Charging up when smashing

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by KazeCloud, Apr 16, 2009.

1. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    This sounds like a beginners question on how to smash faster but it is a bit different. I have always strive for better technique and understanding, and when the player I was rallying with said that if you pull down and sort of charged up before you smash it will be more powerful I was a bit skeptical. It is like bending at the waist onto our racket foot, then swinging forward. I was very skeptical about this, and it sounded to me like this technique was just thought up by beginners because it would look like it would be more powerful. However, I tried it anyways and thought, even if this small technique worked, I won't fully utilize or see a faster smash on the first try. To my surprise, the two or three shots I did with this bending of the waist and charging up gave me surprisingly fast as well as steep smashes! I have never seen this technique taught, I usually stand a bit straighter. Some comments would be nice. Thanks for reading.

#1 KazeCloud, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  2. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    this doesnt seem like youre "charging up" your smash, it sounds mor eliek you are giving yourself more time to anticipate exactly where the bird is coming and when is the bets time to hit it. If you give your brain more time to analyze the shot then of course better mechanics and better timing and more muscles can all be used - which is where the faster smash comes from.
    this is also what seperates pros from amateurs - the amount of time they need to correctly anticipate and prepare to use their entire body/maxpower for a shot.

if you need an example of a pro doing this "charging up" kind of smash, just search youtube for taufik's MS world record smash, he immediately got himself under the shot and gave himself a lot of time to prepare - something that isnt usually seen in pro games.

3. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    The key to hard smashes is your feet, the stronger your foundation, the more energy you can transfer to the bird. Even with jump smashes, jumping from a strong, balanced position enables you to more efficiently make contact with the bird. Use the ground as the source of your power.

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

so are we talking about a dragon-ball style charge-up here?

5. Genesis

Genesis Regular Member

Student, Research
    By charging up (bending at the waist onto our racket foot, then swinging forward), you add in your body weight into your smash and hence your power does increase. Its more common among females because they don't have the same arm power that men have.

6. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    You're just giving yourself more time to perform the shot, and ready your balance so you can put max power into the smash. There's no "supercharging" involved, you're just balancing yourself and preparing to hit the stroke.

7. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

shifting of weight and 'throwing your weight behind the shot' is the thing this whole complicated movement is all about. much like a scissor jump. except the jum

8. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

Don't you guys do this anyway? I once got disqualified from a match because when i charge up the lightening that is caused distracted my opponents, and because i went from normal to super sayain 1 then 2 i caused this two times, the second time i got carded... :(

lol anyway i was watching a video and i think it decribes what your talking about (not dragon ball z though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QlW8_PdYbw&feature=channel_page

at 1:26 they go into a shot breakdown, here it shows what you describe, the loading of weight onto the racket foot... hope this helps