Booking Of Courts Unnecessary

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by ShineSun, Nov 15, 2005.

1. ShineSun

ShineSun Regular Member

telemarketer,singtel
    The Recent Upgrading Of Estates In Singapore Such As Ang Mo Kio,waterloo St,hougang Makes Every Estate Compulsable To One Badminton Court(at Least).the Courts Are Constructed In Accordance To Ssc.in Hougang There Are currently(still expanding)20 Courts(2km Radius And Proximity).so My Point Is Those Near Hougang Need Not Book Courts(hougang and yio chu kang ESP) As The Money Patronized Can Be Used To Buy A Standard Net For At Least 17 Dollars.(all Courts In Housing Estates Lights Out At 10pm Sharp).17 Dollars A Worthy Investment Considering If U Play From Dusk Till Dawn+8pm-10pm.:) Eon.

#1 ShineSun, Nov 15, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  2. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    But are these courts that you are talking about outdoors?

Unfortunately, the only time in Singapore that I can think of that is breeze free is noon.

I don't think anyone wants to play at noon.

Plenty of courts for sepak takraw, though...

3. ShineSun

ShineSun Regular Member

telemarketer,singtel
    agreeable...but this court...is exceptional...it does not have any breeze at all coz it is blocked by several blocks of flats very close to it..

4. terror

terror Regular Member

poor lighting at night. those street lamps just arent enough. if they have flood lights it would just be too blinding and looking up to find the shuttle would be a real chore

i believe it would be made of concrete since using wood would be impractical and well, unless it was made of some softer material like those used in synthetic floorings in certain gyms i doubt i'd use it. too much punishment to the knees

of course, the weather is another factor as mentioned earlier. if not wind, what about blasted hot weather or rain?

i think id still prefer indoor courts anyhow. but of course thanks for this notice.:) maybe ill visit once there is a direct bus for me to get to those areas

5. JohnNano

JohnNano Regular Member

Where is the place you are talking about? Mind giving readers the blocks? 20 courts in hougang? You must be kidding, i have never heard of this very ridiculous thing they are doing or building.... singapore land are limited. Build 20 courts in 1 place? I doubt what you say. If you like that say, then i think those sportshall or community club will have to close down already. :crying::eek::eek::mad::rolleyes::(

6. ShineSun

ShineSun Regular Member

telemarketer,singtel
    i shall name 5 for u(many more).BLK 938 hougang ave 9.BLK 931 hougang ave 9,blk 928 hougang ave 9,blk 810 hougang ave 8,blk 614 hougang ave 9.

7. JohnNano

JohnNano Regular Member

Still under renovation? Or is it already done? I'll go have a look tmr.

8. ShineSun

ShineSun Regular Member

telemarketer,singtel
    it is alrdy done 6 months ago =D.and im loving it.:D

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    There are open-air badminton courts in many Singapore housing estates and these are normally drawn with additional cicular and semi-circular lines to accommodate 'sepak takraw' (a rattan ball game popular with the Malay community). The ball is kicked with the legs and head to those uninitiated, and it is a game which has apparently similar court measurements as badminton, including the net height.

Unfortunately, as mentioned, the hot weather, rain and the wind do not suit badminton as these courts are usually not sheltered by both the trees and buildings adequately and the courts themselves are usually not as well maintained. For social badminton, it may be acceptable but not serious badminton.

I wonder how good are the courts that ShineSun have brought to our attention. Care to show some pics? :)

10. qinglong

qinglong Regular Member

I stay at the red-brick blocks near Montfort Secondary and the winds are quite frequent and strong, even with blockage. Hougang remains windy even with the erection of the newer HDB blocks at nearby Sengkang.
    SS, how is it possible that you can obtain no-wind playing conditions? :confused:

11. ShineSun

ShineSun Regular Member

telemarketer,singtel
    i refer to ur question regarding the sepak takraw "lines" addition that they do not occur in any of the courts i have noted.the courts that are constructed are made of concrete enamel(high quality) as i myself asked the contractors when it was still under construction.the area is clustered around 3 blocks which is breezeless and when it rains i guarantee u it washes the court and has a cooling effect.the sun is blocked by the flats and the best play time would be 6-10pm and morning.and nope the courts i mentioned are constructed purposefully for badminton only.the net holders are all standard badminton heights.the sepak takraw cum badminton courts are the prevailing ones 3 years ago.i cant upload my pic for some technical reason but u can visit the court i mentioned blk 869 and blk 938 and u will find it fitting my description.i have been playing dere for 4 months and unless it rains(1 day per week minimum)i wont be there.

#11 ShineSun, Nov 16, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  12. ShineSun

ShineSun Regular Member

telemarketer,singtel
    Qinglong are u refering to the 869 badminton court?.if so i find that area cooling at even noon as it is literally blocked out by the surrounding trees and of course 869.869 is also one of the 20 courts i mentioned in my "locality thread" of the 20 recently constructed courts in hougang.869 is blocked by the carpark too and its actually constructed below ground level ( u can see the 1.5 metre depression,it was designed this way as a measure to obstruct and prevent minimal wind interruption.:)

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    You lucky man, the sun really shines on you! :)

Looks like they really want to promote badminton to the grassroots with so meticulous court constructions, even a 'sunken' one specifically for badminton!

I wonder what is the procedure for booking at the location itself? (You did mention in your caption that "Booking of Courts Unneccessary". Or is it on a first-come-first-served basis? Since you have to bring your own net, I suppose you need to have a group who is able to stay put and play for hours. But won't there be complaints and what about others queueing up? Unless the court is NOt for free, which doesn't seem to be the case.

I will certainly visit Blk 869 (Hougang - what street name?) one of these days. Maybe I can try out with you since you are there most times in the evenings? ;)

#13 Loh, Nov 16, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  14. ShineSun

ShineSun Regular Member

telemarketer,singtel
    that place i tell ,its every badminton players dreAM!!!for the whole week there is little activity except for a few hours by those children playing "kids" badminton.I KNOW U DO NOT EXPECT TO HEAR THIS BUT,THE COURT IS FREE.NO ONE IS thERE ALWAYS,THE LOCATION ITSELF HAS NO BREEZE I REPEAT NO BREEZE AT ALL.im always there on wednesdays and tuesdays.on the other days i wud be in the other 19 courts around hougang.:cool:

#14 ShineSun, Nov 17, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  15. jimmy13654

jimmy13654 Regular Member

Sales Manager
    It's certainly good news for all badminton kakis out there ! especially with problems of booking sports hall courts during the weekends. Besides the weather condition, i also had doubts about the playing surface where most players preferred to wooden surface as injuries at least being minimize as compare to hard surface. Ya, looks like we have to try it out then you will know the end results.
    SS, cheers to you for your info !! [​IMG] :eek:

16. ShineSun

ShineSun Regular Member

telemarketer,singtel
    no problemo my name is shine by the way.BTw the court is made of concrete enamel high quality grip court.:)

17. Pahadi

Pahadi New Member

18. Pahadi

Pahadi New Member

Hi Guys,
    I need some help here where I wanted to know Is thr any rule in SG that only nearby HDB tenants or owners can use those open Badminton courts but not every one?