Carolina Marin: Spain

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by scuInd78, Nov 23, 2011.

1. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Successful come back for Carolina Marin after her ACL injury. 8 months later she is winning the China Open in a 3 setter final against TTY.

I'm impressed by her resilience. That was a career threatening injury and to come back at this level right away is very surprising considering most athletes with such an injury do not always come back to their previous level or at least not that quickly.

2. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

A well deserved victory for Marin. And what a wonderful comeback. I was doubting whether she could play at the same level she did before her injury but in this tournament, she was playing at least her best level, if not better.

Having said that, I wonder why her coaches gave her the go ahead to play 100%. She just returned from an injury so I thought her coaches would have told her to play 80% or perhaps at most, 90%, to protect her from a possible reinjury. I think the priority for Carolina is to keep herself healthy and free from injury, and then do her usual focused preparation before the 2020 Olympics. Honestly, if Carolina wins a few SS here and there before the Olympics, that's not such a big deal. But if she wins the next Olympics, she may well go down as the most successful woman's player in WS ever.

Cheung and rhoder like this.
  3. minions

minions Regular Member

Crazy! CM truly comes back with a BANG! In her first big tournament after her long layoff, she immediately defend her title. What's more satisfying is that she beat TTY, who will be back to WR1. It will become more difficult to stop her.

4. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

it's been so long, marin. Speed of a cheetah, strength of a tiger, scream of a lion and the healing factor of tom the cat

[​IMG]

got injured. Lie down in the court and cry. Learn to walk again. Rise up and back to court. Lie down to the court again but cry in happiness

[​IMG]

5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That was some kind of next-level WS game that she has shown these days. I can't recall seeing such a powerful, fast and attacking style from any other WS player these days. Maybe except the PVS we saw in Basel.

What she and her team have achieved during her recovery phase is mindblowing and sets a new benchmark in that regard imo.

And mark my words, if she stays healthy, she is going to win another gold medal in Tokyo (the TTY fan inside me will be crying himself to sleep...).

#645 s_mair, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Michael V, LenaicM and rhoder like this.
  6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

7. vozer here

if ms play first and if tai understand english. Marin may ask her to change shirts and we will have a bodybuilding show

8. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

The pace at which Marin plays with is incredible. No one on tour feels natural playing at her pace. Has there been anyone in the history of WS that plays as offensively as her?

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Amazing! Incredibly ferocious comeback victory over TTY at China Open final.

If we look up the definition of resilience and mental strength, I'm pretty sure Marin's picture would be in it. That took a lot of grit to play throughout such a high level tournament without wearing any knee support at all since her knee injury some 9 months ago. Perhaps it looks like the injury may not have been as severe as a complete ruptured ACL tendon requiring tendon transfer. And so only minor damage was incurred to the tendon and meniscus requiring only a minor surgery from which she could recover as quick as she did. (Because no way she could have played like that only 9 months post ACL repair... look at players like LXR and WX.) But still, this tournament really shows that she's back in full form.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

#649 visor, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Justin L and LenaicM like this.
  10. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

The story behind CM's amazing comeback in video:

Cheung and galaxyduo like this.
  11. minions

minions Regular Member

Wow! CM is slated to meet TTY in R1 Fuzhou China Open. She never has any easy draw post-comeback. But, if she keeps her form, she can go further. It's the seeded WS players that need to watch out.

12. vozer here

Seeded meet temporary non-seeded at first round is always bad luck for both but worse for seeded

Chance for a temporary non-seeded to meet a seeded is 8/31=25,8℅

The other way around (ususally there're none to just 1 temporary non-seeded), the chance is 1/24= 4,2%

Bwf only streaming since day 2 (bottom half play) so im afraid it will be hard to find the link

13. vozer here

marin 2019 compare to marin 2015 (her most dominating year):
    _15 still faster
    _19 is stronger with more muscle
    _19 has better defense (started improving since late 2017)
    _19 is more patience to deal with long rallies
    _when b close to win, leading a a huge gap. Both need to show the different kind of mental toughness
    +a never give, fight til the end, try to make a comeback: marin is always good at this
    +b not choked, stay calm and finish the game. 15 is touch but 19 is more fraglie at the end. Well, she has much more to lose than before: [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

#653 vozer here, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  14. vozer here

15. Bkmz

Bkmz Regular Member

New racket for 2020 season? Looks badass, what's the model?)

16. whatAHassle

whatAHassle Regular Member

I would be interested in knowing what Fernando Rivas said to her in the interval between the 2nd and 3rd game today and also the interval in the 3rd game

17. vozer here

me too

steen said its sound more abt mental than tactics. Maybe it was, just like rio final, 8:00

18. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    "let the kid win. it'll be good for the sport..." :D:D:D

19. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Currently, Marin is ranked 10th in the world with only 8 tournaments. INSANE.

samkool likes this.
  20. visor

visor Regular Member

Protected ranking.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk