Carpal tunnel

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Magwitch, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

It's looking likely I have carpal tunnel, and I'm going to have it checked out. I saw this advice online about carpal tunnel:

'Relax your grip and use less force. If you play racquet sports, a larger grip with padding will reduce stress and shock to your hand and wrist.'

Presumably I'll have to have some break from playing, but assuming I have carpal tunnel just wondered if badminton players can make modifications to their grip when recovering from it?

2. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

I have no knowledge of anything badminton specific, but if you spend a significant amount of time behind a computer(or even a short amount of time), there are computer mice that have a shape that alleviates carpel tunnel. In the past, getting one of those was the linchpin of my recovery. However, be aware that it takes the required effort of using the mouse off your forearm and puts it on your shoulder instead. It didn't cause problems for me, but it was noticeable.

So if prolonged computer use is the cause, it will most likely cure it. If badminton is the cause, I unfortunately have no idea other than what you would do for any overuse injury. I would still consider getting a mouse like that simply because using a normal one aggravates carpel tunnel, even if it wasn't the cause to begin with.

3. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

I do spend a lot of time behind a computer, though there hasn't been an increase recently. This and badminton no doubt played a part, though I can see things I've done recently to make it worse. Changing the computer set up is certainly a good idea.

4. baddiechan

baddiechan Regular Member

I've gone through a similar thing for a few months, it wasn't check out by a professional as Carpal Tunnel. I did have pain in the wrist when playing badminton and more obvious was when using the computer and resting the forearm on the desk.

The pain has gone away now, there are a few things I did to treat it:
    1. Stretch between the palm and forearm, here's a video for a few

2. Strengthen the forearm muscles - I used a grip trainer and did a few reps every day
    3. Take glucosamine sulfate + chrondroitin supplement - there's mixed results scientifically on if it helps joints but from my personal experience they work great.

Don't modify your grip position if you've already got comfortable. Loosening it as you mentioned would be correct, you only need to tighten grip when you hit.

Also I did take a rest from badminton/not smash as often. Hope this helps, if there's no improvement check with a medical professional.

5. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

Thanks @baddiechan. I had an electrical nerve conduction test done, which ruled out carpal tunnel or nerve issues. A physio found I have tennis elbow today. I had originally thought I had both, but my knowledge of the symptoms of both was poor.