broadcast time

Discussion in 'Singapore / Indonesia / Malaysia Open 2003' started by spectra, Jul 26, 2003.

1. spectra

spectra Regular Member

Student
    in malaysia they'll only show the final LIVE on ASTRO SUPER SPORTS , 24th of August (sunday),12pm - 4:30pm...
    time might change depends on what time the event starts....i dun think it will start on time....
    it might start early or late ....
    and also might ends early or late...depends on how long the player plays...

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    As far as I've seen, these big events start almost exactly on time for the first session.

About 1 minute for knocking the shuttle around court, and then the game starts.

Thanks for giving the time of the start. The website says HK is getting live broadcast on the day as well.

Might even get s/f broadcast if going by some of the transmissions in previous years

3. alanplt

alanplt New Member

I guess the chances of TV coverage here in the UK is pretty slim, since we hardly had any even when the WC2003 was held in Birmingham. Shame on the BBC!!

4. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Looks like holding the WC2003 in UK did little to stir any interest at all. When I was in Birmingham, the hotel receptionist did not even know the event was being held in Birmingham. Ask them what time England is playing Turkey for football, and they will be able to tell which channels are showing live, what time, and who are the first 11, the odds of winning and who will socre the goals.

The painful truth is that in England, Badminton just does not capture any attention apart from a relatively small amount of people. I know an ex-county player, and he drew a blank when I mentioned the name Colin Haughton. Imagine a Malaysian national player not knowing who Foo Kok Keong is.

5. mozartcova

mozartcova Regular Member

I like Foo Kok Keong. He's a fighter....

I'm kind of surprised that Badminton is not popular in England given that they are one of the country who started the game/tournament. Could that be because they don't have enough good players in the world ranking?

I think every Indonesian, whether they play badminton or not, know Liem Swie King(sp?)... :D

6. Faisal

Faisal Regular Member

Student
    They did show the WC2003 on BBC2 on the 4th of August...for one hour..Well i was quite happy coz something is better than nothing :)

7. alanplt

alanplt New Member

Yes, your're right! My friend also told me about this. But one hour of highlights the day after the finals (Monday) during daytime TV (between 11:50-12:50)!?.....come on! Surely they can do better than that!!

I'm sure if our own Robertson & Emms reached the final, the BBC would have showed it LIVE, no doubt about it!! Pathetic!!

8. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Spectra, any news on RTM? People like me who don't have Astro need to depend on RTM for sport events.

ps - Yeah, Foo Kok Keong redefined the name 'old workhorse'. He is so full of commitment to his game and gives his best in all games. He was still pretty good after he turned 30. One of the players from yesteryear whom I remember the most.

9. spectra

spectra Regular Member

Student
    i'm not sure....but mostly they won't buy the rights to telecast it live because it's expensive....UNLESS....there's at lease ONE malaysia player get into the final ...then maybe you'll get to see it live on rtm.....BUT if lucky ....they'll buy the rights .....

but i think they'll show the malaysia open ....coz it's in malaysia... hehehe....like last year they only show the final...

#9 spectra, Aug 18, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2003
  10. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Even if Nathan and Gail got into the finals, I don't think it would have been broadcasted live on British TV. We just would have seen more of them in the highlights. I am talking about television for the common folk by the way (BBC). If Sky had 1 month contracts, I would have signed up.

Maybe Central ITV should have broadcasted it, as it was so regional.

The thing is, I wouldn't mind staying up for extended highlights, such as they have in programmes like World football. Apparently, they sometimes show a few minutes in a programme called World sports or something like that

11. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    We used to have so much of those live telecasts of the game back in the 80s. I remember my family having dinner early during particular days just because there's a badminton tournament going on that evening.

I (we) without Astro need our regular dosage of live baddy!

12. yowkee

yowkee Regular Member

Even if it's M'sia Open, they would at most live cast semi-final and final. *sigh*...

wilfredlgf, you could try some cafe/pub/food court with TV(Astro) if you stay around KL. These places would most probably on the badminton game if there is no any live cast of England Premier league then (sigh, again).

13. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Indonesia Open broadcast schedule

Anyone out there know the broadcast schedule either "live" or "delay" ?
    Thanks!