Canadian Open GP 2011

Discussion in 'Russian / US / Canadian / Vietnam Open 2011' started by madbad, Apr 11, 2011.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i don't think so either. from the match today, TH was mostly just playing around and while credit to WWK for working hard, he put in much more effort than TH did.

2. green_day

green_day Regular Member

Hi all. This is my viewpoint of the tournament thus far:

Taufik - After watching several games from Taufik, my impression is that he doesn't put in 100% against a weaker opponent until the score is past 15 points for the first set (or even second set if he takes the first set). Against Takuma Ueda yesterday, Taufik wasn't really smashing hard until the score got past 15. Then Taufik started smashing and playing more intensely to finish the set. I suppose this is his way of saving stamina for the tournament.

Wing Ki Wong - I missed his match against Taufik today. But I did see his match against Kevin Cordon. WKW is a very agressive player - to the point where I think it goes against him. WKW kept hitting smashes that put himself in a bad position against Kevin. Kevin's defense was decent and Kevin won multiple points against WKW's smash. Fortunately, WKW has very good footwork which allows him to recover from his agressive play but he cannot do this against the top tier players (ie. LCW) because he will just gift them free points and waste energy.

Tian Houwei - This kid has lots of potential. He took Taufik to two close games. I noticed that Tian Houwei has also beaten Tommy Sugiarto. If Tian Houwei's progress continues, I think he will be a top 5 player one day.

Lee Yong Dae - He is always the best doubles player on the entire court when he plays. I can see him contending for gold next year if he finds a good enough partner.

Also, does anybody know why Lee Yong Dae is partnering with Ko Sung Hyun? I wonder if Lee Yong Dae is considering changing his partner for the runnup to next year's Olympics.

3. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    For LYD, after Olympic, JJS will retire and there is a big chance that LYD will partner with KO

4. rosid

rosid Regular Member

Student
    AFAIK, Tian never meet Tommy before, maybe you mean Andre Kurniawan

5. naistav

naistav Regular Member

That's one of Taufik character. He loves to play-play and enjoy the game (if he is not on losing end) :D.

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    LYD doesn't just glide around the court -- he flies.
    He should be dubbed "Air YongDae"

7. green_day

green_day Regular Member

8. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Just tuned in to badmintonlife's almost perceptible feed. Saw Taufik walking off court. Did he win? Was it close?:confused:

9. etudiant

etudiant Regular Member

Sigh, Taufik lost twice in a row to MZ....I suppose he didn't learn something from his loss in LA.....Taufik,Taufik...

10. phil-mm

phil-mm Regular Member

None
    Wow, Germany won in both of their matches, against higher seeds!

11. devaaaa

devaaaa Regular Member

Wohooo, I hope Marc will perform like that at the world cup and the upcoming tournaments before he gets too old. He might win a super series event or two. Would love that.

12. green_day

green_day Regular Member

Taufik game just finished. In the first set, Taufik seemed to be conserving energy and did not smash or play hard when Marc took a large lead. Taufik came out to play in the second set and started to jump smash early in the set. Unfortunately, by the end of the second set, Taufik began to show signs of fatigue. IMO, Taufik's fatigue lead to many unforced errors during the tie breaker and Marc's defense prevailed. Marc looked more fresh and looked to have spare energy at the end of the second set.

If Taufik doesn't improve his physical condition and stamina, I don't see how he can medal at the London Olympics.

FYI, Marc said in his interview that he was trying to tire Taufik out during the second set in preparation for the third set. Looks like Marc was able to tire Taufik out earlier. A very good game by Marc, and he deserves to be the 2nd best player in Europe, after Peter Gade.

13. rosid

rosid Regular Member

Student
  14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    good day for Germany. took both XD and MS.

now CSC leading 1-0 against PHY.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    CSC totally on fire today. can do nothing wrong. even a high lift -> net kill by PHY was casually blocked back by CSC. that was pretty incredible.

16. phil-mm

phil-mm Regular Member

None
    Congrats to CSC for winning the Canadian Open, beating PHY and 3 Japanese players

17. KB@TB Em

KB@TB Em Regular Member

student
    damn i missed it sitting in front of my pc not noticing that they start earlier today.....mh i want to see ko/lee...so i ll stay

Nice day for Germany. I´m really happy to see that they can confirm their good form (marc and mx); they just need more stability over a longer term...

18. KB@TB Em

KB@TB Em Regular Member

student
    Really he is that great...my fav player atm...just astonishing how he plays in both md and mx.Air YongDae is aptly!!

19. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Yup, he failed to take revenge and defend his title here...

20. green_day

green_day Regular Member

Just like the Indonesian Super Series finals, Wen Hsing Cheng lost because she has a poor net serve when the game is on the line. Taiwan was leading at 19 points, and Wen Hsing Cheng served a floater which the Chinese pair immediately took advantage of. IMO, because of Wen Hsing Cheng's loss of confidence in her net serve, she then did a flick serve during the tie breaker which China was able to smash down.

It was just like the Indonesian Super Series finals when Wen Hsing Cheng could not serve to win the mixed finals. Taiwan national coaches need to fix this glaring weakness of hers if they want her to win in future tournaments.