Changing strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Ketan Patil, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Ketan Patil

Ketan Patil Regular Member

When should I change the strings?
    What are the signs that indicate that the strings are going to snap/should be changed?

2. llrr

llrr Regular Member

You should change strings whenever based on any number of factors:

1. Cost - if cost matters change when it snaps. If cost doesn't matter then:
    2. Noticeable difference in performance compared to when it's new or
    3. String fraying around the sweet spot which signifies that it'll snap soon or
    4. You're trying a new string/tension and don't like it or
    5. You like changing strings for fun

3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

For me:
    1. When i feel like the string feel so dead & ofcourse money talk. Most likely i will cut it after 2-4 month if it doesnt snap itself. The longest is 8 month just want to know how long it survive but couldnt bear the feel & cut it myself.
    2. When im about to get a competition. Well i want the best performance & want to avoid unecesery snap when im in games.

4. Ketan Patil

If I change the strings which strings would be the best if I am looking for power and durability?

5. Budi

Budi Regular Member

its something you need to experiment yourself.
    Same as racket, it feel different from one person to others.
    Some like soft feeling, while some others like hard feeling.
    & actually if you had good consistency on hitting the sweet spot, thin string will survive longer. I play with 0.66 string, from BG66UM, LN1, & now VBS66N. It survive quite long (more than 2 month for sure) compare to old myself that 1 strong smash that hit near the frame would snap my fresh string right away.
    Btw the 8 month i mention is using LN1.

6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Choose one. You are asking for something with opposing attributes. Thick strings tend to be more durable, but are not as elastic, which result in less power due less repulsion. If you choose a thinner string you will have good repulsion which normally means more power, but the durability becomes shorter. You need to find your acceptable balance and look first for any 0.68 string.

I would be careful with mentioning durability in month for any string and tension. Most of use use here a different stringer, different tension and play under different circumstance like weather, frequency and shuttles. Some tend to rotate rackets, use some rackets less or more etc. This can effect any time-related value. I beg you and any other to stop spreading such numbers, or state tension, frequency of play, rotation of playing rackets, type of shuttles and climate to give a honest impression. Even I who have a tracking history over years from around 50 clients can say that any string at a tension of 22lbs is done after 3 month max, if you play 3 times per week/ 6 hours per week with only one racket. More precision is impossible because other factors play a too huge influence.

Ouchie and Cheung like this.
  7. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Sorry if i might risk for misguide the others:oops:
    But my point is having better consistency on hitting sweet spot would less straining our string thus resulting longer snapping periode. This is not mean for the string life expectacy but rather the string snap coz of bad technique which makes it looks like thin string have very very short life. Its definitely shorter than thicker string but its way more shorter due to bad hit.:D
    My bad for being unclear...:p

8. Ketan Patil

Thanks for helping me out!

9. Ketan Patil

How was the LN 1?
    Like durability, power, control etc.
    General question for everyone?
    Plz tell the no. of months it lasted for the one who is answering personally.

10. Budi

Budi Regular Member

compare LN1 to BG66UM, LN1 is abit more slippery so slicing is not quite good with it. Repulsion is kinda similar, but durability wise, LN1 is more durable to me. BG66UM snap itself most of the time while LN1, i always cut it myself. & lastly, feeling. BG66UM die faster than LN1 & as BG66UM is quite expensive nowdays, so LN1 is good replacement if your style not involve slicing alot.

My regular time is 2-4 month to restring when it snaping itself or i cut myself. My play time is 1 times weekly routine & another 1 times weekly when i could get off work on time which is not always but at least 2-3 times a month. & another random days but not consider playing as i play just for having fun gathering with friend & all (alot of beginner here, just fun stroke).
    But again to remind, it cant be used for parameter of how long a string last. My point on my 1st post here is about hitting consistency. Having bad consistency kill your string faster & thin string prone to snap easily on miss hit. Like i said before, my yesterday fresh strung snap right away on my 1st session with powerfull hulk smash hitting near the frame.

#10 Budi, Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  11. Ketan Patil

Which is the most durable string and how many months would it last for you?

12. Budi

Budi Regular Member

couldnt say as when im still hitting like crap & miss hit alot, even thicker string would snap after sometimes. But its some quite long time ago that i couldnt remember.
    Thicker string tend to be more durable & less prone to snap on miss hit but it not much repulsive which can be said less power.
    But if you insist, like what i said above, LN1 survive 8 month, but its totally feel dead. No repulsion & no amazing BOOM sound when smashing.

In conclusion, i could say like this.
    1. If you kinda strict with money & couldnt afford stringing often, then get thicker string. For me its about every 2-4 month. Its both when it snap itself or i will cut it myself on the 3rd or 4th month depend on money & time to bring my racket to my regular stringer.
    2. If you unsure with your consistency, try with 0.69 string for a while. Some little tips to know your consistency. Get 3 color whiteboard marker. Draw your stringbed with all 3. Dont draw cute bunny on it:p but draw small circle in the middle, then with other color, draw bigger circle in the mid area, & last with different color again draw the outer area. Play as usual & at the end of games, see what color is on the shuttle ball.
    3. Even if it survive like eternity, seriously the feeling is very very terible. Like the string already lose its soul & it just corpse what left on it. Unless if you just play for fun & not much care for performance, it will be ok to use a dead string. If not, after few month, you would want to cut it yourself even if its not snapping.
    4. How you treat your racket? Picking a shuttle on the ground with racket is ok but keep in mind sometimes it also scratch your string if not done carefully.
    5. Have you ever check your grommet? Broken grommet would makes your string directly touching the frame carbon body that is sharp & posibbly harm your string. I know a good stringer would check this & change the broken one when they see it, but not all like that. Sometimes you would want to ask for it to be checked & tell it ok to pay little extra for this job. Afterall its our racket, when the string snap coz of broken grommet, we buy another string & you couldnt even blame the lazy stringer right.

13. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I really doubt that no.1 or any other string survive 8 month with continues useage at a serious male tension of >22lbs.

As said before the court time is a more precise value.

I got 3 years with BG65TI at 31lbs. That the racket was digged deep in my closet and got maybe 2 hours on court max is an important note. Hope you get it how I mean it.

The thinner version of No.1 (black package) lasted for me around 6-8 hours on court at 30lbs until it broke. Atm I went through the thicker version of No.1 from a reel in 25 hours on court until it feels dead and was notched. I play only feather shuttles, my racket have always grommets in good condition and I'm somebody who hit very consistent. I mostly play/train in decent halls which don't get cold during winter. As said before performance and durability are inpossible to achieve at the same time. PERIOD. My advice to OP: Go out and let your racket strung at 22lbs with BG80 power or No.1. Your durability will always be different than ours.

#13 ucantseeme, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  14. Ketan Patil

Is there any string that will last at least 1 year? :rolleyes:

15. Budi

Budi Regular Member

yes. Its called iron wire, it will last 3 years. Seriously, have you ever read all above post. Even if it last 1 year, the performance is totaly dead & im pretty sure you would come back here asking why my stroke getting bad, my smash become weak & all. Unless ofcourse you just play for happy fun stroke exchange with family/girlfriend/joking with friend then, even a iron wire wont feel dead for you.

Ketan Patil likes this.
  16. Ketan Patil

I know that but my father won't allow stringing frequently until my coach tells him but I won't get a coach until next year April since I have my board exams.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I would say forget about power. It’s lower on the priorities list. I would pick technique over power.

You need durability first because of the financial situation. You don’t have the finances for frequent change of thin strings.

It’s BG65 for you. Should last three months if you are playing once or twice a week.

How often do you play and for how long?

18. Ketan Patil

I play everyday. :( 2-4 hours

19. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    If you seek for ultimate durability go for Zymax 69 Fire or Li ning No.7 or BG65 and string it at very low tension like 18-19lbs.

I also suggest to cut down playing a bit to 3-4 times per week for quality games. So you can get to April with one stringing job.

20. Ketan Patil

What if I string it at 24 lbs?