BWF: get with the program

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by cobalt, Oct 23, 2011.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    scorpion1, Hawkeye as it is right now, cannot be really used in badminton. It has many technical issues. As a matter of fact, Hawkeye is not used in isolation even in cricket, where it is recomended to be used in conjunction with Hotspot, which is a thermal imaging solution, the same type used by special Sony cameras for night-vision wildlife photography etc.

For Hawkeye to be able to make the correct projections, it will require extensive reprogramming of their system. And given the variables that are faced in pro badminton, it will still not be accurate enough. To implement Hawkeye in this sport would be a big mistake.

2. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    There is a report regarding Hawk eye camera in connection with badminton.

"http://www.birdievents.com/feature-stories/hawk-eye-in-badminton.html"

Excerpts:

"During ITF testing in 2006 Hawk-Eye made the correct call in 100% of all tests, showing an average error of only 3.6mm. The system recorded 100% of all rallies. "

Lets hope a good solution will be obtained for the ongoing minor drawback to badminton regarding wrong judgement and be available for use as soon as possible.

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    ITF is a Tennis federation, it has nothing to do with badminton; you are confusing issues! :) The predictive requirements for tennis are much more simple than badminton. Hawkeye is not yet evolved for deployment in badminton.

Moreover, I believe the spatial tracking techniques required for Hawkeye to be deployed successfully cannot function within a closed and crowded environment like an indoor arena where anywhere from 2 to 5 courts are seeing action simultaneously. The probability of error and it's margin could be unacceptably high even if a forced deployment was made.

And madbad is right: the cost would wipe the smiles off the organisers' faces... :p

4. Littlejohn

Littlejohn Regular Member

Lazy Bum
    Interesting subject, would love to know what the technical difficulties are with regard to badminton, presumably its connected to the flightpath of the shuttle not being similar to that of a ball. Has anybody done a cost anaylis of this, what would it cost to implement it for something like a superseries event. just to throw a curveball into the argument is badline calling a serious problem at ALL superseries or grandprix events or just at a select few, if its the later, why not consider going down the line of having a team of paid linemen/women similar to that of umpires and referees, perhaps made up of retired refs and umpires.

Has anybody done a study of line calling, checking calls with TV shots to see what the call accuracy is

5. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    There is an interesting article in one of the indian newspapers.

Here is the post:

" http://articles.timesofindia.indiat...minton-world-federation-human-error-uday-sane "

Excerpts:

" No matter how big or small the nature of the match, there is always a complaint about line calls in badminton. A bad line call can not only potentially turn the tide of a match, it is even known to have disrupted careers.

However, this could all change soon as Badminton World Federation (BWF) is seriously thinking about using technology to make the game a fair contest. "

I think am not here to confuse anybody.

Soon, we can see our FAVOURITE badminton game without any controversies soon. This is not far away. So, be happy guys.!!!

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

That technology is still under development I believe. Done by one US university and another party. BWF perhaps thinking to be the guinea pig to get it for cheap sounds more like it :D ...

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    BWF has a great example available to them, if they want to learn how to popularise the sport and not break the bank.

While they're at it, they should also give public thanks to our own twobeer.

He has brought live streaming to the world from the Swedish International, on a shoestring budget, and it's getting better every day!

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...79-Swedish-International-Stockholm-Torunament

9. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  10. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Just to update, just finished watching the AE (sky uk broadcast) and they have made many improvements that have been discussed within these forums. There was a Smash speed leaderboard for tournament, some pretty impressive camera angles(particularly the side on views in the LCW match) and some great player backstory/build up info(particularly the small speil on Intanon Ratchanok). Good steps in the right direction just not big or slick enough yet but still impressive forward movement.

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Tan, Polii and Vittinghus Elected by Peers
    Sunday, March 10, 2013 - Text by Gayle Alleyne

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=71526

Excerpt:

The three were elected to serve four-year terms following four days of voting by their fellow players; two at the Yonex German Open and two at the Yonex All England Open Badminton Championships.

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    It appears that badminton is no longer in danger of being dropped from the list of OG sports... read this article:

Wrestling gives badminton a safety net
    China Daily, March 26, 2013

http://www.china.org.cn/sports/2013-03/26/content_28358933.htm

a very interesting quote by Thomas Lund in this article:

"Everybody goes to schools, and the ambition for badminton is to be one of the world's biggest school sports," he said. "So we are spreading badminton in schools to every country in the world."

The BWF will team with its 173 members to provide training facilities and lessons to schools worldwide, increase prize money and improve TV broadcasting.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i believe this thing about badminton being endangered is just bogus claim.

in the annual review by the IOC, badminton is not even in the list of the sports to be considered eliminated.

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Once upon a time, a nice, gentle shopkeeper used to sell candy and other stuff to the local villagers. Everyone knew everyone, and things were good.

Then one day, the cost of candy increased to five times what it used to be. The kind old shopkeeper just went about his business after making the price correction.

Being a small village, he used to keep the shop doors open, and no bell, or any security cameras were around. Soon, some of the locals used to sneak in when they knew he was in the back room, and steal off with the candy.

When they were caught, they said, "but there is no sign saying that taking candy is illegal!" And the shopkeeper thought, "I can't shut my shop just because of a few bad fellows stealing some candy. My livelihood depends on my shop, and besides, I own the only shop in the whole village - it is my duty to continue."

The other people thought about this for a long while, then came up with this solution.
    "Stop selling candy! We don't need it. Candy has proven to be a divisive factor, one that tempts our people to do wrong things!"

But many others went up in arms at this. "It's not the fault of the candy!" they said. "It's just that there's so much of it, and so easily accessible in the shop, that makes these boys steal."

So they said to the shopkeeper, "Stock only just a little candy; and keep it locked in the steel cabinet. That way, everyone will value it more and learn to eat in moderation."

15. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

lovely story:D, what are you referring to?

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    BWF and IMG in Landmark Media-Rights Deal
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 - Text by Gayle Alleyne

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=73812

Excerpts:

...The deal, which comes into effect with the start of the 2014 Superseries cycle next year, will see BWF’s media-rights earnings jump four fold as badminton’s world-governing body capitalises on the sport’s increasing global popularity and profile.

The BWF events are currently televised in more than 160 countries, with more than 5,000 hours of coverage yearly. Additionally, after just 18 months, BWF’s online channel boasts 22 million views with fans already watching 70 million minutes of badminton. The new agreement will look to improve on these solid figures. “I have said before that my goal has been to strengthen BWF’s financial position and this agreement with IMG further ensures that. BWF is guaranteed higher revenues from this deal than ever before for media rights,” said BWF President Dr. Kang Young Joong

...The consolidation of BWF’s media rights means IMG Media – a division of IMG Worldwide, the global sports, fashion and media company – will have exclusive rights to showcase all of the best badminton action worldwide, having secured the rights for the BWF Major Events (World Championships, Thomas & Uber Cups and the Sudirman Cup), the 12-stop BWF World Superseries tour which culminates in the year-end Superseries Finals and the Grand Prix Gold tour which for the first time sees its media rights centralised by the BWF. This is also the very first time the BWF is working exclusively with one global partner across all of its media rights.

17. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

This is great to see, if BWF keep these forward pushes up you are going to have to change the thread title Cobalt.

We are also looking at an enhanced magazine show, profiling badminton stars and events more prominently. There are many options for utilising media platforms and BWF will be seeking to maximise these.

It is nice to see them put effort into this side of things as well, I think giving badminton personality will help it greatly. I still think they are doing a pretty amatuer job at this after watching the badminton world magazine programs. I have seen two interviews of players who actually have a personality, villa lang and Greysia Polii. Even so they still struggled a wee bit, because the questioning was not too good and interviewer (if their was one?) kind of hung them out to dry. Most of the other interviews although some being slightly interesting were more like job interviews and lacking in any charisma. The lady who narrates the show is terrible(not personal maybe just the material given) but everything is just read in the same up and down tone with no conviction or interest in what she is saying. She will cut in over the top and say "ville Lang owes a lot to his parents" then it cuts to him basically repeating what she just said, pretty rubbish.
    Fear not I have the perfect man for the job Peter Gade! Have him conduct the interviews in screen as well. He has been within the "inner circle" enough to extract the best information out of player/coaches, and ask them more gritty/pertinent or funny questions. the interviewees my be more comfortable talking to him. He has knowledge and enough personality. As long as he didn't take it too seriously I think that would work amazing.

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Actually, I think the entire IMG deal was a last-minute dash to the finish line and a sell-out in more ways than one. With this deal, I believe BWF have just perpetuated the same mistakes they have been making thus far, and have in effect, presented the next management with a fait accompli.

19. Littlejohn

Littlejohn Regular Member

Lazy Bum
    Can I ask what your basing these assumptions on cobalt,

20. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

"Televised in more than 160 countries" ??? I would love to see that list :p!