Can somebody tell me....?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Cheung, Dec 4, 2000.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Has Cheah Soon Kit of Malaysia retired?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    think so.

Here is the list of Malaysian national players, after they recently fired around 1/3 of the national team, Cheah's (and Yap also) is not in the list:

MEN

Singles: Wong Choon Hann, Yong Hock Kin, Ong Ewe Hock, Yeoh Kay Bin, Lee Tsuen Seng, Sairul Amar Ayob, Ismail Saman, Alvin Chew, James Chua, Ramesh Nathan.

Doubles: Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah, Chan Chong Ming-Chew Chun Eng, Ng Kean Kok-Charles Khoo, Jeremy Gan-Hong Chien Hun, Rosman Razak-Chang Kim Wai.

WOMEN

Singles: Wong Miew Kheng, Wong Pei Tty, Woon Sze Mei, Lee Yin Yin,K. Sugita.

Doubles: Chor Hooi Yee-Ang Li Peng, Lim Pek Siah-Joanne Quay, Fong Chew Yen-Norashikin Amin.

3. Alvin

Alvin Guest

RE: think so.

What do u mean by fired?they are not fired.they are just not chosen to represent malaysia in the 2004 olympics.Cheah,i think he hasn't got a good partner yet since yap resigned.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    RE: think so.

Alvin,

that depends how you look at it. <a target=top_ "http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2000/11/15/sports/1538pddr&newspage=Search">Star Online</a> says they are being <i>dropped</i> from the national squad and will be returned to the states. so they won't be part of the national team, and nor will they participate in the 2004 Olympics. and of course, they won't be paid by BAM.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    CSK demand a lot from his partner, so not many team member wish to pair up with him and vice versa. Therefore, poor relation off court also mean poor teamwork on court.

6. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Wong Choong Han was fired? What do you mean by that Kwun? Fired as in hes not allowed to play anymore?

Thats wierd coz i thought Wong was 1 of malaysia's top along with Ong.... Who fired him? Thats gotta be bad to lose wong.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    oh.... no no... the list is the list of remaining players after the axe. sorry about the confusion... :)

8. vince poon

vince poon Guest

Don't you hate playing with people like CSK, especially you are just playing for fun. Complaining about this, bitching about that. How do you deal with partner like that beside a ear plug.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

As far as I can remember, Cheah's main partners have been Ong Beng Teong, Soo Beng Kiang, Yap Kim Hock, Choong Tan Fook

OBT. The only match I saw was at Thomas cup a long time ago. They won the match and the Thomas Cup.
    SBK was the most frustrating. Never kill the shuttle. Always playing around.
    YKH lack a bit of consistency at crucial points because his arm would tense.
    CTF was definately not fit enough for some of the period when playing with CSK (I saw him huffing and puffing in the 2nd game of a match couple of yrs ago!)

If you were Cheah, would u be frustrated as well after winning the Thomas cup?

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i don't argue that CSK partners were not as good as him. Too bad, we could have a good and long rival between Rexy & Ricky and CSK & somebody good.

If i remember right, in 1992 (first badminton olympic), CSK & YKH won the first game in the final (gold medal) match, but then lost 2nd and 3rd game to rexy & ricky. Boy, CSK was really pissed and devastated.

11. vince poon

vince poon Guest

Even without the shadow of the doubt that CSK is better than his partner, it doesn't give him the right to scold his partner. There is alots of pressure in the big game already, he doesn't need to add more pressure to it. It is not like his partner not trying, they are trying their best, and that all you can ask for. Look as Ricky Mainaky, do you ever see he get mad at Rexy? No. A good double player is a player that help his partner play his or her best, scolding at someone won't bring the best out of people.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I think it was the 1996 Olympics for that match.

Vince is completely correct. However, I do think that SBK could have done better.

13. Alvin

Alvin Guest

CSK may become a coach but it's still not sure yet.his ex partner yap may also become a coach too.if they do,they may coach the juniors or become the assistant coach for doubles.

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

cheung, thanks for the correction, i was going on my memory, I hadn't seen the match. It's too bad there isnt any consistent top ranking players from malaysia. Didn't yang yang and martin frost coached the malaysian team at one time but not much progress came out of it. I think there is some political conflict between two badminton division within malaysia and that really dampen national and team building spirit.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Just looking at the M'sian team in recent years, I think their motivation has been lacking overall. Is the desire to win less than other countries? i.e. just being the no.1 in the country is satisfaction enough.

Although M'sians have done well, more often it is the final hurdle that they fail to overcome and prevents them being at the very top. At other times, tactical thinking seems to be lacking.

Very high quality ex-China players are/have coached the M'sian team. Han Jian, Xiong GuoBao, Yang Yang, plus some of the doubles players but we still don't see the players break through.

Under Morten Frost, at least the team got to the Thomas Cup final. A good result considering the time previously and the time after they failed to make it to the semi-finals. It was very disappointing to learn Morten Frost left the team. He had great mental and tactical strength and the players seemed to be improving in this department at that time.

Park Joo Bong has come at a difficult time. Even so, I think he will have more success than he did in England. Chew Chun Eng/Chan Ching Ming had a surprise victory over the Koreans. That shows either the Koreans underestimated their opponents or the M'sians have great potential............

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

I've final dug up some old articles which showed In 1992 CSK paired with Soo BK and in 1996 CSK paired with Yap KH. I also think CSK had the best career result from these 2 pairs versus others.

What i've also discovered is that both YKH and SBK are lefties. Ahhh, could this be the weak link? Given the skill and talent of YKH and SBK, if they were right handed like CSK, i think malaysian men doubles badmintion history would be different.

My technical opinion is that in doubles play, pairs with same racket hands would do better than opposite racket hand pairs, assuming other parameters are the same. Would anybody agree with that?

cooler