Boiled Strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Derpington, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Derpington

Derpington Regular Member

Has anyone tried boiling their strings?

Here in Indonesia, some people (amateurs ofc, not pros) boil their strings with hot tea, that they claim to give more crisp sounds, more durability, and better hits??

I find this ridiculous and went to google to see if people abroad have similar method, and found guitarists or bassists do? They say it's to release grime and make brighter tone..

So i guess it IS true..?

2. MoonJogger

MoonJogger Regular Member

I play Badminton AND Bass Guitars. I have tried dipping new badminton strings to hot water (with tea) also, I just didnt feel any different at all. Yes I know about the guy who spread the word about boilling strings in Indonesia.

I tried boilling bass guitar strings when they became dull after a few months, they came back brighter sounding for a few days and then back to dull again. So its just a way to prolong the strings' life but only for so few days.

Sent from my SM-A750GN using Tapatalk

3. Derpington

Yeah i don't see the logic behind making it any better.
    And why tea??

I can only understand if it will loosen the string and might prolong its life but who knows if the hot water will damage instead.

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

The only tea i ever use for badminton are just to clean up a wooden court, to makes it less slippery. Never hear tea used on string. Or maybe boil our hand so it would grip tight to the handle:p

5. Derpington

Go find a guy on IG or Youtube. He claims he's sold the so called boiled strings all over the country. He uses BG66 to boil.

And when I went to google, 2 more Indo guys also made videos about it. I didn't bother to watch it though.

#5 Derpington, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020