Chen Long ( 谌龙 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by robin7, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thank you so much for your compliments and kind words of appreciation. :)

2. mohans

mohans Regular Member

One of those traits that I see missing in post-Rio CL’s game is his periodic counter attacking skills. He used to counter attack, whenever his defense gets himself out of unfavorable situations in rallies, during his peak in WC ‘14-15 and OC ‘16. Now days, it is more often than not, strong defense to neutralize pressure followed by patient rallies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin L likes this.
  3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Good observation. Generally correct.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I recall reading in Kento Momota's thread some time ago that Hans Kristian Vittinghus was saying about Momota and Chen Long being similar in that they both are capable of playing like 10-15 good shots consecutively without conceding anything so much so that their opponents, himself included, felt they have to play one extra good shot to win the rally. And in his opinion, he thought Momota is something like 5 - 10 % better than Chen Long in that regard.

Apparently, HKV is comparing the current Chen Long with Momota. I tend to believe that Chen Long in his heyday, say, from 2014 to 2016 when he clinched the three major titles, he was at least as good as, if not better than, Momota in that ability.

Cheung likes this.
  5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Allow me to elucidate a little further, the ability to play long rallies with a high degree of consistency and accuracy stroke after stroke, that is, multiple quality shots better than most players is the hallmark of all the top players, their defining characteristic.

While I regard Chen Long and Momota at their best as about equal in that respect, I do think Momota is the smarter player in terms of better reading and anticipation of the opponent's game (so too LCW and Lin Dan vis-a-vis CL) whereas Chen Long is clearly superior in physicality,very athletic and agile, his main advantage over his rivals, in my opinion.

Actually, with such a physicality as well as amazing defensive skills and retrieving ability when he's on top of the game, I felt he can afford not to construct his rallies too much against most of the players, but, instead, try to seize the initiative more often and go on the offensive as much as possible, including counterattacking after a successful defence, as long as the situation permits , rather than playing safe and starting the rally all over again (as Mohan rightly suggested, which I agree).

In other words, I'd much prefer to see him play a bit more aggressively and be more proactive than defensive, passive or , worse, reactive most of the time. And , why not, as he really has the physicality and ability to do so.

I'm afraid if he doesn't make his move now and maximize his capability, a few years down the road, assuming he's prolonging his career, age will finally catch up with him and his physicality start to go downhill perceptibly. By then he can consider transforming into another stroke rallying exponent playing a controlled game a la Lin Dan in recent years, though, personally, I'm skeptical of his ability to do well in that capacity.

Frankly, I recall that a few years ago, Morten Frost once predicted that Chen Long's reign at the top should be a long one as both Lin Dan and LCW are getting on in years and, just as importantly, he has a remarkable physique as well as amazing retrieving ability, something to this effect (as I don't remember his exact words), a view I agreed with. And,I hasten to add, it's also partly because Chen Long's three consecutive major titles were won at the expense of The Mighty Lee Chong Wei, no less, without doubt a phenomenal feat.

I mean, had Chen Long beaten some lesser opponent(s) than LCW during his best years, I might not be so impressed by his performance that I still think he is capable of having another go at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. That's just my opinion.

rhoder likes this.
  6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2019-04-06/doc-ihvhiewr3656464.shtml

Just want to translate the part where Chen Long explained to the reporter at the MAS Open post-match interview today (6th April'19) why he didn't perform well at the European Tour, where at the All England he was knocked out by Rasmus Gemke in R1 and at the following Swiss Open, he was stopped by Sai Praneeth in the semifinals. (Note that at the INA Masters before it, he actually defeated Sa Praneeth in the opening ground).

Chen Long revealed to Sina Sports the reason for his lackluster performance at the two European stops, namely, the All England and the Swiss Open:" I value the opportunity to play until the crucial stage (of the MAS Open), after all, my performance in the two European tournaments was affected by illness. I myself was unhappy about it."

CLELY likes this.
  7. arvnto

arvnto New Member

8. arvnto

arvnto New Member

9. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Good points. Agree with all of them. I always thought Chen Long underutilised his height somewhat in offensive play. He doesn’t quite utilise it to intercept clears or create angles in the same way Axelsen does to devastating effect (granted, Axelsen is slightly taller but they’re both still quite a bit taller than their main rivals). If he could just incorporate a little of that offense, he would be hard to beat.

But I do think that his playstyle and defensive attributes are correlated. It is partly because he plays so safe that he is rarely out of position and thus he is able to get to almost every shuttle (in addition to his excellent physique of course). If we were to encourage more initiative taking from him (and if he indeed does in the future), I think we would have to be prepared for his defensive attributes to decline at least slightly, something he may not be comfortable with at the moment. Momota as I see also has this mindset, a couple of times in the S’Pore final he tried to take the initiative to get the shuttle in a downward direction but got caught by Ginting’s crosscourt blocks and then he reverted to his defensive play.

10. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

What's next for Chen Long after Sudirman Cup failure?? @j4ckie

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

CLELY, Cheung, stanleyfm and 2 others like this.
  12. Curvy

Curvy Regular Member

Congrats to CL. While an unattractive player whom despite winning majors isnt a legend still, i felt that he has everything to be a legend particularly his physicality and defence. He will earn more fans trying to play more aggressive and attractive but so far he hasnt. Not sure if it is due to his motivation or personality.

stanleyfm and Justin L like this.
  13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Agree, his play-style doesn't appeal to many fans, rendering him the most under-appreciated and underrated multiple World and Olympic champion despite the fact that he beat the legendary LCW for the three major titles, no less.

Indeed, you're right - he is capable of a more aggressive game with his attacking prowess coupled with amazing defence, which he's exhibited but not often enough. I guess it's more to do with his personality, reminds me of the talented Bao Chunlai who just couldn't play like Lin Dan.

Curvy likes this.
  14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    He's not underrated.

He is a player with a very boring style of play.

GingerCorslette and CLELY like this.
  15. Curvy

Curvy Regular Member

It's a pity that he is being limited by his personality. Agree that he is boring but he does show glimpse of how offensive he can be. I guess has to do with the Chinese doctrine of playing safe. Nobody unless the super talented can get away with that. Think Chen Jin was one of those who started off aggressive in the juniors but trying perpetually to suppress himself in the senior circuit. But it still got him a World Champion ironically that LCW simply cudnt.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well, most people here praised LCW more than him.

Not only boring, uncreative, unexciting, and textbook-like generally, he is , in my opinion, not a very intelligent and thinking player, his reading of the game and hence anticipation are not as good as it should be despite his maturity and extensive knowledge and experience, perceptively not at the same level as Lin Dan and LCW or even Momota, Lee Hyun Il, Son Wan Ho and , I'd add, Chou Tien Chen.

It seems to me Chen Long has not been developing his game since Rio'16 and since then after taking a six-month break and resting on his laurels, he has yet to regain that pinnacle form. And, to make matters worse, he is still relying a bit too much on his remarkable physicality, athleticism and agility to deal with all his opponents.

I'm afraid, now that he is approaching his twilight years in badminton terms. if he carries on in the same vein, I'm quite doubtful he can reach the top again as his performance these two-three years has fallen short of expectations so far. In all probability, I'd go so far as to say this two years are his last and final chance to capture another major title before a definite decline brought about by 'old age' sets in, specifically due to age-related physical condition for which he would have to make up for the lack thereof by a high degree of knowledge and experience accumulated as well as the requisite talents.

In this regard, I honestly don't have much hope he can do well past 30 in comparison with Lin Dan and LCW. That's just my opinion.

Cheung likes this.
  17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Interestingly, Momota in one of his interviews (thanks to kurako for posting a translation) described what it's like playing Chen Long, like against a wall - to quote Momota's own words, "where, however much I hit or returned the shuttle, my opponent would throw it all back, as if he were a wall. I felt like giving in to him several times during the match,...".

Incidentally, Momota is the second person after Lee CW to feel that way playing Chen Long when he's at or near his best.

No wonder Li Mao expressly stated his intention to focus on Chen Long's preparation for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. That's as good as saying he thinks Chen Long is still champion material, a gold medal prospect. Let's see how it goes.

18. Neel Dhebar

Neel Dhebar Regular Member

I am an LD fan but seeing this thread I feel I must share my feelings about CL.

Boring? I have heard that from people but I find the way he plays to be amazing. Returning everything that comes at him, throwing himself around, it is really entertaining.

Lack of personality? He is extremely humble, compared to LD and LCW with their tendencies to fool around and show off when winning. It is also quite evident from many interviews, by way he speaks and praises other players.

This is just my opinion but I feel that he is already a legend.

19. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    Yes his humbleness is similar to Roger Federer. Your comment is so appropriate.

20. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Off all the Chinese players, I like CL. He shows his emotions when things are not going well and a true a sportsman with a warm smile.

Yesterday in his match against VA, a line was called out, near the end of third game, Chen challenged it immediately which he thought was clearly in. The way he gestured was something like ‘cmon that was clearly in, you must be joking’ hawk eye confirmed it was in. I liked it. No other Chinese player would do that, they seem a bit robotic. He is so much more likeable than the serious LD.

#1380 London_Player, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Saru, stradrider and Baddie lover like this.