CELCOM AXIATA Malaysia Open 2017 - Semi Finals

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

How many WS players didn't win the WC/OG, are they all failures ? Didn't LXR win the LOG in her maiden attempt at age 21, not to mention in two WC finals, been ranked WR1 for quite a while and winning many prestigious titles ?

2. volcom

volcom Regular Member

LYD retired at the right time he couldnt even beat the 2nd rate Goh and Tan.
    The new masters are in town.
    Surpassing even MA/HS.

3. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

So is there any reason we know of why the Men Singles wasn't the main event?

4. R4yZ0r

R4yZ0r Regular Member

Student
    DREAM FINAL!!!!
    :D:D:D

5. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

H2H 11-24 in favour of LD

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You should say this to LCW.

To me, he is one of the all-time greats despite not having won a single WC/OG, an anomaly perhaps.

7. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

I think this is:
    #2017马来西亚羽毛球公开赛#决赛日将从13点开始,其中郑思维和黄雅琼都是一日双赛。重头戏虽然是林李大战,但其他四场的对决也颇具看点。明天见!

8. lisa bitch hannigan

lisa bitch hannigan Regular Member

to every badminton player

and also i don't think li is overrated too

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

LCW has been playing the same style of badminton, just as formidable and deadly as ever, whereas Lin Dan has transformed into a different kind of player, no longer the Super Dan we know. Lin Dan's new game is one the master stroke player,Lee Hyun Il, would applaud without hesitation.

Still it's a Dream Final whenever these two super maestros meet as we can expect badminton of the highest order of magnitude on display.

10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    LXR was good not simply because she won gold in London 2012; it was her 30 back-to-back wins, qualifying for the London Olympics and then actually winning it in London, which made her rise unprecedented.

11. lisa bitch hannigan

lisa bitch hannigan Regular Member

lin dan has never won a malaysia ss. Hope it's a motivation to fight

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Exactly, all at one go, sweeping all before her from beginning to end in the year 2012 and practically at the start of her young professional career at age 21, unstoppable and , as you say, unprecedented for WS badminton. Veritably a fairy tale come true that how many people can only dream of in their lifetime.

It will be such a shame if her career just ends like that owing to injury. She is so talented and still relatively young at age 26 now, the more so when we think of how Zhang Ning played her best badminton after age 26 and went on to win two Olympic golds, one in 2004 Athens at 29 and the other in 2008 Beijing at 33.

#372 Justin L, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  13. GingerCorslette

And what would that mean? :)

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    It was LXR who pushed women's singles up to new level. She introduced techniques from women's doubles (eg, drive) and from men's singles (eg, Taufik's backhand smash) into women's singles.

Everyone else (eg, RI, Marin) simply copied LXR.

15. GingerCorslette

Lee Chong Wei is finally over the Lin Dan 'trauma'. As we all know there was this long period where LCW would seem untouchable, yet for some strange reason would crumble against LD in the big stage. In the back of his mind, LCW thought of LD specifically as the entity who prevented him winning major titles: Asian Games, World Championships, and especially the Olympics. (Putting aside CL stuff for a moment)

That's why I've never seen him as happy as when he beat LD in Rio. He beat LD two separate occasions prior, China 2015 and BAC 2016, but it wasn't as sweet. Although he would eventually again settle for silver, that SF victory in Rio has got him over this mental thing with LD - i.e. LD no longer poses as a threat to him winning this final, which he may very well treat as a pseudo-major title.

This and the fact that Lin Dan isn't as fit could give LCW the edge at the final tomorrow.

16. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

I don't think so. I have seen many people doing that before. If that was the case, she should have won carolina marin in the last 3 meetings, but she did not. She is one of the olympics gold medallist. That will be in her resume.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Fu Haifeng/Zheng Siwei is a scratch pairing formed by two players a generation or two apart in badminton terms. One is Fu Haifeng who is recalled back from retirement to prepare and help Team CHN for the upcoming Sudirman Cup campaign; the other is a 20-year-old youngster, a rising star but still somewhat raw and inexperienced, no doubt highly talented.

But the two as a pair has yet to build the rapport and develop the mutual understanding needed to establish them as a top-notch MD partnership. Therefore I am pleasantly surprised they have progressed to the finals of a Premier Super Series, a commendable feat, but, to be realistic, I don't think they are able to overcome the INA Gideon/Sukamuljo, the current top MD pair, at this time.

As I understand it, Fu Haifeng is back specially for the Sudirman Cup after which he has expressed intention to retire, which means this partnership with Zheng Siwei is only temporary, unfortunately.

18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    The field wasn't that strong then. Totally different from the current state. That's why you see different players dominate at different intervals.

I can't see her coming back and be at the top again and I think she knows this too.

19. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

Google is your friend :/
    It says Zheng Siwei and Huang YQ have 2 finals to play each, can't put their matches too close it would put them in disadvantage position. Less rest. Thats why MS at 3rd in order of play. :xD

GingerCorslette likes this.
  20. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

You don't know LD. He wouldn't have gone this far if he hasn't something up his sleeve. I think he's ready.