Challengers etc in the UK....

Discussion in 'UK' started by Matt Ross, Aug 12, 2002.

1. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I've made the latest baofe events calender available on my site for you UK players since the baofe often doesn't update until the season has started

www.devonbadminton.co.uk/cal2003.htm

It lists the elite series which replaces the grand slams next year.

2. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

Thanks dlp

Has the handbook been printed already or do you have inside information?

3. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    It hasn't got to me yet but I do have the latest provisional calender , anything else you want to know about slanter I'll try and find out;)

4. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi all,

How many of you are firstly, going to play in some of the satellites and secondly, whose going to play Herts open? I hope to see some of you there for a little chin wag :)

Matt

5. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

I will be there. Have to improve on the pants mens result from last season. Hope to do better in the mixed too, had to play the losing finalists in the second round last season. Wear something obvious and then I can make up my mind if I like the look of you and want to talk to you!:D

6. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Slanter,

I'll be the one with the blue top with 'ESSEX' written on the black with white writing, wearing red shorts. I'll prob change throughout the day to my Karakal stuff, but that will be the main top i wear. I'll talk to ya whether u like it or not! :p :)

Matt

7. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    If you two have to play each other I'll settle any disputes lol;)

( I hope to be there in a coaching capacity!) Also UK players get to the Cornwall open, theres a plate event which is rare !

8. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Details fo the three elite series events which replace the grand slam are on beofe site under events/elite. Basically looks exactly same as grand slam, just a different name!!!!!!!!!!

9. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

You sound surprised, dlp?

10. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I guess I'm not really surprised. I just didn't see the point in announcing that the grand slams would be replaced and apparantly its just the same thing as we had couple years ago, 3 events and a circuit final. :confused:

Only about 8 weeks to the season now guys ;) hope you're all training!

11. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Entry forms for Herts, Bournmouth and Cornwall are on baofe site, unfortunately they still haven't got the calender up!!!!

12. seanrachy

seanrachy Regular Member

Technical Analyst
    More Tournaments

Also dont forget that the WBU are currently organising a Welsh Senior Series. It would be great to see some players from England/Scotland entering some of the legs.

If you are interested in the series then contact Lyndon Williams at the WBU.

13. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

Don't forget that you can get a tournament diary by sending an A5 SAE to the BAofE. Admitedly they haven't sent mine through yet but I have no reason to doubt they will. The events management have been particularly efficient so far this season, they have sent through a provisional timetable for both the Satellite and the Challenger series and have included entry forms into both the Wimbledon Challenger and the Elite tournament.

I am actually quite impressed, and those of you who have followed my musings on the competency of the BAofE staff in the past know how much admitting that costs me. Even though it is only somethig as simple as creating a mailing list from their ranking list and their member details it probably involved more than one person who knew what they are doing. Things have definately improved. The real test will be for them to publish the details of future tournaments on the websie before the entry date has elapsed and keeping the rankings list nominally up-to-date. They wil probably have to initiate a five year plan to accomplish that!

14. seanrachy

seanrachy Regular Member

Technical Analyst
    Herts Satellite (UK)

So how did you all go in the above tournament ?

15. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

Lost in the second round. Good game, should have won, but didn't. Things will have to get a great deal better before Wimbledon. Anyone else out there play Herts?

16. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    Lancashire Open

well the lancashire open was this weekend, and with it being my local satellite i thought i'd give it a shot...

got a bad draw - drawn against the 1st seed Matthew Shuker - who is red hot at the moment - lost to 0 and 1. was an experience playing against somebody of that level tho.. From what i saw Matt would have gone on to win the final against Alan Clarkson - both of these players being far better than the rest of the entries. Altho i didn't enter the doubles it looked a lot more interesting with Phil Freeman and Martin Tullit taking out 2nd seeds Alex marrit and Joel Parsons, but as a result of this marathon losing to Gert Kunka and Lewis Halsey. On the other side of draw Julian Priestley and Phil Price looked to be making easy work of their side of the draw until they bumed into first seeds Alan Clarkson and Alex Hird. My guess is that the final would be clarkson and hird vs Kunka / Halsey, depending on how Kunka's ankle holds after picking up an injury in the singles. Providing Kunka is fit i think they will take the semi against Davenport and Simon Taylor...

anybody care to fill the rest of the results in...

cheers,
    Neil

17. other

other Regular Member

Student
    heh....i guess i'm just too lazy to look it up in the BAoE website. What's a satellite competition, an open and what kind of people enter. Are they senior county players, former national/internationals, age ranges?

i don't really understand the structure of UK badmiton competitions:)

18. woop.

woop. Regular Member

The mighty Zimbie72 and I are hoping to partake in some satellite tournies next season. We're no spring chickens with visions of playing at national level, just very enthusiastic about our badders and committed to being as good as we can be.

Similarly it would be beneficial to know how good the competition is at this level of tournament. At least then we can decide whether we are in a realisitic position to enter come the new season. We don't mind getting beaten at all, but if we are going to be ridiculously outclassed it would seem a little pointless.

Any info gratefully appreciated.

19. Zimbie72

Zimbie72 Regular Member

Who . . . . . me? ;)