Chen Qingchen陈清晨/Jia Yifan贾一凡

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2019-03-12/doc-ihsxncvh1782211.shtml

Ah, so this is what contributed to the success of Chen Qingchen/Jia Yifan winning the prestigious All England trophy, aka the mini-world championship in badminton circles. My translation of the relevant paragraph follows:

The night before, Coach Pan Li specifically responded to Jia Yifan's stubborn streak in character when on court by issuing her a 'diplomatic note' saying," if you don't play well in the final, I forbid you to watch your idol's birthday bash" (If I'm not wrong, JYF's idol refers to a Korean movie star or superstar singer as she is known to be a huge K-wave fan, even learning Korean for the sake of it - Justin L).

During G2, Coach Pan yelled:" I want a change (in tactics) !" Jia Yifan said half in jest:" The key to our victory lies in our making timely tactical changes, boldly. Moreover, I was afraid if I didn't do as told, coach Pan would not allow me to 'chase my idol' "

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Glad to see Chen Qingchen/Jia Yifan taking the year-end Word Tour Finals crown in WD, in addition to a couple of other titles captured earlier in the year. Congratulations, good job. Keep it up.

Also, it's good to know that CHN WD is beginning to benefit from the enlistment of the Korean doubles coach, Kang Kyung Jin, as Jia Yifan acknowledged by giving credit to him during the post-match interview. Short of divulging any specifics such as tactics, understandably, Jia Yifan when asked what coach Kang has imparted to them, only mentioned that he is working hard learning some Mandarin every day so as to better communicate with them, and so far his most used phrases are "Don't worry, no hurry, take your time".

I understand that of the two Korean coaches enlisted by CBA, Kang Kyung-jin is in-charge of CHN WD while Yoo Yong Sung, the CHN MD. Incidentally, the CHN MD pair, He Jiting/Tan Qiang, just won the Syed Modi S300 title two weeks ago.

Of course, it's still too early to say the CHN Men's and Women's Doubles are out of the woods yet, esp CHN MDs.

3. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

4. Yeung Chao

Yeung Chao Regular Member

I am surprised to see some double standards here in the CBA. Both MD and WD pairs played extremely poor in the Tokyo Olympics gold medal matches. Both losses cost China dearly by losing two extra gold medals from their Olympic gold medal tally. Otherwise they would have been the first country to beat USA in the overall gold medal tally in Olympics.

I understand that Liu and Li are pretty done with their careers after losing badly to the Taiwanese. But this pair Chen/Jia were embarassing as well. They made errors and totally did not play like champions.

Why are they still playing together and even featured in major tournament? I do not understand CBA's logic in this.

5. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Chen Qing Chen and Jia Yifan are not done mentally.

Li Yuchen Liu Yunhui are done mentally.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's called second chances, everyone deserves it, don't they? It's not a do-or-die situation.

One strike and you're out as you suggested is not only too harsh but also a waste of talents and resources.

Woesi likes this.
  7. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

China did beat USA in the overall gold medal tally in Olympics in Beijing

8. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    and they tied usa (39) in tokyo 2020 if you include hk (38+1) :D:D:D

9. Yeung Chao

No Badminton player has ever won more than 2 Olympic Gold Medal. She is the one with the best chance of scoring at least one more in Rio 2016 after being the biggest winner from the controversial London Olympics.

What goes around comes around...she got screwed over by both her partners in Mixed Doubles and Women's Doubles. What a tragic way to end the career.

10. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Out of topic, but I agree

11. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Liu/Li has had issues on and off for a while now. LJH is troubled by injuries and the chemistry issue seems legit. Chen/Jia otoh, seems to be a coherent pair and the Olympic final seems to be a true learning experience. Their age is favorable for Paris comparing to all other top pairs. I don’t see why they should break up.

Justin L and Woesi like this.
  12. cococo

cococo Regular Member

But I think Liu/Li is still their most stable pair right? I don't see any other Chinese MD players who can fill in their shoes now,maybe Zhou Haodong and He Jiting,but their world rank is so low and it will take them a long time to get the points needed to qualify for big events,same if another junior pair were to be pushed now.

Sent from my SM-A307GN using Tapatalk

13. Yeung Chao

Regardless, this pair has broken the tradition by being the worst performing Chinese women pair in a gold medal match in Olympics since 1992. They made mistakes, played badly and did not "turn up" in a match that matters most which is the Olympic Gold Medal Match. This is unforgivable.

All the Chinese women doubles that were sent to Olympics were solid and powerful. Rio 2016 is an exception because of an internal screw up of Zhao Yunlei by her partners and by right that year it was supposed to be Tang JianHua, Bao Yixin and Tang Quanting to really shine but it was not meant to.

This pair is already a red flag to me the moment they lost a few key matches in the past for example the Sudirman Cup final. I never like this pair and knew they will be a disappointment and they really did disappoint on the bigger stage. By right, they should be split or replaced by newer pairs. Looks like China is facing the same problem as Korea where the younger snowflake generations are not interested in Badminton anymore.

14. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

You are right. li/Liu will participate in WC : )

cococo likes this.
  15. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

I’m not a big fan of Chen/Jia (mostly CQC, I do think JYF is a very strong player). But what you wrote was kind of ridiculous. They have won all major trophies except for OG, where they were runner-up. They have favorable h2h records with most of their top rivals. They have been the most reliable point in team competition (with the one exception of 2017 which is like ages ago). They already rank high in Chinese WD in terms of achievement (recall very accomplished players like Wang Xiaoli didn’t win OG), and they have lots of time to win more including OG.

Justin L likes this.
  16. Yeung Chao

Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli will never play like CQC/JYF. The latter pair played like REALLY badly in an important final especially when you have a reputation for winning every so-called titles on the circuit.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Chen Qingchen/Jia Yifan unexpectedly choked in the final of Tokyo OG with a subpar performance whilst doing fine en route.

Similarly for Li Junhui/Liu Yuchen who simply couldn't get their game going, committing mistakes galore in the Tokyo OG final. It's as if they were able to channel their buildup tensions to give of their best en route to the gold medal match at which point it suddenly became too much for them.

I believe it's experiences like this that , if taken in the right spirit and learned the right lessons from it, should stand them in good stead in future high-stakes matches.

To be fair, just one flop doesn't erase all they have achieved before it. Look at Lee Chong Wei, he kept failing to overcome his archrivals in one major championship after another, first to Lin Dan and then to Chen Long, but he never gave up and racked up a remarkable list of prestigious titles that most would envy.

justiceforlcy and Woesi like this.
  18. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Lost to Lee So Hee 3 times now in major team events, and Lee So Hee had 3 different partners in these 3 matches (Chang/Shin/Baek).

Just an interesting fact, in general they play well against Korean pairs, had a mostly one-sided record against Lee-Shin…

samkool and Cheung like this.