Can Chen Long outclass Lee Chong Wei if they meet in WC 2014

Discussion in 'World Championships 2014' started by latecomer, Jan 12, 2014.

1. miksss

miksss Regular Member

Chen Long need to pass WHS or Tommy, while LCW neet to pass JOJ. watch out!

2. Dougie

Dougie Regular Member

Buyer
    Massive pressure now on CL. I believe LYB has really messed up not sending LD. LYB has played right into LCW's hand. LD is a walk on to beat LCW whenever it matters as he has proven over & over again...even without match practice LD would be 70%-30% to beat LCW...CL will now have to win to rescue reputation of gents singles in China. DPY was a let down in TC, CL outclassed by KT so lots to prove. I wonder what LD thinks watching it from comfort of sofa.....only obstacle is home country boy JOJ. Its actually quite dull with all the withdrawals...

3. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

Looking from Lee's performance up to the recent demolition of Wang ZM, I'd say no, Chen can't outclass Lee in this tournament IF they were destined to meet at the final

4. indrg

indrg Regular Member

JOJ retired in R16. 4 remaining caliber players now are CL, LCW, TS and VA.

5. fauci

fauci Regular Member

now i'm almost sure it's going to be a lcw vs cl final. judged from cl's performance against swh today i think it's very unlikely he will beat lcw

6. e1981

e1981 Regular Member

e1981.com
    If he can beat lcw, explained Chen Long racket only use N55, N80 racket is not suitable for CL use.

7. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Chen Long will be annihilated, LCW will win his first ever WC in 2 easy sets.

Everytime CL backhands LCW gonna kill it, just like Tommy did yesterday but twice as good.

8. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    LCW will win for sure.
    This is what CL had to say Saya akan mencoba untuk mengalahkannya (LCW) , tapi secara pribadi saya meyakini seorang LCW bukan tidak mungkin untuk dikalahkan"

Translation, "I will try to defeat it (LCW), but personally I believe a LCW is not likely to be defeated "

9. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Both men have been planning their schedules to be at their best in this WC. LCW is due to win one while CL is determined to win this one. This match will be a classic no less. It will rival any matches between LD and LCW in the past. Go to washroom and empty yourself before the match starts.

10. kenjai7373

kenjai7373 Regular Member

yes he can.:D

11. e1981

e1981 Regular Member

e1981.com
    Li YD , Li Xue Rui , Li CW . A bad day today?

12. fauci

fauci Regular Member

I guess the bookies made a lot of money today.

13. Dougie

Dougie Regular Member

Buyer
    My goodness what happenned to LCW . Once again nerves got to him. He is destined never to win the big ones. But whos fault is it...I feel BAM must shoulder the blame as well as LCW. The schedule they have him playing is way to much, he must have a break instead of playuing virtually every SS event.... Incredible court coverage by CL thoroughly deserving his victory.....

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

This is very interesting, as reported here http://sports.qq.com/a/20140901/002025.htm, for this WC, LYB specially arranged for Sun Jun to be brought from Jiangsu (to Shenyang) specifically to coach Chen Long. LYB said :" Sun Jun plays a very smart game, it is for this reason that we want him to bring Chen Long some new style of play and elements."

15. losima

losima Regular Member

sticker,375x360.png

can bring in foo kok keong or hock kin to coach my wei2

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Losima,

Justin L quoted an article so no need to be sarcastic.

Sun Jun was acknowledged by his several of his peers to be an outstandingly intelligent badminton player. He might not have looked as good in technique as some others but the quality of his shots was very high.

17. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Sun Jun is NOT a foo! At least he's world champion! If you just read the badminton world champions' list, you would not know Malaysia belongs to the world.

Sun Jun is a very special player. For some reason, he didn't practice a lot (lazy? or injuries ?), All other national teammates had to train at least 4 hours a day, but he at most 2 hours.

And also, he was not good at practice matches, he lost mostly to his teammates in training. That's the reason his coaches and teammates liked to underestimate him. But in real competitions, he's among the best in the world, especially dominated the world badminton in 1997-1999. He's the world champion in 1999, and 2nd place in 1997 world championship, and also junior world champion. He's multiple times winner of the grand slam finals, and winners of all England as well.

By the way, his 1997 world championship final was a classical for every badminton fans must see. In daily training, he never trained over 2 hours, he claimed his body was not strong enough to train for 2 hours. He's the one fully rely on strategies to win. But the 1997 WC final lasted over 2 hours 4 minutes. One of the longest match in badminton history. Sun Jun can do that in real competition!

Therefore, LYB asked Sun Jun to coach Chen Long for 2 reasons:

1) Chen Long kind of lost his confidence recently, so he had to listen to Sun Jun who never lost confidence no matter how poor his condition was. Sun Jun was good at separating tournaments from training, and also separating this tournament from previous tournaments.

2) Chen Long's recent training got some problems, not as efficient as before. Therefore came Sun Jun, who's the most efficient in training. Unlike most players, Sun Jun didn't need much training to lift himself to the maximum potential.

#37 2cents, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  18. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Has there been a comment of Lin Dan on Chen Long yet?

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    One of my friends helped Sun Jun on a China tour of England. Sun Jun was still a junior but had many blisters on his feet which my friend helped treat.

I also saw Sun Jun's last match in the All China games. He got to the semifinals of the doubles and won the mixed doubles. That was only a few months after the Olympics and a complete switch from singles to doubles. An absolute privilege to have seen that.

Sorry to have gone off topic.

20. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    what you expect?

After Olympics, LYB planed to retire Lin Dan, and promoted Chen Long, that way, LYB can better control everything, especially sponsorship, fund and money (because Lin Dan took too much percentage).

Unfortunately, Chen Long was not good as expected, while Lin Dan still invincible after more than 1 year retiring. Now under pressures from fans, sponsors, and top management, LYB has to re-accept Lin Dan back to the national team.

With fixed income, Lin Dan's return means everyone else has to sacrifice their percentage. Chen Long has to give up the most, as the #1 in the team. Wang ZM looks more and more doomed. Du Pengyu clearly just quit!

What you expect Lin Dan to say? Okay, here's what he said:

"I know, a lot people will feel very uncomfortable (about Lin Dan's return), they will definitely curse the devil coming back again!"

Who are those people?

Chen Long, Li Yongbo, Lee CW, Wang ZM, Du pengyu ? or probably all the players.

Nevertheless BWF and real badminton fans are the gainers. Without Lin Dan, all the matches/tournaments are not the top class competition.