China Badminton Premier League

Discussion in '2011 Tournaments' started by Jonc108, Jan 6, 2011.

1. *~Taufik~*

*~Taufik~* Regular Member

hahaha icic.. ok i will most probably be there! even if he is not playing, it's good exposure for me too.. thanks! :)

2. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

They are nominally clubs but far from being private.

They are backed by their respective local sports systems run by the local governments. Therefore, although they can hire players from outside (if funding is available) to boost the result, they won't hire too many because these clubs are obliged to the local governments to groom local players. For the local governments, the result at the National Games is paramount. At the National Games, you can't use outside players unless you groom them from teenage boys and girls (e.g. Ma Jin, Chen Jin).

LD is actually a true army boy. Shunned by the local sports system, he was picked up by the army team at age 15 or so. Technically, he is not a soldier but a civilian employee of the armed forces.

There is a draft before each season. At the draft, the teams, in reverse order of ranking in the prior season, pick surplus players from other teams. Players become surplus due to (1) money (the home team can't afford them), e.g. Lu Lan, Cai Yun; (2) belonging to teams not in the premier division, e.g. Yu Yang, Zhang YaWen; or (3) a team has too many A or Pre-A players when they can use them in 2 or 3 matches at the most.

The Guangzhou club may be as private as it gets. Since the Guangzhou city participates in the National Games only as part of the Guangdong province, it gets a partial pass at grooming local players. The Guangdong team finished second last in the pre-tournament qualification and is not in the premier division.

#102 RedShuttle, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  3. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Thanks for all those very interesting informations, Red Shuttle. I wish I could know more ; do you have a source I could read? (I read Chinese).
    I does not surprise me to learn that clubs are tied to state organizations : what is not in China? But this seems to be quite seriously embedded into the state organization, implying formation of youth.
    It reminds me a bit of the french football organization, where the clubs are private but the league is public, and each club is responsible for the formation of youth.
    So if I understood correctly, clubs have to groom local players because the local state sports governing body is judged on national results so it obliges the clubs to help them in grooming the youth. Moreover, each player is tied to his home province or at least to the place he received his training.
    I suppose the finance from each club varies according to sponsors.
    I knew Lin Dan received his formation from Bayi. I meant the army is not a locality... A funny thing is to see the training videos of Chen Jianhua, a Bayi coach, where we see a young Wang Xin demonstrating... I thought Bayi would only train the top : how come they piked up a boy not chosen by his province?
    I use the occasion also to ask about Beijing : how come they are not in the premier division?
    Well thanks for your time Red Shuttle

4. RedShuttle

You can start with the usual suspects such as the official site for the league sports.qq.com/zt2010/yuchao/index.htm, badminton sections of Sina, Sohu and various sports forums. I am afraid that there is not a single comprehensive source of information for badminton.

As discussed many times before, badminton is not financially self-sustaining, in China and pretty much everywhere. As such, the imprint of governments or quasi-government agencies is quite strong in badminton.

5. RedShuttle

To the question of why Beijing is not in the premier division, the answer is that they are not very good.

There were accusations that during the qualifying tournament, someone threw some matches to allow Shanghai through and squeeze Beijing out of the premier division.

Once out, it is very difficult to get funding and attract talents to get back to the premier division. There is a big gap between the premier division teams and the first division teams. As bad as Shanghai was last year, they easily beat out the first division challenger to remain in the premier division.

6. orangejuice

orangejuice Regular Member

student
    Huh so sad :( must try harder :)

7. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    20% of his skill would be enough.

8. orangejuice

student
    hahahaa 20 % already good :)

9. kar_mun

kar_mun Regular Member

Interesting results for matches on 26/2:

WSX bt Lu Lan 21-18, 20-22, 21-19.
    CL bt BCL 20-22, 21-14, 21-15.
    WYH just retired while leading 21-13, 20-22, 9-6 against CXJ. What happen to WYH? Is she injured? That would be a pity if she's really injured. Hope it's not serious.

Bayi team is so not in a good position now. Only 1 win out of 4 games. I think if LD plays just now, Bayi would have won. If LD really plays at German Open, I wonder how can Bayi actually survive the 2 games next week without LD.

#109 kar_mun, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  10. orangejuice

student
    Who is CXJ???:(

11. levia patrisia

levia patrisia Regular Member

-
    maybe chen xiao jia

12. kar_mun

kar_mun Regular Member

WYH twisted her right knee. Hopefully it's not serious.

Yes, CXJ is Chen Xiao Jia, the 2009 Asian Junior champion.

13. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

CXJ = Chen Xiaojia

14. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

I think it's quite serious, but I hope it's not the same case as Wang Lin!! She injured her right knee when she was trying to save the shuttle. She heard 'crack' on her knee, sounds terrible!

15. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Wang Yihan injured her right knee

Wang Yihan injured her right knee. She was sent to the hospital immediately after that. The condition is not that good.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      17.5 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      19 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      28.1 KB
      Views:
  16. kar_mun

kar_mun Regular Member

Yes, WYH's condition doesn't sound good. What a pity for China's WS, 2 injury problems. First Wang Lin, now Wang Yi Han. Sad la. Both my favorite WS players are Wang Lin and Wang Yi Han.

17. orangejuice

student
    @suetyan : thanks for answer :) now how is she ? :( I hope she can recovery from her injury :)

18. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

yes, 2 players, same injury within one year time. I think the coaches should be responsible to this too. Hope Yihan's condition is not as bad as Wang Lin :( Otherwise, I am sure she will miss the OG's boat.

19. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

she was sent to the hospital, waiting for the X-ray's result.

20. orangejuice

student
    Hopes she will be oke .. she is my fav player .. hopes the X-Ray result will be good .. did u talk with her ??