BUT HOW ABOUT THE POOR GEESE?!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by shaun, May 10, 2001.

1. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    I was talking with Kelvin one day and he brought up the topic of shuttle cocks and the poor geese.....Then i started to wonder: "how do they get the feathers for the shuttle cocks?" Do they just go out, find geese and kill them?
    or have farm, raise them and then pluck them once in a while?
    I have no idea which one of these they do, but i believe the later is MUCH more economical.

"I bet if they are farmed, when ever they see someone with a pair of tweezers come around they all go bonkers! roflmao" -Kelvin

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you guys are so funny.

of course the feathers are not "farmed". as you may know, almost all shuttles are manufactured from China, and the Chinese do raise geese for their meat (quite yummy one as well). and the by product of that is feather, and that's what the shuttles are made from.

now, i am not sure which one is worse, raising geese and plucking their feathers, or raising geese and killing them for meat.

ugh. now i realized that my fav sports relies on the by-product of killing other animals. my next jumpsmash will never feel the same again.

3. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    lol ducks are good! i dunno how to say it in eng bu peen(peel) pay(skin) aap(duck) is really good lol "]
    but feathers....they really come from the ducks that we eat? the feathers that they dont need we use to make shuttles? MEANS THEy ARE FARMED! BUT NOT FARMED FOR THE PURPOSE OF FEATHERS, BUT FOR THE PURPOSE OF FOOOOD! okay i think i get it....all u evil ppl who use feather shuttles....ur killing all those poor ducks!

4. BaMBaM

BaMBaM Guest

How about the corks used for shuttles which come from trees, no one is then innocent of deforestation for the sake of playing with either nylon or feathered shuttles. Would using nylon then be lesser of the two evils?

5. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    BAMBAM I USE FULL SYNTHETIC! THE RUBBER CAP ONES ! BWAHAHAHA u cant blow me up( say that in canto, then it will make sense "]).
    j/k i use mavis 300

6. BaMBaM

BaMBaM Guest

If only shuttles were recyclable (even the rubber ones) then we'd all be ecologically friendly

7. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    OH for the love of God...

All the poor Geese!!!!!
    How cruel can you be Kwun! :lol:
    JK, I'm a huge fan of feather shuttles, but man...
    ALL OF YOU!!!
    HANG YOUR HEADS IN SHAME!!! SHAME SHAME SHAME!!! :p

As for me, after each game, I will have a moment of silence before I head off to eat, some duck...err.. Geese for dinner.
    (so cruel... so cruel)

8. BaMBaM

BaMBaM Guest

Re: OH for the love of God...

You can eat more than one goose (geese) for dinner? That'll make at least a dozen shuttles.

9. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    As for Corky...

The corks are actually drilled out of the trees or something like that, and they grow back relatively fast, so they are not actually hacking down the entire tree for our badminton shuttles...
    Well at least according to that http://www.shuttlecocks.com
    They drill it out or something I forgot... but check it out.. .I'm not so sure it's as bad as we're thinking it is...
    but those Geese!!!!!!!
    FOR SHAME, FOR SHAME!!!

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor

OMG, how about those down comforters that has for years kept us warm throughout the cold nights?? i am sleeping with no cover on tonight.

*sniff*

11. Brett

Brett Regular Member

I read on some shuttle manufacturer's website (can't remember which, though), that they select a few feathers from each goose and then throw them back out in the farm yard to grow new ones. If this is the generally accepted method, I don't think it would be that painful for the goose, kind of like pulling out a few hairs from a human head.

12. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah

Well Kelvin..that's why I'm the smart one...I play with NYLON shuttles....all of you..SHAME! SHAME! SHAME! Go NYLON SHUTTLERS!!!!! hehehehehhehe....

13. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Biology class

Guys, guys, guys... bird shed their feathers, remember? And I think geese shed their feathers twice annually. So, you really don't need to kill the birds to get the feathers, or even pluck them. In theory, that is. In reality, I suspect we owe much to the meat industry, but it doesn't HAVE to be that way. Maybe it's time for a brand of ecologically farmed feather shuttles?

And anybody who thinks that nylon shuttles would be better... think about the environment! Nylon is an oil-based product. Using them you help drain the planet of its non-renewable fuels. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

14. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Re: Biology class

couldn't we just make our racquets bigger, and stronger, and smack the geese around??? the fly pretty well I'm sure, I mean they always fly south for the Winter's from North America don't they?? :lol:

For those of you without a sense of humor, that was a joke. :p

15. May

May Guest

Re: As for Corky...

Kelvin's closest. The cork we use is actually juz da bark of da tree. they juz strip it off every year and it regrows back da next to be stripped off again.

16. Don

Don Regular Member

I'm appalled! Time to alert PETA! :)

17. May

May Guest

ummm........ Kwun, they don't use geese feathers if I'm not wrong, they use the feathers of the Eider duck(that's where u get the word eiderdown) and feathers form ducks.

18. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah

Damn you Mag! Always got something up your sleeve! ~_^

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

However, plastic shuttles last much longer than feather and plastic can be recycled

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor

feather is bio-degradable. i wonder if the plastic is... i can see a complete new marketing strategy for Yonex now. they will start making bio-degradable plastic shuttles...