Canada Open 2014 in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Canada / USA / Chinese Taipei / Brazil Open 2014' started by jyeung, Feb 25, 2014.

1. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    Thanks, it was an ugly match that was a lot closer than it should have been against a local player. But in the end a win is a win and got the job done.

Thanks I am actually really looking forward to playing him. No pressure and no expectations so I can play freely and just enjoy it. Of course I'm going to go as hard as I can but yeah it will be a great time.

2. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    For those of you who are interested here is what the tournament venue looks like.

DSC_3080.jpg

3. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

I'm curious too :D

It's really tight scoreline, game 1 & decider, finished by deuce.
    I guess unknown KOR player Son Ju Hyung is independent player not national team, never heard his name before.

Nice venue for GP level tournament :)

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

I don't know Mr. Guiffre personally. Maybe one of the Ng's or Mr. Bonkowsky will give us further particulars.

But I do remember seeing MG at the junior nationals in Moncton in 2012.
    At that informal venue you could wander up right to the court, so I watched from the sideline as he played a very confident Sergey Shatenko.

Mr. Shatenko, iirc, took the first game with swagger. But Mr. Guiffre found his composure and one could see his confidence grow as he went on to win the match.

He had found a way of undermining an opponent who was used to intimidating with speed and confidence. Almost immediately after the win he took a seat nearby to dry off and savour his win. I couldn't help walking up to congratulate him. He struck me as great example of a polite, hard-working Canuck. It is very good to hear that he is doing well at the Canadian Open. :)

5. byakuugan

byakuugan Regular Member

That venue is even better than what we had here for Australian Badminton Open SS :D

6. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

A few complaints from players about the flooring. I think it's just the mat on top of the cement. One player was very outspoken about it. He ended up retiring after a few points because he didn't want to risk hurting himself.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Cushion underlay but looks thin.

uploadfromtaptalk1404281030209.jpg

8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Thanks for your info, yup he has advanced to R/16 and will take on Howard Shu.
    KOR and TPE shuttlers dominate last eight of MS and WS respectively.

ROUND OF 16 (10.00am local time, 4 courts) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/matches.aspx?id=6F2553DA-6F53-4729-A77B-E2AF711D035A

9. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    Chou Tien Chen (TPE) is playing level doubles as well.

10. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

11. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Upsss Anand pawar lost :( that means if L H ll will win if he battle past CTC..all the best Lee ....

12. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    There's been alot spoken about the flooring at the tournament. Here's what Toby Ng had to say [Facebook] :

"Jumping on concrete or asphalt can lead to knee, ankle, and hip problems, as such these surfaces should be avoided." - McNeely, NSCA Performance Training Journal, Vol. 6, No. 5.

The courts at Canada Open are extremely hard, but we cannot do anything about it. I know that. You can say that everyone has the same conditions, and those who want to win, will figure a way out. Yes and no, because yes, we will have winners next Saturday, but no, it's not the same for everyone. Those who have previous injuries, or have spent more time in the sport will be at a disadvantage; not everything is equal in similar conditions. I am not here to complain, but I am here to spread awareness, because many of us will scrape by this week and manage not to get injured. However, I must reiterate that jumping on concrete is a very bad move, and there is a lot of jumping or plyometric-like movements in badminton. Every 'split step' for some is an explosive movement, repeated many times throughout our matches.

And you may think it's common sense that jumping on concrete is not a wise move, but here we are. Whether it wasn't common sense, or whether corners were cut in the preparation of this tournament, something needs to be said. We, as athletes, sacrifice so much of ourselves and put our bodies on the line. Whatever the reason, for glory, a challenge, whatever it may be, we are still the ones who live with ourselves and our injuries.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" - Benjamin Franklin

To all the athletes this week, I don't care who wins; I just hope nobody ends their career here with a terrible injury. Please maximize your recovery strategies and listen to your bodies.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep, I got that photo from one of his posts on Facebook.

14. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Arvind Bhat I assume? He more than most should be concerned, in the twilight of his career.

I saw (and commented on) Mark Phelan's comments on twitter about his suggestion of players raising it with the athlete's commission. I experienced the same at the Lithuanian Open - Yonex court mats directly on top of concrete tennis courts - after 3 days of playing and training on them my legs were not in a good way at all.

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Thanks to Mr Epic for posting the note by Toby. Thanks to Toby for voicing his concerns so clearly. I do hope no one gets injured. This would be very embarrassing- the second year in a row we've had injuries at the Canadian Open! :eek:

16. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    [video=youtube;HEkenz7OksU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEkenz7OksU[/video]
    The Canadians lose a long rally but even it by winning the next point quickly at the Yonex Canada Grand Prix 2014.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Glad you corrected that from French to Canadians... ;)

18. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    Practice Courts on top as well. Nice arena :)
    10506744_10152511080443334_3307170244175438503_o.jpg

19. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Two step closer for former KOR #1 Lee Hyun Il to win GP title as he knocked out top-seed Chou Tien Chen and will take on Wong Wing Ki next.

SEMIFINALS (6.00pm, 2 courts) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...2553DA-6F53-4729-A77B-E2AF711D035A&d=20140704

Home last hopeful, Michelle Li will get Korean young talent Ko Eun Byul. It's KOR v TPE in WD last four and TPE pairs rule MD semifinal with three slots.

20. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Let pray for Michelle.