"Cheating" rampant?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bigredlemon, Nov 9, 2002.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Since there's no linesmen during badminton games, players can get away with many questionable moves and calls.

I.e. Officially, a bird is in if it hits the line, right? (yes.) In my experience, a bird that hits the line gets called out by 95% of the people. Even shots that are within (but not touching) the white line by 2 or 3 inches gets called out 25% of the time. I can understand if it's an honest mistake, but I don't think it's a mistake. How come they never call it in your favour?? I think this kind of attitude of calling in your own favour whenever possible is rampant in badminton, even when playing casually.

High serves (at chest level) is another example.

I dont mind minor rule breaking (like stepping into a serve) but I think nearly every rule that could be broken IS being broken in almost every game I play, and that's the norm.

I know it's not just my current club. My old club had this problem too, and many people have expressed similar experiences.

Personally, I just presume I'm playing by an "unofficial" set of rules in which lines are drawn to far and the serve is limited to the chest height, etc etc. But since I try to follow the rules whenever possible, and err on the safe side, it always seem like the odds are against me. (You realize how much harder it is to serve backhand, legally!!?)

Ok i'm done ranting...

My question is, does rule-fudging bother you? Or do you just accept it as part of the game?

#1 bigredlemon, Nov 9, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2002
  2. Stalker

Stalker Regular Member

I am in the same situation! I am a conformist kinda guy. The rules are made for a reason and everyone should follow it regardless of what kind of play they are in!

3. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    i play at university level and that sort of cheating happens regularly - but we can't let it get to us - usually we end up putting team members at either end of the court to cheer us on tho :-D it's a great way to prevent those cheaters. serving is a problem tho. al lot of players at this level backhand serve because they think i'ts the best serve - most of them serve so illegally tho it's a joke. i've called faults before but been accused of unsportsmanlike conduct. I nearly quit playing that time - since then i've got my own back by making people look stupid by flicking them - it's gets all my tensions out

Neil

4. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    In my club I find that cheating hardly happens and if it does happen it is usually an honest mistake.

As for as I can tell, only in junior tournaments does cheating happen. If it ever happens to me in a close game, I won't hesitate to call for a line judge, service judge, scoring, etc. If I am clearly in control and winning the game, I usually won't bother on line calls, and as for service I will just advise them to lower the serve if it is illegal. Fortunately, I have only had to call for a service judge once, although in a final I had last year, the opposing team called two perfect serves out! Right in front of a ref we had asked to call service lines as well! :eek:

I think a couple times I have been accused, if not outwardly, of improper scorekeeping, because when they asked the score, I would tell them and they would have a confused, can-you-count? look on their face and ask if I was sure. I try to make a habit of calling score before each serve now, just to be on the safe side.

Phil

5. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Not so much with line calls, usually people are pretty good about it. If there is any further discussion with line calls, we usually just play the point over.

However, service, both backhand and forehand servicing rules are blatantly disregarded. People serve at chest height if not neck height sometime, on forehand serve, there are even people who would toss the shuttle up literally and strike it on their side so it is a flat drive serve. Services really bother me because the same people who violate these rules always thought they were doing me a favor by giving me service "advice". :eek:

6. bigredlemon

I'm not saying this is a big deal or anything. Unless I'm competing, I don't even keep track of the score. We just keep playing until they call "time" and we get kicked off the courts :p

If i was playing competitively, at least they would have a reason to play by the "fudged" rules. But even in casual play??? That's a little excessive.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Would it be called cheating if the person really didn't know their serve was a fault.?

i.e. unintentional

8. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    If the shuttle hit the line but no one saw it, did it really hit the line? :D

9. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I've already given my opinion about the serve in another post. Sometimes it's intentional, other times the server intends to make a legal serve and doesn't realize he/she has crossed over into an illegal serve, and some players simply don't know the rules. In all cases, it should be called to attention.

As for the line calls, it depends a lot on where you are on the court and what angle of sight you have to where the shuttle hits. Also, the color of the floor and whether it's a glossy or flat finish, and the color and width of the lines makes a difference.

10. bigredlemon

I've drawn a handy diagram for your reference pleasure.

Enjoy my elite graphic skills :D

Attached Files:

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think it depends on how "serious" the game is.

Typically, in a tourament, whether there's enough line judge and ref or not, most ppl did follow the rule. Otherwise, what's the point to have a tourament? It's a more competitive environment, and everyone will be treated equally to compete.

However, in more relaxed practice, or even "social playing time", a lot of ppl don't apply the rule very strickly, especially for serve.

Personally, I will judge my standard base on what type of game I am playing. If a serious game, I will try to be fair to myself and my opponent. I won't make wrong calls, unless I really can't see it very clearly. If just playing with friends, especially, ppl don't really good at badminton, I just try to let everyone relax. As long as not too obvious, I won't try to call every play / serve to interrupt the game.