Canadian GP 2010 Live stream

Discussion in 'Malaysia GP / US Open / Australia Open / Canadian ' started by Vaido, Jul 12, 2010.

1. green_day

green_day Regular Member

There are a few good Korean restaurants in Richmond - the most noteable being the one at Landsdowne mall. Not sure why they don't go there. Maybe they are on a budget?

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:rolleyes: You refresh the one time so the stupid thing will capture the stream and find out you're not getting back in :D. So much for playing backup/replacement to Vaido for the day/night ... Well 1AM, 10 minutes on, still no luck so nighty night [​IMG]

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

thanks.. im watching anna rice vs kim moon hi now:D

4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

5. supernova

supernova Regular Member

senior software developer
    I guess you really don't know who zhu lin is.
    She was 07 world champ in WS and was quite active last year.
    I'm pretty sure she still has her BWF ranking (higher than most of the seeded players in this tournament).
    It's such an ignorant decision for the canada open organizers to place her unseeded.

6. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    But she didn't play well since WC 07 and was replaced by the Chinese young guns in major tournaments. And she also retired from the national team in the beginning of the year. Her ranking was dropped out of top 100. The Canada open organizers have to seed player based on the ranking. All the seeded players are ranked inside top 100. And she even has to play qualify rounds in US open. If Susi Susanti wants to play in Canadian Open next year, they cannot place her seeded because she was world champion n years ago.

7. event

event Regular Member

This is basically correct. She did win the Badminton Asia Championships in Suwon last year but that was over 12 months ago and hence has come off the current ranking point totals. Her ranking at the time of the close of registration (June 17th) was 116th and comprised only points from the Japan Open, China Masters, Malaysia GPG, and Indonesia Open last year. In any case, we all know who Zhu Lin is and the decision to start her as unseeded was not made by Canada Open organizers (note the time of the draw, 15:00 in KL which is midnight in BC), but rather by the BWF, who did not have any choice in the matter as they are bound by their own rules of seedings.

#87 event, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  8. green_day

green_day Regular Member

What Qidong and Event said. You can't seed a player based on their past rankings - you seed a player based on his/her current ranking. Seeding Zhu would have been unfair to the other seeds, who are actively playing in international competitions.

9. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I was told there was no live streaming today on either the Badminton BC or the bet365 links. Wonder what happened there?

10. visor

visor Regular Member

Yah, no kidding! I kept refreshing my browser trying to get a connection... maybe Badminton BC server was too overloaded from the demand.

11. madbad

madbad Regular Member

First the Oval didn't pay their hydro bill and half the lights went out on SF day :D. Now no live streaming. Must have been a bummer for all fans anticipating an exciting Finals day

12. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    The finals are the main events, no organizers in their right minds would broadcast on the internet free for people to watch. Not when they're struggling to capture revenue from sponsorship and tickets sales. I think having the semis broadcast was a compromise already as those matchups are so much better judging from the fact that most games went the rubber sets. I was so glad to be there for the quarterfinals and semis already.

#92 cappy75, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  13. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    Sometimes we as badminton enthusiasts expect too much.
    Hopefully some people have captured some matches and download them on youtube.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

15. event

event Regular Member

This makes sense. The only thing is that for overseas viewers, there was no commercial alternative for a Canadian tournament that had global appeal for the first time in a long time and Badminton Canada had already announced, on that streaming page, that there would be streams on the 18th as well. The streams up to the semi-finals would have garnered all the appreciation, without the disappointment, had they originally announced that streams would be available only up until the 17th. Also, your reasoning about revenue makes sense but the only way for a blackout to encourage ticket sales is to announce it beforehand. After all, how many people are going to skimp on the admission fee, sit at home hammering their monitor for half an hour, then drive to the venue to buy a ticket?

I wouldn't be surprised if a technical difficulty presented itself but I think all in all, the live streaming was a welcome addition and they were great while they lasted.