular Member

Because they have more sponsors and more money to give out ?
    Why don't just make it a $500000 prize even to make the players play more seriously ?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    interesting question.

are they the same sponsor sponsoring both tournaments? if they are different sponsor, then the sponsor will want to have the title sponsorship as that will give them more exposure.

3. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Just something i observed

BWF now disallows multiple satellite / challenger tournament from 1 nation. (e.g. = Surabaya & Jakarta satellite or previous years... now only 1 remain)

BWF allows multiple big Open tournaments hosted in 1 nation (e.g. China Masters & China Open)

Opinions anyone?

4. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    beats me. no idea why. i agree that maybe it should be one tournament with bigger prize money. but i guess it is true about the different sponsors wanting the tournament in their name. but i think it should be fair to all. if indonesia cannot have more than two super series, then china should not have two either. :)

5. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    I read this with interest and I went to the BWF website to do a serach on the tournament regulations. Here is what I found about the Super Series:

Note there is no specific rule said that there cannot be 2 SS held in one country, but there is a limit of maximym 12 SS in one calendar year. The selection of venue is subject to BWF approval upon receival of applications.

In other words, as long as the criteria of prize money is met, a country can submit as many SS applications as they want and BWF will decide and approve up to a maximum of 12 series per calendar year.

The competition rules only specify up to Grand Prix Series and I cannot find anything regarding satellite challenges series, so cannot make any comparison there.

6. yap_yu_tjuk

yap_yu_tjuk Regular Member

accountant
    here's my opinion why bwf let china to have 2 superseries:
    1.china have a big population as a big market...
    2.china top world badminton now with their achievement

7. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    I just double-check the WBF calender and there are 12 SS in 2007 (up to November) and one Super Series Master Final (this is also an mandatory event in BWF plan) in Dec with venue to be decided.

One would argue this is the inaugural year of Super Series, so WBF would not want a situation that they cannot fulfill the 12 SS per calender year plan. So if a member association (be in China or any country) put forward 2 applications, I guess they would be happy to oblige.

When the corporate world recongnise the marketing potential in badminton and more big sponsors are willing to come in with bigger prize money, there will be more applications per year to host the SS, then BWF would have a wider choice of venues and perhaps one country hosting 2 SS may have little chance to reoccur.

As the rules stand, the acurrent rrangement appear to be in order.

8. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    A further thought: it will be a great leap of acheivement in badminton marketing if one day, one of the SS is to be held in North America (US or Canada) !!! I look forward to this day!

9. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Because CHN has strong sponsor capacity to finance 2 bdm tourney in SS level particularly to fulfill prize-money requirement. Based on last year event, China Masters sponsored by AVIVA-COFCO (insurance company?!) meanwhile China Open hold PICC (another insurance company??) as title-sponsor.

It's very good idea if 12 SS will take places in 12 different countries, yeah USA/Canada or Australia are the best candidates for the interest but unfortunately so hard to market badminton in this region. The inaugural SS still concentrates in Asia continent :

- South-East Asia = MAS-SIN-INA
    - East Asia = KOR-CHN(2)-JPN
    - Europe = SUI-ENG-FRA-DEN

*BWF hasn't yet confirmed Super Series Final host, hopefully it will be held in outside 11 SS host countries to avoid monotonous situation...

10. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    i recommend USA to be SS final host :D.. USA is the best in holding a big tournament... and ESPN will broadcast it :p

11. Wildstone

Wildstone Regular Member

Yeah we know that, but why not combine and make it $500000? This will make the tournament outstanding from the others SS.

12. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    You miss out Hong Kong in the list of the current 12 Super Series.:D

13. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    they should move it to other places instead of puttin two together....

eg. French Open... its kinda new in elite group... now its 6*....

they should popularize the sport

instead of still focusing on the same market and place which the opularity of the sport is already on its peak.... :D

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    3. Must be another sponsor willing to put money into.

As I see it, China's badminton team is going through a marketable phase. They are winners, talk to people, connect with people via their blogs and some even do modelling.

You cannot have two sponsors from the same industry at one tournament . When was the last time Pepsi and Coca Cola sponsored a tournament together? Why did FIFA pay compensation to Mastercard recently, or rather, why did Mastercard get annoyed with FIFA?

read what CLELY wrote

#14 Cheung, Jun 28, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2007