BWF Reviews Scoring System

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by pcll99, May 20, 2014.

1. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    The same complaints here are the same complaints when the scoring system was announced for the current 21 point rally system. There is a large thread here that had the same opposition to that change. Now how many people still play the old 15 point game?

I'm not saying this 11 point change is great or absolutely required, I just don't think it's as bad as some have stated, plus nothing is official yet.

2. tedtiler

tedtiler New Member

Someone mentioned tennis not changing as an example and that's an interesting point. Endless deuce and advantage points in one game and yet TV has no problem with that.

I'm over 40 but still feel the old 15 point scoring with serve had more interesting games. Maybe overdone with setting to 5.

Always found that if I'm 15-8 up in a current scoring system then many opponents just give up. In the old system if I was 10-5 up the opponent could easily catch up making good use of both serves.

Up to 11 would be completely useless, squash has definitely suffered for it. No real drama in each short game.

Just my 2 cents, could be looking back with rose coloured specs :eek:

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    People can't use the old scoring system because it does not prepare them for the rules in competition. And for social players, they always prefer to play by current rules.

4. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

That's the main problem imho!
    For a real drama to happen, things have to build up slowly, tension has to rise!
    In a 21-point game that is given, tension rises slowly, there are some small comebacks and from 16:16 onwards the heat is on.

Haven't they tried 4 games up to 7 or something before? No exitement in the first 3 or 4 games.

I truly believe that tension doesn't really rise if games are too short. And for me, 11 points is just too short...

5. Smautf

Smautf Regular Member

6. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

#186 CantSmashThis, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  7. CantSmashThis

I was watching the WS Final between Michelle Li and Karin Schnaase. They switched sides after the 1st game, which should be incorrect with the new scoring system. Interesting.

"8. CHANGE OF ENDS 8.1.2 at the end of the second game; 8.1.3 at the end of the third game, if there is to be a fourth game; and 8.1.4 at the end of the fourth game, if there is to be a fifth game; and 8.1.5 in the fifth game when a side first scores 6 points"

#187 CantSmashThis, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  8. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Rule 8.1.1 should apply, no?

9. CantSmashThis

Ahh, I see, so that's what it is. They make this rule book so confusing. They should state that Rule 8.1.1 should apply explicitly instead of implicated. As an official, this does not help us at all.

10. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Yeah, it is confusing. It took me a while to realize that one needs to combine the two rule books for it to make sense.

11. Smautf

Smautf Regular Member

12. TheComedian

TheComedian Regular Member

Badminton Player/Coach
    alright, i've been reviewing a lot of matches in this scoring system. when it first started, players were giving it mostly their all. seeing scores like: 11-10, 11-9, 10-11, 10-11, 11-10. also some seeds lost out in a sudden death in the fifth or forth set.

now looking at that score above, say it was Son Wan Ho vs Marc Zwiebler. Marc won the match, for example. looking at the world rankings that shouldn't happen. if there was any form of deuce at all, do you think it would have panned out with Marc coming out on top? Marc serving 10 all, Son tries to make a tight net shot, falls into the net, and that's it....

Now, this scoring system has evolved into players just throwing games away. now you can see scores like: 11-8, 11-7, 0-11, 11-6. That third game clearly wasn't fought for.

In both of these scenarios, i believe it's a bad thing for our sport. it's stressful, and nobody wants to see players throwing sets away because they know they have FIVE sets to play with.

13. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    s607.jpg

Here is another example. the reverse of what I said above. the 5th game ending in a sudden death is just bull crap. The African player had a real chance at qualifying. in my opinion, he was robbed of the opportunity. If it was to 21, he could have won this match. but he lost to the worse player due to the scoring system.

And the 4th game was thrown away...

#193 TheComedian, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  14. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

agree. Sudden death at the 5th set is crap for the sport.

16. CantSmashThis

Aside from the duration it would take, it would seem interesting to be involved in a long match. "Service over, 168-167". But unfortunately tournaments may take forever to finish if that were the case.

17. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    You know, the whole reason they changed the scoring system was to create more moments of climax to attract viewers. if a match is 2-2 and 10-10, and two of those sets were thrown away and a player loses the match from a mistake he wouldn't normally make due to "do or die" pressure, it ends up being ANTI-climactic doesn't it...

ridiculous.

the guy who is responsible for this scoring system is either huffing glue or should be diagnosed with some form of mental illness. it's like they WANT to kill the sport.

18. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    I'm watching this match (Rajiv VS Ajay) and this should be a close match. sure ajay won in straight sets. but the match was less than 30 min! The stamina training is now completely removed from the program. why train stamina if the match is over in 20min. I can run for 20min no problem. This scoring system is bullcrap. they better stop with it or i think a lot of players will retire. no one want to play with scoring system.

three games to 11 creates 20 min matches and so setting? I can't think of one positive thing to say about it.

[video]http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODAxODE5MTA4.html[/video]

19. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Perhaps so that older players like LCW, LD, etc can keep on competing?

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Will having to train at full speed for matches mean more injuries?