Chats with players

Discussion in 'Super Series Master Finals 2008' started by pjswift, Dec 23, 2008.

1. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

First, let me just say the SSF was a roaring success.
    The badminton was superb; a true showcase of terrific skills...of power, speed and (my favourite) finesse.
    The crowd of 3000 was fantastic because they supported and cheered for both sides.That helped bring out the best from the players.More about that later.
    Because there's so much to cover, this report will have to be in instalments.This time because I finally wised up to the perks of staying in the official hotel, I had opportunities to meet and find out more about the players world.
    Thomas Laybourn
    Over breakfast,I asked him why Danes take so long to 'mature' and what his training schedule's like.He said except for PG and TR who are both paid rather well by their clubs,other Danes have to have a day job.(Lay has his own business so he has flexibility with his badminton.)Because of that, the Danes don't train fulltime like Asian players.He trains 4 hours a day; 2 before 'day job' and 2 after.Unlike Asians who probably put in 8 hours per day all in.Because skills take a threshold period to master, that's why Danes seem to take double the time.Thus what takes at least 3 years for Asian players to show, it will take Danes 6 years,since they train at half the intensity.Thus Danes will 'mature' as champion material after the age of 25. But it also means they can last longer since they punish their body less over time.That's why PG's equivalent age to an Asian player is probably 27 although he's 32.
    Candra Wijaya
    In the shuttle,he surprised me by thanking me for supporting him and Tony during their matches.(I was so relentlessly vocal in cheering them after they lost their G1 to HS/MK in a flash.Maybe that's why he could match the cheering voice to the speaking voice but wow, he's got good hearing sense.)He said it helps fire them up when they have support from the crowd even if it's a lone voice.Candra's a very busy man.He has his own business and also he's involved in the Japan league.He said there are hundreds of badminton clubs in Japan and for the league, there's no prize money for the champion but prestige and pride.I asked him about his fitness regime and that's when he sounded sheepish.Well, Candra works out once or twice in the gym for an hour or so,when he has the time.Which means he probably doesn't.
    LCW
    Queueing for the fried noodle,I mentioned that he should dump his habit of getting sidetracked by poor line calls.Line judges get so mesmerised by his badminton,they sometimes forget they have a job to do on the court that's why his matches usually have some line call problems, I suggested.He laughed at the rationale which is good because it'll help him remember. He has enough insurance for 2 or 3 poor calls if he stays focused but none if he wastes time and energy on this distraction.I spoke to coach Teh on this for double effect.LCW only needs to correct 1 or 2 of his non-badminton aspects and he will be unbeatable.All these problems are within his control so it's easy to solve.There is another aspect which I will not mention here which LCW rectified and I was amazed how that little change can make such a big difference in his matches against TH and PG.(Please note I'm not trying to claim credit here)
    Chan Yan Kit
    I was delighted he defeated WCH and took a game off LCW because this will give him self belief and boost his confidence.It was such a coincidence that both fastdrop and I(seated at opposite ends) cheered for him.We felt he has the shots to play well but lack the belief to do so.The thing about CYK is he does not need to be supported throughout the whole match to work its effect.One little nudge was all he needed to make a positive change to his play.I only cheered for him a couple of times when he was falling apart in G2 against PG and he started galloping.In his match against WCH,feeling good from being able to give PG a challenge,all it took was a bit of crowd encouragement and he went all the way.(WCH was let down by the MAS crowd.Because WCH did not play enough winners to lift the MAS crowd, the 'boleh spirit' in MAS fans just died and they did not know they were supposed to support their player to fire him up.That's why MAS fans can help lose the match for their players.)
    Defeating WCH emboldened CYK to play so well he took 1 game off the World No 1 in his third match.
    When I congratulated him for his splendid badminton, he was rather shy about it.SSF could prove to be a turning point for CYK and I expect him to create a few upsets in 2009.
    Saina Nehwal
    Saina's so articulate she should be the spokesperson for badminton players.I mentioned that she came across faster and more powerful compared to when I first saw her play.How did she do it?
    'Well, first I lost weight by working out in the gym.I do a lot of running because WS is a lot of running.'Losing weight means energy is fully used for badminton and none wasted lugging excess luggage around.(Something for CEH to think about.) No wonder I thought she has also grown taller.Not only that,with each tournament, she surprises with distinct progress.She said her coach would work with her on her weakness revealed in each tournament so that it's fixed before the next one.
    Saina's gonna be the most dangerous WS because her opponents won't know what else she has packed until they meet her in court.

2. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    wah...so envy kak pj

3. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Nice stuff, pjswft. :)

4. cheeyf

cheeyf Regular Member

wow.cool u can chat with players.i wish i can too but i dono what to say if i meet them.hehe

5. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

It's easy. You just chat to them like you are friends.They are people just like you and me.We are all gifted in our own way.The difference is they are gifted in a way that can be on display.

6. cheeyf

cheeyf Regular Member

alrite i will chat w them like friends when i meet them in mo.hehe.btw ,pjswift ru coming to MO?

7. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Sorry, not this MO ,maybe 2010. But our new friends from Miri,Michelle and Melanie will be there. Michelle's a former Sarawak state player and looks like XXF but with the right hairstyle.

8. cheeyf

cheeyf Regular Member

oh,ok.wah,wanna play with u all if got chance.but i x play well lo.hehe.hope to c Michelle n Melanie there.merry xmas

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Cool..

...pjswift, glad you had those opportunities & appreciate for sharing those with us..:cool:

10. yourbestfriend

yourbestfriend Regular Member

you should have asked the players reactions to team china withdrawing from the tourney.

11. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    If I may say so, from a fan's perspective, that question is not worth asking. If we were the media, that would be a different matter.

When we talk to players, we prefer to ask feedback on their training approach, preparations for the finals and analysis of previous games. Not about players who don't show up.

The players are generally appreciative of the attention (without requiring us to become stalkers). Esp European based players who do not get as much attention at home.

Also got to talk to the coaches, Tan Kim Her, Pang and Hendrawan.

Fastdrop went out of his way to congratulate Rexy via SMS after Koo/Tan won the title, and Rexy replied almost immediately from UK.

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It's really great that the first SSF was eventually held

pjswift ... Thank you for sharing. :):):)

It's really great that the first SSF was eventually held and it turned out to be a success. We can only envy you BCers who could be there, to watch and to chat with players.

IMHO, this SSF was a happy one. We could see participating players were there not only to win, but also to enjoy themselves. And because of this, it's found an atmosphere of not only excitement, but also friendliness.

As you said, when you crowd supported and cheered for both sides, it helped to bring out the best from the players. So, well done to you crowd.

And KK, host of the SSF, ought to be congratulated for making this tournament possible.

:):):)

13. smashmouth

smashmouth Regular Member

banker
    pjswift,

This is the kind of post that i look forward to reading. It's nice to get feedback from the players themselves and to somehow get to know how they really are outside the court and what they're thinking. Thanks for the great article.