China Master 2007 - July 10 - Qualification

Discussion in 'Thailand Open 2007 / China Open (1) 2007 / Philipp' started by kevinboy, Jul 9, 2007.

1. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Huang Chia Shin rallied from 13 to 17 to win 23-21 in 2nd set against Li Wen...just amazing and another talented taiwanese WS....

2. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Li Yu vs Anand Chetan in very tight games : 21-19,20-22,5-5

3. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

BWF should be adopt WTA or ATP rules about replacement of withdrew seeded player (Qualifying & Main Draw).

They put higher unseeded player as the next seeded (example seeded 9, 10 etc for 8 seeded player).
    if seed 1 or 2 withdrew, replaced by seed 3
    seed 3 replaced by seed 5
    seed 5 replaced by seed 9, etc

so the draw still balance and no a qualifier through to Main draw without play while in other side much tougher with complete players.

4. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    They should have considered the changes for long time.....it is not fair that some do not play at all to qualify thus others have to play 3 times to main draw......this has to be changed !!!:mad::mad:

5. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I still go by what I said some months earlier.

Only make the qualifying draw on the day. Or the night before. After all the withdawals has been substituted and accounted for.

Of course, my suggestion is only if it is tecnically possible. I understand at the moment, all draws must be made in BWF. Also the organiser would have to quickly update tournamentsoftware.

6. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Agree about qualifying draw. But I think the main draw should be left as it is. Just a personal preference.

7. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

The draw was made too long before the match started, they should did drawing on Sunday (or Monday) and the BWF & Organizer know sure whose player who confirm to play.

#27 Sandy, Jul 9, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  8. pramilainc

pramilainc Regular Member

ACGT
    lol, Yi LU vs Li YU ....
    how come chinese arent very creative with names....

9. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    That's 109 points played in the match not 109 shots... ;) So it is possible...

10. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

There are often plenty of different Chinese characters sharing the same pronunciation - for some extreme cases, there are more than 50 characters having the same pronunciation. For example, the two characters in "Yang Yang" may have the same pronunciation but they are two different characters - his surname "Yang" means "poplar" while his given name "Yang" means "sun". So, "Lu Yi" and "Yu Li" might be similarly pronounced but they should look quite different in Chinese script.

#30 Inky2000, Jul 9, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  11. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    China players reign supreme in the qualifying rounds in China Masters (as usual). All the qualification spots which had a Chinese contestant were won by Chinese players. Exception is Bjorn Joppien who beat the Chinese players in his group to gain promotion to the main draw.

12. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Yes, looking at the result of the qualifying rounds is pretty dominated by the red flags of China. All Chinese won except German Bjoern Joppien squeezed thru by beating 2 Chinese players, well done in deed in such difficult circumstances.

13. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Not possible cos WBF cannot work that fast. If they don't make mistakes to require a redraw, that's considered a perfect job!
    WBF should have a deterrent clause stating that any Qualifying withdrawals by organising nation's players will be barred from the following year's tournament.

14. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think it is time BWF upgrades itself. The rest of the world is working at breakneck speed. With cheap computers and broadband nowadays, there is no excuse to remain in the stone age.

The advantage of doing the draw later:
    1) Use most recent world rankings
    2) Fewer withdrawals closer to the tournament date
    3) Players can also be given more time to decide whether to enter tournaments, eg. if you are recovering from injury one month before tournament
    4) Lesser chance of having to do a re-draw

If I were appointed the techonology officer (or something like that) for BWF, I definitely would restructure the infrastructure from the bottom up (given enough budget of course). Either the system is 10 years old or they are not using it properly.

15. angelatby

angelatby Regular Member

Architect Assistant, Piano Teacher

Impossible. You are only looking at the advantages but miss out the disadvantages. If all the players are playing against each other at the same place, same country, it will not cause any hassles by doing so. But this is talking about international tournaments. There are too many players in one country. When each country send out the name list, they need to select based on the player's performance, physical fitness, so on and so forth. And when the name list are confirm, they need to send to the organiser, which go through several people, screen over to make sure there are no mistakes. The organiser are going through not only one country, but several countries' players. After the confirmation, they will need to acknowledge by revert back to the applicants. If last minute notice (draw) is given :

(1) The players might not be at their BEST since they cannot withdraw
    (2) Cannot withdraw also doesnt mean no re-draw, because players will walk-over which i think = withdraw
    (3) Too taxing for audience, we would want to see the Draw the earlier the better, who doesnt want to know who are playing, who will re-draw comes later
    (4) To give more preparation for the organiser

16. angelatby

angelatby Regular Member

Architect Assistant, Piano Teacher
    Ha Ha Ha, yeah, my colleagues were jumping around, thought that Lin Dan had lost ! :D I was shocked because Qualifying Round hasnt start. Nevertheless, was thinking that it would be some sort of Friendly Match between them .............. :D (But, who knows, maybe Susilo will really prove to the nation ?? ) Therefore, stay tune !

17. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Impossible?

If the draw is made later, then the closing date for entries can also be nearer the tournament date. That gives more time for assocs to submit their entries. It also allows the assocs and players more accuracy in determining the fitness (and performance etc.) of players (because it is closer to tournament date). How long does it take to screen through a name list? Make full use of what you are looking at now: the computer.

(1) Who said they cannot withdraw? If they are injured in the last minute, they can still withdraw (just like the current situation). But if they are injured one week before tournament, at least the draw will be made without that player.
    (3) I'd rather see the draw a few days before the tournament starts. How many re-draws, PFQs (promotion from qualifiers) and PFMs have we seen? How many lopsided qualification have we seen due to withdrawals. I don't trust draws made a few weeks prior; I know it will change. And in that few weeks, world rankings will probably change.
    (4) What has preparation got to do with the date of draw? They always decide the order of play and court allocations in the last minute anyway.